Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Meh. I'll stop buying Mustangs when the V8 is not available. I don't care what displacement.

Hear that, Ford? I'll just buy the last V8 and that will be it. Sad.
Same here, but I do care what displacement, the bigger the better.
Sponsored

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Wait a minute, I remember the first electric cars having a much higher carbon footprint than traditional cars. That was like almost a decade ago. Are these electric cars still not efficient enough to offset where the power is generated?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Oh folks...

I know, change is scary. I remember people losing their minds when the "mighty 5.0" went away in favor of the 4.6 and how it was literally the end of the world.

The V8 isn't going anywhere for a while yet.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'87 Mustang (Sold); '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '19 Ranger
3.0 TT V6 from the Lincoln + hybrid electric motors for boost ala McLaren P1 and you have the next Mustang performance model. Wonder what it will be called?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Who cares about the v8. Give me a diesel in the Stang!

Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Valid points that a lot of greenies don't consider. I don't worry about us being able to build more power generation, but it also can't happen overnight. Power storage is definitely a limiter with current technology. Breakthroughs in battery technology are needed before we can make the big leap of electrical usage in vehicles. As far as renewables the driver will be capitalism. If there is money to be made from it, changes will come. Not saying we can't do all of these things but Obama and his ilk have been putting the cart before the horse and trying to kill coal without a suitable replacement in terms of volume power production.
The problem is that capitalism is rarely the driver unless there is an immediate projected impact on short to mid term profits. Corporations rarely look beyond 5-10 year projections. These changes MUST be mandated by the government, because if we wait until the market decides its time, it is far too late. Its a matter of long term national security.

The sensible long term policy would be a progressive gasoline/oil/coal tax. This would create pressure on private industry to innovate. It would create incentive to invest in greener energy sources, and result in lower costs due to economies of scale. In the short term, the taxed monies could be used to rebuild our energy infrastructure, build renewable sources (wind, nuclear, solar) and fund general science energy research (fusion).

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
i know all i ever wanted was more low end torque for more wheel hop and even less traction.

Red2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well that settles one decision for me. If the hybrid is the default instead of an option, I'm not ever ever ever ever selling my coyote V8.

BosMus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
People who think this isn't the end of the NA v8 motor are way too naive. If this new motor sells well, they will absolutely drop the v8, maybe not tomorrow, but 5-10 years? Definitely. Just look at the success of the v4 turbo, and the recent announcement about getting rid of the v6 as a prime example. It doesn't make financial sense to build 10 different versions of the same model. Unfortunately there are more people out there who care more about spreadsheet numbers than driving experience.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
While I agree we need Nuclear power, I think calling it true green is a bit much. Ask those that lived in the Fukashima exclusion zones. Yucca Mountain/disposal is still a real issue.

We absolutely need to upgrade our grid. Its something that was discussed 6 years ago as a mechanism to kick start the economy, but was shot down.

There is a finite supply of oil. Whether we run out in 30 years or 100, it makes sense to move towards alternatives sooner, as the environmental impact of ICE automobiles is known. Human driven climate change is happening. People need to realize there is a cost to pissing carbon emissions into our closed system for 100+ years. The long term cost to NOT move towards better systems is significantly greater, especially in regards to national security and global instability. Its incontrovertible. Sea levels are rising. Its getting warmer. We continue to pump out way too much CO2.

If energy costs more in the short term, so be it.
This issue is much bigger than "I want my v8".

In the grand scope of things, if power prices go up and people are limited by what they can spew into the environment, that's a fair trade off to the alternative of accelerated rising sea levels, having to deal with millions of refugees, wars over clean water resources, and global food shortages.
Fukushima is 1960's nuclear technology. The newest reactor designs are not only far safer, but much more efficient. They also produce much less waste. Even further on from that, which we should be throwing billions into if it weren't for the natural gas/coal lobbies is breeder reactors, which create about as much waste over their lifetime as to fit into an oil drum. That's it.

"I want my V8" is entirely achievable if we were to overhaul our base power production.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is that capitalism is rarely the driver unless there is an immediate projected impact on short to mid term profits. Corporations rarely look beyond 5-10 year projections. These changes MUST be mandated by the government, because if we wait until the market decides its time, it is far too late. Its a matter of long term national security.

The sensible long term policy would be a progressive gasoline/oil/coal tax. This would create pressure on private industry to innovate. It would create incentive to invest in greener energy sources, and result in lower costs due to economies of scale. In the short term, the taxed monies could be used to rebuild our energy infrastructure, build renewable sources (wind, nuclear, solar) and fund general science energy research (fusion).
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

BobbyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hmmmm.... Interesting.

I wonder if the hybrid will be the lower end option, but still pumping out current GT numbers, RWD. Then the GT will stay (beefed up) with 4WD to make it the superior option?

Or the opposite and the Hybrid version gets 4WD and is the higher option.

If it is a TTV6 or even current ecoboost with hybrid tech then its going to match or beat a V8 off the line. That instant torque, assuming the electric motor makes 100hp/100tq will make it very close with the current ecoboost in the stang, the 3.5TT will easily surpass current GT numbers.

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
Interesting news

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I suspect that after GT350 has completed it's production run...and if there is another GT500, Mach 1, Cobra or Boss something produced...there will not be anymore special-edition models.
Ford is turning itself into a "mobility company" and no is longer interested in celebrating the relics of it's old, gas-fueled, rubber-burning, CO-spewing history.
Mustang will be turned into a "mobility platform"...and soon enough, it will be driving itself.
"Sounds" like a blast.

Fryguy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP
I suspect that after GT350 has completed it's production run...and if there is another GT500, Mach 1, Cobra or Boss something produced...there will not be anymore special-edition models.
Ford is turning itself into a "mobility company" and no is longer interested in celebrating the relics of it's old, gas-fueled, rubber-burning, CO-spewing history.
Mustang will be turned into a "mobility platform"...and soon enough, it will be driving itself.
"Sounds" like a blast.
I think you couldn't be further from the truth...
Look at all of the special edition models that have come out over the last 5 years? Ford has been a leader in this area and I think they will continue to be.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.