2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I think they look cool, they are quick, but my personal gripes with them is the price is obsurd IMHO for a Kia. Kia still isn't the greatest quality vehicle, even the new ones still feel cheap to me. When I bought my STi I considered the Stinger, but didn't go for it because there was no manual option. Also it feels chincy and refined at the same time, weird to explain, but idk. Its a cool platform, but at the end of the day 50k for a Stinger GT... its still a KIA. Just like people paying over stock for Tellurides i just can't wrap my head around that.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I've owned several Hyundia's/Kia's and the only one that was a POS was our used 2009 Genesis 4.6. It was a first year model and had tons of random electric gremlins that Hyundai could never fix..

1. Steering wheel would forget it drivers position. If you used the automatic feature that gave you more room to get in and out it would move to the most random places and then occasionally go out on you.. It literally lowered so far one day that it pinched my legs against the seat and wouldn't go up again.. Hyundai could never fix this no matter what they did so I turned it off.
2. Brakes went out on my wife twice. The pedal would go loose and straight to the floor. It was the ABS module that had already been replaced due to a recall. They said it was out of warranty and I had to fix it. I FINALLY got them to cover it under warranty when a rep on the phone realized that it was doing the same thing the recall was supposed to fix the first time.
3. Some box in the steering column went out and it wouldn't detect the key and the button wouldn't start it.. $1500 later..
4. Drivers seat was like the steering wheel.. It would forget it's position or move all the way forward/backward without stopping.. Then it wouldn't move again. Buttons were replaced, controllers were replaced, etc...
5. A/C stopped working under warranty.
6. Car was stuttering when I traded it. If you had the steering wheel turned, AC on and were braking, the steering wheel would briefly lock while you turning it and then immediately release. Then the car would start shivering like it was going to die..

Owned a 2003 Hyandai Tiberon V6 and it went 80k miles in the 18 months I owned it and it was great. Had hundreds of drag strip launches. Installed headers/intake/exhaust and it ran flawless. Car got a lot of looks at the time cause it was new and nice looking. People were very surprised it was a Hyundi.

Wife owned a 2000ish Sonata that had 200,000 miles on it when I totaled it twice in two weeks. Never had an issue with that one either. :(

Currently own a 2015 Sorento XL which is really nice but it has some random issues too. AC went out under warranty and the leather is getting worn on the seats.. Sun roof doesn't seem like it wants to close either sometimes.. Still has it's power train warranty which is good considering it only has 60,000 miles on it..

The Stinger is the only car either makes anymore that I am interested in. Genesis no longer look that great and I need a truck anyway.. My wife rode in the Stinger when Ubering and she said the backseat sucked. Felt like the roof was too low if she sat up straight. Not good when she's complaining about it :)

Topdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Os
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Gt Convertible 2021 (TBA)
Ill let you know in 2 weeks got the Stinger the Gt 5.0 is on its way to the dealer. The Stinger has been pretty faultless over 3 years.

Sponsored

Deleted member 56911

With the arrival of my daughter and living in Canada I've decided to sell my mustang and get something with 4 doors and AWD. Any thoughts on the Kia Stinger? Looks like a good deal, especially here in Canada
Excellent vehicle. Owned one for a year before I traded it in to get a GT500. It’s very nice looking and handles very well. The sport back gives you as much trunk space as a small SUV.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I think they look cool, they are quick, but my personal gripes with them is the price is obsurd IMHO for a Kia. Kia still isn't the greatest quality vehicle, even the new ones still feel cheap to me. When I bought my STi I considered the Stinger, but didn't go for it because there was no manual option. Also it feels chincy and refined at the same time, weird to explain, but idk. Its a cool platform, but at the end of the day 50k for a Stinger GT... its still a KIA. Just like people paying over stock for Tellurides i just can't wrap my head around that.
I too notice that element of crappiness even in the Genesis models. Bordering on gaudy, they seem like they try too hard to be fancy but it ends up executed I n a weird inept manner.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
FWIW, I recently bought a Kia Stinger GT1 to go along with my 2015 Mustang GT (which I'm keeping). It's a great combination, and the cars are very complimentary to each other.

My previous daily driver was a 2019 Subaru WRX. I loved the WRX, it was well-built, fun to drive, had AWD for snowy New England winters, is one of the few remaining cars available with a manual transmission, and simply had lots of personality and character.

But, being 60-something with creeping arthritis, the stiff ride was getting to me. The offset for the great handling was a harsh, jittery ride that would shake your fillings out. It was fine for short trips, but over 2-3 hours even on relatively smooth highways was a real hemorrhoid-inducer. In the New Age of COVID, we're not getting on planes or trains anytime soon, so all of our travels are by car, and the WRX just isn't meant for long cruises.

The Stinger is a rare combination of comfort (the car rags call it 'near luxury') but still with plenty of power, performance, and is great fun to drive. It's only available with an automatic, but with a manual transmission Mustang GT in the garage, that's OK with me. The straight-line performance might be similar to a Mustang GT, but it's a very different car with a different mission. It's geared to the enthusiast who wants something comfortable as a practical daily driver. The AWD makes it useful in snowy weather, and the hatchback storage area (rarely see that these days) is enormous.

For me it's a good companion to the Mustang. The Mustang is still (by far) the most fun to drive, more elemental and visceral. There's nothing like the immediate response of a naturally aspirated V8 engine. The Mustang's ride doesn't beat you up the way a WRX will, but it's still pure performance (especially with PP2).

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
FWIW, I recently bought a Kia Stinger GT1 to go along with my 2015 Mustang GT (which I'm keeping). It's a great combination, and the cars are very complimentary to each other.

My previous daily driver was a 2019 Subaru WRX. I loved the WRX, it was well-built, fun to drive, had AWD for snowy New England winters, is one of the few remaining cars available with a manual transmission, and simply had lots of personality and character.

But, being 60-something with creeping arthritis, the stiff ride was getting to me. The offset for the great handling was a harsh, jittery ride that would shake your fillings out. It was fine for short trips, but over 2-3 hours even on relatively smooth highways was a real hemorrhoid-inducer. In the New Age of COVID, we're not getting on planes or trains anytime soon, so all of our travels are by car, and the WRX just isn't meant for long cruises.

The Stinger is a rare combination of comfort (the car rags call it 'near luxury') but still with plenty of power, performance, and is great fun to drive. It's only available with an automatic, but with a manual transmission Mustang GT in the garage, that's OK with me. The straight-line performance might be similar to a Mustang GT, but it's a very different car with a different mission. It's geared to the enthusiast who wants something comfortable as a practical daily driver. The AWD makes it useful in snowy weather, and the hatchback storage area (rarely see that these days) is enormous.

For me it's a good companion to the Mustang. The Mustang is still (by far) the most fun to drive, more elemental and visceral. There's nothing like the immediate response of a naturally aspirated V8 engine. The Mustang's ride doesn't beat you up the way a WRX will, but it's still pure performance (especially with PP2).
Try adding the JB4 to it and you will find the Stinger to be a whole different animal :)

Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Try adding the JB4 to it and you will find the Stinger to be a whole different animal :)
Thanks! It's often easy to squeeze more power out of a turbocharged engine with a tune that increases boost pressures, etc. But I'm anxious about the price to be paid, and I don't mean the cost of the tune.

More boost pressure = more power, but also = higher combustion pressures, higher temperatures, and greater thermal and mechanical stresses on all the parts (moving and otherwise) which means shorter life. As many Subaru owners have discovered the expensive way, squeeze too much power out of a turbo engine and it can go boom.

I'm keeping my Mustang, which has more than enough power for me for street driving. Likewise the Stinger, 368 hp (out of a twin turbo 3.3 V6), especially when set to 'Sport' mode, is more than enough to safely use on the street.

I once had a 2004 VW Beetle Turbo Convertible. Putting aside all the usual jokes about 'chick car' and all that (I'm confident enough in my masculinity and manhood that I didn't feel threatened driving a Beetle Convertible), it was a fun car. I put a tune on it (plus exhaust and intake), which increased the power from 180 hp factory to 274 hp at the front wheels on a dyno, which meant something in the low 300's hp at the flywheel. It was an absolute BLAST to drive. Some BMW drivers in my neighborhood had their eyeballs pop out of their sockets when they were blown away by a mere VW Beetle.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Thanks! It's often easy to squeeze more power out of a turbocharged engine with a tune that increases boost pressures, etc. But I'm anxious about the price to be paid, and I don't mean the cost of the tune.

More boost pressure = more power, but also = higher combustion pressures, higher temperatures, and greater thermal and mechanical stresses on all the parts (moving and otherwise) which means shorter life. As many Subaru owners have discovered the expensive way, squeeze too much power out of a turbo engine and it can go boom.

I'm keeping my Mustang, which has more than enough power for me for street driving. Likewise the Stinger, 368 hp (out of a twin turbo 3.3 V6), especially when set to 'Sport' mode, is more than enough to safely use on the street.

I once had a 2004 VW Beetle Turbo Convertible. Putting aside all the usual jokes about 'chick car' and all that (I'm confident enough in my masculinity and manhood that I didn't feel threatened driving a Beetle Convertible), it was a fun car. I put a tune on it (plus exhaust and intake), which increased the power from 180 hp factory to 274 hp at the front wheels on a dyno, which meant something in the low 300's hp at the flywheel. It was an absolute BLAST to drive. Some BMW drivers in my neighborhood had their eyeballs pop out of their sockets when they were blown away by a mere VW Beetle.
JB4 is a very conservative tune (at least the maps that 99% of the people will run) so you are not going to be blowing your engine or affecting it in any noticeable way. I have yet to see anyone running a JB4 blow their engine because of it. JB4 is nice because you can pick different maps on the go with the app. I used to run mine in Map 2 which requires 93+ but Map 1 only requires 91+ and the power difference is still very significant. Nothing wrong with running the car stock, it is still very powerful and you will have fun with it no matter what mods you add to it. Just thought I would let you know that you have a very easy and cheap tune available if you ever want to get more HPs out of the Stinger!

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
JB4 is a very conservative tune (at least the maps that 99% of the people will run) so you are not going to be blowing your engine or affecting it in any noticeable way. I have yet to see anyone running a JB4 blow their engine because of it. JB4 is nice because you can pick different maps on the go with the app. I used to run mine in Map 2 which requires 93+ but Map 1 only requires 91+ and the power difference is still very significant. Nothing wrong with running the car stock, it is still very powerful and you will have fun with it no matter what mods you add to it. Just thought I would let you know that you have a very easy and cheap tune available if you ever want to get more HPs out of the Stinger!
Thank you! That's very interesting! I'm all for a 'conservative' tune to wake up an engine without running it on the ragged edge. I'm going to look into it!

Are you running this on your Stinger?

Thanks again!

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Dude Stinger is much better than a fusion. You can't really compare a fwd biased to a rwd.
Says who? For well under 30 grand (that was brand new), it runs on par with stock stinger (with 93 tune @ 12.7's @ 108), pulls over well into the .9 G's on street and over 1G in longer sweepers on a road course (with only sway bars and same 4SPS's that Stinger comes with), has comfy adjustable suspension for street or track (that Stingers don't get until you spend 50 grand). The best part is the engine was designed for durability in a half ton pickup. There is no question the Fusion has the better engine that will take more abuse.

So while the Stinger might be the better overall car at 10/10th's (which no sane person does on the street), the fusion gets you 90% of the Stinger for a street car, for way less money.

And the Stinger interior, all I can say is UGH!!!!!!!

screenshot_20210712-051000-png.png

The stupid speaker covers, from the voice box on the desk in the original Charlies Angles, pretty horrible.

tent%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2013%2F12%2Fcharlie-1.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Vents stolen from a 66 mustang under dash AC

s-l1600.jpg

Center square silver buttons came straight out of many 80's NIssan/Toyota

2b.jpg

Button arrangement below that (with 2 knobs on each side), reminds me of classic bronco AM radio (maybe that is complementary to the Bronco, who knows)

1966-77_Ford_Bronco_SCP-09_1024x1024.jpg

Front edge of center console bin cover looks like the front edge of one of those cushy toilet seats.

a04c-eee204462048.2ec7ac8ffde740a910c106ffdb634acb.jpg

Could go all day. Miss-mosh of all kinds of stuff that none of it by themselves look all that great, but combined is just horrendous............

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Thank you! That's very interesting! I'm all for a 'conservative' tune to wake up an engine without running it on the ragged edge. I'm going to look into it!

Are you running this on your Stinger?

Thanks again!
I did for a few months until I sold it to upgrade to the Mustang! So many people run those nowadays. They are cheap and very conservative. I have yet to see anybody blowing a Stinger engine. And like I said, you can pick very conservative maps on the go with the app on your phone if you are concerned about longevity. and the best part is that you can easily remove it and the dealer will never know you had a tune since you are not flashing anything :)
Sponsored