Sponsored

Mustang GT4 at Road America

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I think he was being nice and just did want to say the car is less than ideal :-) lol

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I think he was being nice and just did want to say the car is less than ideal :-) lol
They qualified well and Kyle was able to run decent but, the others didn't seem to have much. If Joey was 7 tenths off Pumpelly, then either his car must have been significantly off pace (say, 1.5 sec) or he was in consistent traffic, because that dude can flat wheel a car.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I figured, well hopefully someday we can drive and trade notes, I have never got to wheel a max effort car

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I believe there's a bit of unfinished business of ours.

OP
OP
WCRookie99

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Couldn't agree more with the Pro vs (some)gentleman drivers.

This racing is way more strategy and Teamwork in the Pits (say 30%) then Drivers (70%). Too much can go wrong with Pit Strategy and Pits stops.

The Mustang GT4 was fast enough to win but just had some bad luck. Nobody was faster then 2:16.7 (all weekend) and Billy J was .1 off of that. Then during the Race 218.0 was fastest and Kyle was .1 off that. He could have been on the podium but Skeen is crazy (good) and passes everywhere. Hard to keep him behind you.

Talking to Multimatic, Mustang GT4 is a complex car to setup and drive (with all the computer settings available to the Teams) You really have to know what you're doing. Not saying Kohr or PF don't as they're getting huge support from Ford. Hell at Daytona I saw at least (5) Ford Factory guys helping as well as many Multimatic employees (who built the cars).

IMO, the Mustang GT4 is super solid and would be a blast to drive and deserved better fate at Road America but that's why you race.

Looking forward to the Next Gen GT3 and GT4 Mustangs, they will be competitive, you watch.

As for now, with two races to go, the Mustangs should win one of them.

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I really, really enjoyed car on the track. This is my second track car, and it gives me loads of confidence, and is a blast. GT3 and GT4 is a whole different ball game. At max effort, sound, feel, and refinement of the car are all second fiddle to laptime. Not sure my tubby ass has what it takes to drive a lap in GT3 car.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I really, really enjoyed car on the track. This is my second track car, and it gives me loads of confidence, and is a blast. GT3 and GT4 is a whole different ball game. At max effort, sound, feel, and refinement of the car are all second fiddle to laptime. Not sure my tubby ass has what it takes to drive a lap in GT3 car.
The GT4 is just a souped-up street car. It has all the stuff needed for race duty, but GT4 engines are usually detuned, the chassis is stock with a cage and aero is pretty minimal. A GT3 is a whole different kettle of fish. Now we've got racing everything, big tires, real aero and a proper chassis with a road car unibody for decoration. "Normal" drivers can get in a GT4 and be reasonably comfortable driving it (which is why they tend to be so eager to OVER drive it). If you want to have any hope of getting around a track well in a GT3, you better have a couple years of experience under your belt in something else. They're the real deal.

Sponsored

Bullitt Tooth Tony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350 H3929
Isn't the current Mustang GT4 being retired at the end of the season? I was looking through past results and they seemed to dominate 2018-19, but I guess their pace has fallen back compared to newer GT4 cars? Still pretty cool to see them rip around the track! I saw a GT4 race before the Music City GP last year and the Mustang GT4 sounded the best (and loudest) of all the entries

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
They qualified well and Kyle was able to run decent but, the others didn't seem to have much. If Joey was 7 tenths off Pumpelly, then either his car must have been significantly off pace (say, 1.5 sec) or he was in consistent traffic, because that dude can flat wheel a car.
All the Mustang GT4's had issues during the race to some degree. The race was quite the mess. The race director was getting pretty upset just mid-way through the race due to all the cautions and car "argy-bargy".

As for the Mustang's in particular, the #40 had to go behind the wall for a short period towards the end of Pesek's stint. I forget why, but when it came back out it was in Hands control and it wasn't running as fast as Hand could probably drive it. You have to keep in mind, going behind the wall, you'll be laps down and out of contention for any major points or positions. There' s no point beating up the car with fast laps. It's just finishing the race and/or running enough of it to get points at that point.

The #877 was doing fine under Monks control until an incident in T1 with the #7 Volt car of Brynjolfsson. Honestly, I think there was more fault with Monk's action into T1 than Brynjolfsson, unfortunately (nothing against her, but I think she turned in too soon/too much and should've seen the #7 there); although both were "at fault" to a degree and it was mostly just one of those race incidents... Somehow Monk got the car out of the gravel, but lost a few spots. Marcelli drove fantastic and was faster than the majority of cars in front of him. If the #877 didn't have the incident it did, I'm sure they would've been somewhere near 3rd at least.

The #59 was doing completely fine until Michaelian's stint, over from Johnson, was hit in the passenger rear and spun into the T8-T9 bridge by the #96 BMW of Barletta. This one, I don't see how the #96 didn't get a penalty. Maybe it was just an honest mistake from Barletta, but the incident seemed very, very avoidable on the #96 BMW's part... Michaelian did absolutely nothing wrong and was driving well. The #59 car was entirely compacted at the front, into the engine, and Michaelian is said to have fractured or broken his wrist, but is otherwise OK. The car looked like it was totaled.

The #60 dropped back due to a front brake issue. Otherwise Mars and Stacy could've likely held somewhere up-front. The brakes were fading due to an issue with the brake pedal box's bias bar being bent and holding the front brakes slightly applied. Keep in mind that Road America has many very high speed sections where you need to get on the brakes HARD at the end of. Just one of those "dumb" things that happens. Both drivers, Mars and Stacy, dealt with it as best as they could, especially Mars, but the car had to come in for new front brakes at some point. The car went back out, so Stacy could finish his stint, but they only ran enough laps to get their points and then came back in.

Couldn't agree more with the Pro vs (some)gentleman drivers.

This racing is way more strategy and Teamwork in the Pits (say 30%) then Drivers (70%). Too much can go wrong with Pit Strategy and Pits stops.

The Mustang GT4 was fast enough to win but just had some bad luck. Nobody was faster then 2:16.7 (all weekend) and Billy J was .1 off of that. Then during the Race 218.0 was fastest and Kyle was .1 off that. He could have been on the podium but Skeen is crazy (good) and passes everywhere. Hard to keep him behind you.

Talking to Multimatic, Mustang GT4 is a complex car to setup and drive (with all the computer settings available to the Teams) You really have to know what you're doing. Not saying Kohr or PF don't as they're getting huge support from Ford. Hell at Daytona I saw at least (5) Ford Factory guys helping as well as many Multimatic employees (who built the cars).

IMO, the Mustang GT4 is super solid and would be a blast to drive and deserved better fate at Road America but that's why you race.

Looking forward to the Next Gen GT3 and GT4 Mustangs, they will be competitive, you watch.

As for now, with two races to go, the Mustangs should win one of them.
KOHR (formerly Rehagen Racing) spearheaded the Mustang GT4 development with Multimatic. If any team knows how to set those Mustangs up, KHOR does. Yeah, sure Multimatic does too...

Isn't the current Mustang GT4 being retired at the end of the season? I was looking through past results and they seemed to dominate 2018-19, but I guess their pace has fallen back compared to newer GT4 cars? Still pretty cool to see them rip around the track! I saw a GT4 race before the Music City GP last year and the Mustang GT4 sounded the best (and loudest) of all the entries
Next year (2023) there will be a new GT4 Mustang and then a GT3 Mustang following that (2024) for the new 2023+ GT3 regs.

When the current Mustang GT4 rolled out, it did great in Pirelli WC GTS/SRO GT4, IMSA CTSCC/IMPC GS and British GT GT4. In IMSA, though it quickly got heavily BoP'ed out of being competitive around 2019. It wasn't until the last few years, as teams jumped away from the car, that IMSA began lifting some of the BoP. However, beyond that, the Mustang GT4 was never a very "friendly" car for unexperienced teams or drivers... the car was developed more in-scope for well-experienced drivers/pro-drivers and teams.

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the summary. I didn't know the particulars of any of those cars. That bias bar failure is a particularly unusual one. I've never heard of one failing like that outside of a crash. A driver should never be able to physically damage a brake system component, regardless of how often or hard they hit the pedal. What pedal box do they use?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Superb post and on point Mountain376.

The #59 was doing completely fine until Michaelian's stint, over from Johnson, was hit in the passenger rear and spun into the T8-T9 bridge by the #96 BMW of Barletta. This one, I don't see how the #96 didn't get a penalty. Maybe it was just an honest mistake from Barletta, but the incident seemed very, very avoidable on the #96 BMW's part... Michaelian did absolutely nothing wrong and was driving well. The #59 car was entirely compacted at the front, into the engine, and Michaelian is said to have fractured or broken his wrist, but is otherwise OK. The car looked like it was totaled.

KOHR (formerly Rehagen Racing) spearheaded the Mustang GT4 development with Multimatic. If any team knows how to set those Mustangs up, KHOR does. Yeah, sure Multimatic does too...
I don't see how Barletta didn't get a penalty either for what he did. That was a shit move that could have seriously hurt or killed somebody.

I talked to Dean quite a bit about setup. For the life of me I can't remember his name but there was a gentleman that worked for Ford for quite some time both in Production and in motorsports, an absolute vehicle dynamics guru. He was the go to guy at the IMSA races on the GT4 Mustangs. He left Ford to do consulting work a few years ago.

On Edit: It was Jay O'Connell I was talking about.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The race director was getting pretty upset just mid-way through the race due to all the cautions and car "argy-bargy".
apparently he needs to watch some Aussie SuperCar races on his DVR. Them down-under's are shameless about punting each other off.
Sponsored