MAVERICKFORD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0
Saw this in the New Ford Proud Videos

next-gen-ford-mustang-2-1539955908.jpg

Ford Mustang Hybrid Shown in New Bryan Cranston–Led Ad Campaign

Ford has been talking about the idea of a hybrid version of the Mustang for years now—and we finally have our first glimpse at what this new model will look like. The quick teaser comes as part of Ford's new ad campaign, called "Built Ford Proud," in a spot called "The Future Is Built" that features actor Bryan Cranston.

The crucial part of the ad is a brief moment when a cutaway of an engine congeals into a futuristic-looking front end emblazoned with a Mustang logo. This tells us a fair amount about the the new electrified Mustang. The engine's two cylinder banks and four injectors mean that it will be powered by a V-8 engine, with some sort of electric motor supplanting it, while the headlights, closed-off front end, and different mirrors denote this new model as a next-generation Mustang, rather than just a version of the current car.

ford-hybrid-mustang-1539957030.jpg

Another shot in the new ad might also suggest that Ford is planning to apply the Mach 1 nameplate to this new gas-electric Mustang. A quick cut of the original Mach 1 Mustang appears just before the teaser of the upcoming car, and we know Ford has shelved that iconic name for its upcoming all-electric crossover, which will now wear a different badge.

When will this new Stang arrive? Ford has previously stated that the Mustang hybrid would arrive "by 2020," meaning that the car is likely to make its debut that year as a 2021 model. That would make sense given the current-generation Mustang's timeline; it debuted for the 2014 model year and received a refresh for 2018. We know very little about the next-generation car other than the fact that it will offer this hybrid model and that it will continue to ride on a rear-wheel-drive unibody platform.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Just posted this in the next-gen thread. I'm hoping this is more the "Mustang SUV" than the hybrid Mustang.....the latter of which I expect to "just" be a hybrid S550 (or S650).

What I'm REALLY hoping is that this is not the face of the next-gen Mustang.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Front end just keeps getting worse as time progresses.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
It's not going to be a SUV but more of a crossover. Supposed to compete with the Audi A7 and Panamera.
It is also going to be a turbo'd v8

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You almost had me going....

There is not enough there to make any definite statements. The hybrid with two banks statement had me groan about the 3.7 V6 Hybrid. I doubt they would hybridize the V8 but seeing how the car gets left behind in a dig against EV cars means it could be possible. Everyone including me talks about a hybrid combo except the most probable which is the Ecoboost hybrid.

But who knows...

DoubleX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT
For what it’s worth, I like the commercial. Really good advertising.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
If they really do hybridize the V8 - I’m in with Mustang #4! Yes, that would seem to tap dance around the problem of keeping the car relevant without losing too much of its character...

So I could be in on this thing. Never thought they would hybridize the V8 though. Never in a million years but there you go!

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Front end just keeps getting worse as time progresses.
As hybrids and Electrification increases the traditional face of cars will change rapidly. The ICE requires a fair amount of frontal area. Electrification affords the ability to incorporate more aero dynamic features to increase efficiency, or increase performance with more aggressive passive aero.

That teaser is not S650, or the S550 successor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pakman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
I wouldn't say this commercial is any confirmation that the new hybrid Mustang will be powered by a V8. That looks just like a 15-17 s550 engine bay it's zooming into. I wouldn't say that it showing up right before the flash of the new hybrid means anything. I just think it's trying to show, "we're evolving".

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
I wouldn't say this commercial is any confirmation that the new hybrid Mustang will be powered by a V8. That looks just like a 15-17 s550 engine bay it's zooming into. I wouldn't say that it showing up right before the flash of the new hybrid means anything. I just think it's trying to show, "we're evolving".
I agree. That's just the current engine bay. The shot after that is a full electric concept since it has no grill. But I doubt (hope) it's not really the Mustang. I doubt they'd show that much detail so soon.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I agree. That's just the current engine bay. The shot after that is a full electric concept since it has no grill. But I doubt (hope) it's not really the Mustang. I doubt they'd show that much detail so soon.
That is a teaser of the 4dr Mustang based crossover.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

Agreed. No grill and electrified pony logo means EV and not hybrid with a Mustang.

THEREFORE A MUSTANG EV IS ON THE WAY!

Deal with that... :crackup:
Sponsored

Last edited: