Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Based on another thread I have, about knowing if we truly receive Standard or Premium petrol when purchasing, I wanted to ask this question, too...

You own a Mustang GT. Curious, do you purchase Standard petrol or Premium petrol for it?
Looking forward to your responses.

PS: I own a 2018 Mustang GT PP1, and use Premium petrol, only from QuikTrip, unless going across multiple states.
Sponsored

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Based on another thread I have, about knowing if we truly receive Standard or Premium petrol when purchasing, I wanted to ask this question, too...

You own a Mustang GT. Curious, do you purchase Standard petrol or Premium petrol for it?

PS: I own a 2018 Mustang GT PP1, and use Premium petrol, only from QuikTrip, unless going across multiple states.
Nothing but 92. I know that some people say that's dumb, but after rebuilding fuel injectors on a Vortec Chevy 5.7 (one of the worst fuel injection systems ever) I'm a firm believer in the best I can get.

I'd run 93 if I had the option.

Oh and since you live in Georgia it's GAS not Petrol. :)

Seriously, all three grades we're stuck with the same level of ethenol. I've been tempted to find a Sunoco and buy fuel by the barrel, but where the hell would I store it? Neighbors would be pissed.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Oh and since you live in Georgia it's GAS not Petrol. :)
:D
You beat me to it!
Somebody has been watching too much Top Gear.

I drive my car as intended by the mad scientists who invented the Coyote V8 so I always run 93.

I realize that the DI and sophisticated software can keep air:fuel in check but the 2018+ engines are 12:1 motors that rev to 7,500. Putting in cheap gas seems like a crazy way to save a few bucks.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Gee, another regular vs. premium petrol thread. Haven’t had one of these in about 5 minutes.

Kidding Ivan, I think we are all getting a little loopy at this point. :like:

I use Costco or Shell 93. I’ve tried using regular but my gas door closes as soon is I touch the pump. :cwl::crackup:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
'18 EcoBoost Premium here so twin turbos.
I just looked in my owner's manual. It says the engine is designed to run on 87 octane but it's recommended to run at least 91 octane. It's a manual for '18 Mustangs and doesn't make a distinction between engines for fuel so I assume those things apply to the v8 as well.
My understanding of the octane rating is that higher octane results in less pre ignition, higher power and better fuel economy. Higher octane is susposed to be especially important in higher compression and turbo engines. I try to run a "top tier" gasoline which has the better additive package. Which is what affects the fuel system and engine contaminats, not octane. I've also been told that it's best to buy gas at a station that sells a lot of gas so that you're getting fresh fuel.
I most often buy my fuel at the corner Kroger with QuickTrip as my second option. My Kroger accepts the Shell points card which I'm told means they have a contract for gas with and sell Shell gas which is top tier fuel. QT also sells top tier fuel.
Generally I'll use a mid grade as a compromise between cost and performance. I haven't really noticed any difference in performance or economy between the mid grade and premium fuel.

Sponsored

kirk533

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
I only use premium because the FP Power Pack requires 91+. Before that I only used standard octane.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you buy an expensive car and put cheap fuel in it? Or put another way, why would you buy a high performance car and low octane fuel in it? That low grade fuel is for the lawnmower or the family van. And seriously, why would you even ask such a question? :facepalm:

Last edited:

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
The car does make more power on 93 than 87, so why not spend the extra $$? People have been spending $500 on an intake and $1000 on a cat back for years in the quest for questionable power gains. A few extra dollars per fill won't hurt.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the responses, keep them coming.
Ps: being British, it will always be petrol, favourite and colour - LOL

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Bone stock.

93 always (usually from QT) unless I am on the road, in which I will get the highest available.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
E85 preferred. 93 in the winter.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
And Tyre's of course. Tea and crumpets anyone? :inspect:

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Hey we have an awesome UK community here. Just messing with you. In fact I think you're allowed to say "Bonnet" here instead of "Hood".

There's so many additives to fuel as well, but there's very little difference between brand names by grade honestly. One just had to pay attention to what fuel companies add what to their fuel grades and decide if you want to run that through your injectors. Often that can be regulated by a state's enviro laws (ie California). Personally I'd be more concerned about the storage tanks at a particular station versus the brand name. Some of these tanks at various stations probably needed to be swapped 10 years ago.

Also the moment you start changing your intake, throttlebody, tune....then you're in a whole different ballgame in terms of fuel and performance. I haven't gotten there yet with my car.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
It’s is about more than top end horsepower. You lose lots of torque down low as well.

I read an article that tested many vehicles and found that the 2018 Gt lose about 9% gas mileage when using regular vs premium. I have never tested this though. I just run premium like a normal person.
By normal person you mean American- lol
Sponsored