Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Would anyone be interested on a Hybrid 5.0L?
I would be interested in reading about it, but I wouldn't buy it unless there were no other options (including just keeping my current car, buying used or building something). I would really prefer the Mustang to stay as simple as possible so I can continue to afford to buy newer vehicles rather than settling for something older.

I don't really care if an electric or hybrid is faster 0-60 than my car. I would rather see a larger displacement V8 or a turbocharged smaller displacement V8 over anything utilizing electrics. I do by far prefer the 5.0 V8 over a V6 or 4 cylinder, though.

If anything, add lightness. :)

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'd never buy it for a toy however id buy a SUV/ Bronco. If I could get a Bronco off road edition 5.L with additional HP from an electric motor for 45K starting, I'd be interested.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
I agree totally with Wildcatgoal. All i see are high tech cool stuff for the Mustang that very few average people can afford any longer. 50K plus Bullitt, 80K GT500, and if the Mach1 ever appears for the Mustang 60K, are examples. Just give me some options of a low priced entry level GT like I purchased in 2015 that I can customize as I like.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I agree totally with Wildcatgoal. All i see are high tech cool stuff for the Mustang that very few average people can afford any longer. 50K plus Bullitt, 80K GT500, and if the Mach1 ever appears for the Mustang 60K, are examples. Just give me some options of a low priced entry level GT like I purchased in 2015 that I can customize as I like.
Did we just become best friends?

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Hybrid 5.0? No thanks.

Hybrid 2.0 makes a lot more sense.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
I would be interested in reading about it, but I wouldn't buy it unless there were no other options (including just keeping my current car, buying used or building something). I would really prefer the Mustang to stay as simple as possible so I can continue to afford to buy newer vehicles rather than settling for something older.

I don't really care if an electric or hybrid is faster 0-60 than my car. I would rather see a larger displacement V8 or a turbocharged smaller displacement V8 over anything utilizing electrics. I do by far prefer the 5.0 V8 over a V6 or 4 cylinder, though.

If anything, add lightness. :)
Well, the ship has sailed on simplicity. And cheapness. As for adding lightness, I'm all for it, but there goes your affordability angle. Aluminum & CF aren't cheap.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Agreed.

Whilst I'm sure the V8's days are numbered, I'm hoping/expecting the Coyote will live for the duration of S650.

Ideally, we'd still have:

5.0 + electric motors
5.2 + FI + electric motors

:ford:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
LAST OF THE V8 INTERCEPTORS......
mm1.jpg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well, the ship has sailed on simplicity. And cheapness. As for adding lightness, I'm all for it, but there goes your affordability angle. Aluminum & CF aren't cheap.
Unless the lighter weight is done by making the car less of a huge barge. These cars are significantly bigger than I would prefer.

I disagree with your "ship sailing" comment as well. Cars can become more simple again. And the manufacturers can sell a lot more cars if those cars can be sold at lower prices.

Agreed.

Whilst I'm sure the V8's days are numbered, I'm hoping/expecting the Coyote will live for the duration of S650.

Ideally, we'd still have:

5.0 + electric motors
5.2 + FI + electric motors

:ford:
IMO there's no reason to give up on V8s without a fight. There's absolutely nothing wrong with cars continuing to utilize V8 engines. I'm very, very tired of the fanatics consistently getting their way. We reasonable people tend to compromise over and over again. Meanwhile, the things we love are being taken from us.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just leave the V8 and the Gasoline and just walk away.....
index2.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Compared to the Windsor days, sure, and not all of that's been a bad thing.

The objections are to making cars even more complex and computerized than they already are.

I'd already choose a car with softer dragstrip capability (even much softer) that satisfied my own performance preferences over a faster car that failed in certain other respects. Adding 'hybrid' to the list of deal-breakers isn't hard at all.

Norm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.