Sponsored

Mustang GT vs ... (Post whatever you've raced and how it went)

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
A week ago I got my updated CAL to address my 3rd gear redlining at 5500k. I got a chance to test it out today and can say that it pulled through 7k. I feel sorry for the Lexus 500 that decided that was a good time to make a jump from the light. I swear I was not racing. All I know is I glanced in the rearview after the 7k shift and it looked like he decided to shift into reverse.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Put 180 miles on her this weekendā€¦and raced nothing šŸ˜¬
It definitely feels like there's spurts. One day everyone and their mother is going out of their way to play need for speed and then weeks can go by where it's grandma ville and I look like a douche just for shifting at 3k.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
not gonna lie...got my @$$ handed to me by what I can only assume was a big turbo WRX on the freeway.

jet black and fancy wheels, but it was 3am so canā€™t tell ya much more than that...except that turbo spool, holy crap that thing was loud!

roll racing starting at 55mph...I would jump out and he would SLOWWWWLY walk me all the way to about a buck ten, then he would either back out or ran outa turbo as I was starting to close the gap but neither of us wants to see the inside of a Mexican prison šŸ˜

I was on his passenger side, and I could hear that turbo over my car with the windows up...lol

(so I beat up on a blue SS camaro all the way home to feel better)
I've messed around with sti's a lot and none of them were big turbo :)

But you win some, you lose some. All fun.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Finally got to run with an M4ā€¦It was interesting in that whomever got the jump would walk the other oneā€¦

ie; if I got the jump he couldnā€™t catch me, and vice versa.

ā€¦.Iā€™m guessing that he wasnā€™t stock 444hp, but who knows?!?

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I like your honesty. A lot of people don't give the M cars the credit they deserve. I am sure there will be people that will say no way the M4 could walk your car but I think most of those people have never run up against an M driver that will really race the car. Us manuals, have to be careful with those M cars. Now from a roll, it can be a different story.

Finally got to run with an M4ā€¦It was interesting in that whomever got the jump would walk the other oneā€¦

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Aren't manual drivers one bad shift away from losing to a Prius :giggle:
If nothing breaks, I would hope you could recover in time but it's all circumstantial. I usually shift better in a race. I raced my friend's 2011 M5 with my 2009 Mini Cooper JCW in a parking lot. Launched near perfect at got to a little over 60 in the small space. He couldn't even wind up 1st gear really. Then we raced starting at 60mph, I had zero chance of course. It's usually when I stop at a random stop sign or something that I'll do my annual stall or when I think too much about making the smoothest shift humanity has ever seen and I'll completely chunk it and look in the rear view mirror to make sure parts aren't on the road behind me.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
I like your honesty. A lot of people don't give the M cars the credit they deserve. I am sure there will be people that will say no way the M4 could walk your car but I think most of those people have never run up against an M driver that will really race the car. Us manuals, have to be careful with those M cars. Now from a roll, it can be a different story.
oh I have always liked the M carsā€¦the M4 was on my short list before I found my 350R.

I agree they dont get the credit they deserve, as they are underrated right from the factory @420 wheel in stock form. then throw on a good tune and they are a sneeze away from 500 to the tiresā€¦just donā€™t tell @Mikthehun1 cause hes allergic to German cars šŸ˜‚

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
oh I have always liked the M carsā€¦the M4 was on my short list before I found my 350R.

I agree they dont get the credit they deserve, as they are underrated right from the factory @420 wheel in stock form. then throw on a good tune and they are a sneeze away from 500 to the tiresā€¦just donā€™t tell @Mikthehun1 cause hes allergic to German cars šŸ˜‚
It's not that they aren't great, they just don't last, and it costs a premium to keep them going after 100k miles. That's why they're the ultimate leasing machines.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335

They pretty much run identical times stock for stock to a GT350R.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I can agree with that. I never actually kept one long enough to hit 100k. The upkeep can get to be rather expensive, I admit.

It's not that they aren't great, they just don't last, and it costs a premium to keep them going after 100k miles. That's why they're the ultimate leasing machines.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
"Underrating" is not a thing that happens.
thatā€™s a cute theory you have there, but if you have been following BMW as long as you say then you would know they do it all the timeā€¦

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35852803/it-sure-seems-like-bmw-underrated-the-m3-and-m4s-473-hp/

https://www.motor1.com/news/494653/2021-bmw-m4-dyno-test/

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...eals-just-how-much-horsepower-it-really-makes

They pretty much run identical times stock for stock to a GT350R.
agreed šŸ‘šŸ¼

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
LOL, oh cmon manā€¦.your link proves my point, thereā€™s your facts right there. They CAN underrate the engine all day long, what they cannot do, is overrate šŸ˜Ž

ā€œ J1349Ā® was updated last year to eliminate some ambiguities that allowed engine makers to cite power and torque ratings higher than the engine's actual capabilities. Engine makers are free to cite power and torque figures drived from testing conducted outside the scope of the SAE standards, but they may not claim the figures are SAE-certifed. "

I would love to argue with ya all day long, but I help my brother run an AWD dyno in the Bay Area and have personally seen the underratings šŸŗ

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Source: my brother has a dyno :crackup:

Gotta love anecdata!
no sirā€¦source is your own link šŸ˜‰

im not sure what you want here; the car mags show it, the dyno shows it, I have seen it, and your article supports it.
ā€¦.somehow I donā€™t think you can be convinced šŸ˜‚

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

I agree they are underrated when compared to the SAE standard based on the trap speeds and dynos I've seen as well. I haven't confirmed this, but I suspect that both Porsche and BMW rate their hp at terrible conditions, i.e., 100F @ 6000' above sea level, so the density altitude is absurdly high. Then, when compared to the SAE standard (which equates to roughly 2000' density altitude IIRC), those engines will obviously make a lot more power.
Sponsored