Mustang Hood Gets Stuck

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I recently bought a used 2015 mustang gt. It has 92k miles on it.

A few days after I got it I noticed that when I popped the hood it would unlock but not actually come up at all. I would have to grab onto the sides and yank the hood up so I could access the latch. This kept happening until I washed the car. After I washes the car it stopped happening, but after a few days came right back.

Recently went 2 weeks without washing it and I couldn’t even get the hood open. I could unlock it and lock it but I could never get it to pop up enough to access the latch. Had to wash it to get it to open.

Anyone have any ideas on what the cause could be or what to do? Thanks for any input!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Get some silicone spray and spray down the latch assembly the next time you have the hood open. It should help with the operation going forward.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Get some silicone spray and spray down the latch assembly the next time you have the hood open. It should help with the operation going forward.
Forgot to mention I have sprayed some wd40 on it when I first noticed and it didn’t seem to help much but I’ll try again

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Forgot to mention I have sprayed some wd40 on it when I first noticed and it didn’t seem to help much but I’ll try again
WD40 isn't providing any oil/lubricant. It is a "water displacement" product (why it is called WD). So try some silicone spray as suggested.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I know this is a few months old but just wanted to comment an update on my results.

Looks like my issue has been solved for 2 months now I haven't had the same issue. Found some silicone spray and sprayed the hood latch really well. Opened the hood a few times to work it into everything.

I may need to re-apply eventually but it has been working great so far!

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
WD40 isn't providing any oil/lubricant. It is a "water displacement" product (why it is called WD). So try some silicone spray as suggested.
WD40 does contain some light oil (per the MSDS) along with Stoddard solvent (even if WD40 does not like to admit it) and some other ingredients. But as you note, it is not much of a lubricant and silicone is probably a better choice.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you have it fixed, comes back. Look for a product called Dry Slide it is made for cable operated controls.

WD is a good all around product that can be used for many things. Have a look at the web site some time educate yourself.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Sounds like you have it fixed, comes back. Look for a product called Dry Slide it is made for cable operated controls.

WD is a good all around product that can be used for many things. Have a look at the web site some time educate yourself.
Will do. Don’t know a lot about mechanics or fixing shit or cars honestly. Just trying to learn what I can while I deal with my car lmao

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You know what they say learn by doing, one step at a time.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I recently bought a used 2015 mustang gt. It has 92k miles on it.

A few days after I got it I noticed that when I popped the hood it would unlock but not actually come up at all. I would have to grab onto the sides and yank the hood up so I could access the latch. This kept happening until I washed the car. After I washes the car it stopped happening, but after a few days came right back.

Recently went 2 weeks without washi?
You know what they say learn by doing, one step at a time.
ng it and I couldn’t even get the hood open. I could unlock it and lock it but I could never get it to pop up enough to access the latch. Had to wash it to get it to open.

Anyone have any ideas on what the cause could be or what to do? Thanks for any input!
I use lithium greased

DuPont Teflon White Lithium Grease https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GKTZI...abc_EC4DZND8AGYSPPEWF2FP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

Pucklord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT California Special
Thank you so much for your idea.
I had the same issue hood latch won’t open easily and needs so much force, I used WD40 and did nothing! I was planning to buy a new latch till I saw this thread.. I went a head and bought me Q8 silicone spray and boy oh boy the latch is like new so smooth and the hood is now opening so easy. Thanks again. Highly recommend this silicone spray

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I've never found WD40 to be all that helpful. Aerokroil has worked well for me. I recently had a similar problem with my '00 Viper...hood was very difficult to open and close (which is a bit of a project on these cars anyway) and the Aerokroil loosened everything up nicely. I've also found that the white lithium grease can harden and become a problem, FYI.

Side note: when I got my ;'16 Interceptor Utility, the hood release was incredibly hard to pull. A friend and I disconnected the cable at the latch, and slid it through a piece of cardboard to hold it upright. We dripped some air tool oil into the cable and worked it back and forth. After a day of so....it pulls through with no effort at all. Had to wait for the oil to get inside the cable.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a tip, it is not the latch or release cable it's the pull handle, on the kick panel. Because it is plastic, it wants to distort as it is being pulled back.

Instead of pulling straight back, it wants to move to the right. Out, away from the kick panel, before it starts to pull on the cable.

This replaces plastic and drastically improves the action, easily found purchased mine from Steeda, black & polished aluminum are also available.

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 7.40.49 AM.png

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
check the alignment of the latching mechanism with the hood "c" wire. misaligned components can bind.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thank you so much for your idea.
I had the same issue hood latch won’t open easily and needs so much force, I used WD40 and did nothing! I was planning to buy a new latch till I saw this thread.. I went a head and bought me Q8 silicone spray and boy oh boy the latch is like new so smooth and the hood is now opening so easy. Thanks again. Highly recommend this silicone spray
Glad the prior post helped you out and all is working well now!
Sponsored