Mustang GT vs ... (Post whatever you've raced and how it went)

beetle6986

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
They can fly but need to be wound up. And the V10 can sound like a F1 race car with the right exhaust work. The SMG transmissions are epically awesome but cost easily 25k to fix. Just another great BMW car you lease to avoid repair bills when close to 100k miles.
The old M5 BMWs are a maintenance nightmare. That is one BMW I would avoid. They are pretty quick for their time.
Advertisement

Sivi70980

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The old M5 BMWs are a maintenance nightmare. That is one BMW I would avoid. They are pretty quick for their time.
A good friend got one because it was his dream car. Not 8 months of ownership and it started falling apart on him. He nearly spent what he bought it for before giving up and moving on. Was a great 6 or so months though.

beetle6986

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A good friend got one because it was his dream car. Not 8 months of ownership and it started falling apart on him. He nearly spent what he bought it for before giving up and moving on. Was a great 6 or so months though.
I wouldn't hesitate to take my n54 335 to 200k+ miles without worrying about it. The V10 M5s were only good to 50k miles when the warranty expired. lol. That's why you can get them pretty cheap now even though they were around 90k new.

Sivi70980

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I wouldn't hesitate to take my n54 335 to 200k+ miles without worrying about it. The V10 M5s were only good to 50k miles when the warranty expired. lol. That's why you can get them pretty cheap now even though they were around 90k new.
I wish you all the luck and trouble free miles with your BMW. In my experience, from Mini to M5 to another friend's E30, all fall apart around 100k miles.

Dfeeds

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
took me a minute to figure out wtf i actually came across a few days ago. at first from far behind i thought it was a VW sporty sedan of some sort, but didnt recognize it as i got closer. then i saw the badge and didnt recognize it. had a carbon fiber hood and almost looked like a subaru for a minute too. but the exhaust sure as shit let me know it was a v8. i was thoroughly confused. finally figured out what i think it is, this Holden Commodore. i know of Holden, the monaro/GTO, and some of the other holden and GM cars but i had never seen this one. the badge was definitely Holden, and not Chevy SS.

pretty cool guy driving, just cruised a bit and finally had a go at it. pulled on him pretty well but i was more focused on figuring out just what in the hell i came up on. have to admit it looked and sounded really nice in person. same color orange as in the article linked. looked to have aftermarket exhaust, and the brakes were gigantic brembos, not sure if they were factory or aftermarket. car also had a great stance, looked lowered. definitely something you dont see every day!

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...oser-with-reveal-of-new-holden-commodore-ss-v
I'm more amused at your determination to figure out what it is. I can safely say I relate 😄

Dfeeds

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Off the light with a Tesla model X (not sure pack/motor) the other day. I didn't launch hard but DANG. Them boys are quick. He let off around 75 MPH. I feel like If we ran to 130 maybe you could come around but I have a slow manual and some regard for public safety. Fun to see those grocery getters move out. Kinda makes me want a Mach E for a daily.
Eh, idk if the Mach E is quite there yet. The GTs are in the wild and the trap speed I saw posted was 100 mph. That's... idk what happened but that's really low. There's some odd gearing going on with those. I was hoping for a bit more from a 60k vehicle with the Mustang, Mach, and GT badge stamped on it.

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
Eh, idk if the Mach E is quite there yet. The GTs are in the wild and the trap speed I saw posted was 100 mph. That's... idk what happened but that's really low. There's some odd gearing going on with those. I was hoping for a bit more from a 60k vehicle with the Mustang, Mach, and GT badge stamped on it.
I'm hoping for the Mustang, Mach, and GT badges to fall off and land on a proper fastback version.

Dfeeds

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'm hoping for the Mustang, Mach, and GT badges to fall off and land on a proper fastback version.
I would've preferred all three were never even humored for a crossover but here we are. I have mixed feelings on the GT performance. On one hand it's like "Ha! Eat it." On the other it's like "shit... giving the mustang a bad rep as a lame soccer mom car."

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
I would've preferred all three were never even humored for a crossover but here we are. I have mixed feelings on the GT performance. On one hand it's like "Ha! Eat it." On the other it's like "shit... giving the mustang a bad rep as a lame soccer mom car."
Yeah, no matter how fast they make the CUV, it's still a CUV. Have you come across anyone talking about their new Mustang, only to find out it's a Mach-E? That's the reality of things. Because of the market segment (that automakers created, then pushed), it's eventually going to outsell the fastback. The Mustang name is going to be more associated with a crossover than with over 55 years of heritage. The only thing it's good for is riling people up around here :giggle:

oneheadlite

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
...got smoked by a bicycle while coming down TN 143 from Roan Mtn.
WOW!!! Was that guy screamin' on that bike........... :rockon:

beetle6986

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish you all the luck and trouble free miles with your BMW. In my experience, from Mini to M5 to another friend's E30, all fall apart around 100k miles.
All depends on the model. The N54 engines are pretty bullet proof except for water pumps and injectors. I've been running e85 and 500 HP for the last 80k miles and have over 130k on the car. Their inline 6 engines are pretty solid. The V8s not so much (M series or non M series).

Torinate

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Well, I never thought I would ever write something in this thread. I’m not really a “street racer” person anymore as I get older... but this was my wife’s fault.

Cruising on a controlled entry road (2 lanes each way and divided between them). Stoplights every mile or so. Top down, having a coffee. Just out for a nice cruise. My wife hates whenever I try to push too hard. “That’s for you go out for drives yourself” I am told.

Well, this gentleman in a new BMW 440i M pulls up beside us. Nice looking car but that kidney grill is just too huge now!

Of course my wife is a huge BMW fan... well this guy pulls up and revs his engine and hammers it. Slows down and does is again 2 more times. Finally my wife is now perturbed with this guy. There’s no cars or the road so this is a good thing. So we cruise to the next stoplight and Buddy continues to rev his car egging me on. My wife looks over at him with a not so nice look and nods and then tells me it’s ok to some times be an ass as well and says if I want to have at it. So coffees are securely in the cup holders and I took the quick second to turn off all the nannies. I didn’t really know what to expect but I honestly kind of expected more - or at least I think he expected he would wax me. Visually my car is just a stock looking convertible with big tires on the back...

Light goes green and he leaves first. I’m old. My reaction time is not great. Honestly, I pulled beside still in first then hit second and then third and fourth. I’m not sure how far ahead I was when I hit top of fourth. Several cars though. I mean it really wasn’t even close. Road was warm so the Nittos hooked well. Same tune exact and same set up I run deep 10’s at the track with. I’ve had Dragys in the 10.4s on the street so this run was likely very similar. Wish I had time to log it or run the dragy then but I never even take it out of the glovebox when I’m with my wife. Oh well.

We slow down with the fear of police at the next exchange. He pulls beside this time and just smiles and gives a thumbs up. I thought my wife was going to give him the finger or me crap but instead she just said she really liked the BMW.

I know very little about this BMW model. M 440i. Brand new or at least very new with the new inflated grills. Nice looking car.

Sorry for the length... I’ve read lots of BMW posts lately so thought I’d add this one in...

T.O.Bullitt

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
That's the point. People who don't care gain nothing. People who do care (mustang enthusiasts) lose albeit mostly nostalgia. Therefor...net loss.
Bad math.
Let me help you:
Assume electric car future is inevitable.
Assume Ford must compete in that world and must start now or go bankrupt.
X = what Ford needs to do do to survive.
Solve for X.

I don’t know about you but I’d rather live in a world where Ford continues to exist and in which it will someday build an electric Ford Mustang coupe that will be faster and handle better than any Ford ever built.
A four door version is just around the corner as it is.
That’s a net gain.

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
Well, I never thought I would ever write something in this thread. I’m not really a “street racer” person anymore as I get older... but this was my wife’s fault.

Cruising on a controlled entry road (2 lanes each way and divided between them). Stoplights every mile or so. Top down, having a coffee. Just out for a nice cruise. My wife hates whenever I try to push too hard. “That’s for you go out for drives yourself” I am told.

Well, this gentleman in a new BMW 440i M pulls up beside us. Nice looking car but that kidney grill is just too huge now!

Of course my wife is a huge BMW fan... well this guy pulls up and revs his engine and hammers it. Slows down and does is again 2 more times. Finally my wife is now perturbed with this guy. There’s no cars or the road so this is a good thing. So we cruise to the next stoplight and Buddy continues to rev his car egging me on. My wife looks over at him with a not so nice look and nods and then tells me it’s ok to some times be an ass as well and says if I want to have at it. So coffees are securely in the cup holders and I took the quick second to turn off all the nannies. I didn’t really know what to expect but I honestly kind of expected more - or at least I think he expected he would wax me. Visually my car is just a stock looking convertible with big tires on the back...

Light goes green and he leaves first. I’m old. My reaction time is not great. Honestly, I pulled beside still in first then hit second and then third and fourth. I’m not sure how far ahead I was when I hit top of fourth. Several cars though. I mean it really wasn’t even close. Road was warm so the Nittos hooked well. Same tune exact and same set up I run deep 10’s at the track with. I’ve had Dragys in the 10.4s on the street so this run was likely very similar. Wish I had time to log it or run the dragy then but I never even take it out of the glovebox when I’m with my wife. Oh well.

We slow down with the fear of police at the next exchange. He pulls beside this time and just smiles and gives a thumbs up. I thought my wife was going to give him the finger or me crap but instead she just said she really liked the BMW.

I know very little about this BMW model. M 440i. Brand new or at least very new with the new inflated grills. Nice looking car.

Sorry for the length... I’ve read lots of BMW posts lately so thought I’d add this one in...
Well done. I do have to say 440i "M" :crackup:
Bad math.
Let me help you:
Assume electric car future is inevitable.
Assume Ford must compete in that world and must start now or go bankrupt.
X = what Ford needs to do do to survive.
Solve for X.

I don’t know about you but I’d rather live in a world where Ford continues to exist and in which it will someday build an electric Ford Mustang coupe that will be faster and handle better than any Ford ever built.
A four door version is just around the corner as it is.
That’s a net gain.
Yes, but a CUV called "Mustang" is a huge net loss. They've got plenty of name badges to slap on the inevitable electric future. The Mustang marquee doesn't need to be on anything other than the type of car that's worn the badge for over half a century. Heritage matters. Tradition matters. If we all wanted a sensible, no-nonsense car, we wouldn't opt for a 2+2 sport's coupe.

Advertisement

173 - AWE - 1
Advertisement