Mustang GT vs Focus RS (Ownership)?

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My oldest son has a Focus RS. There are many interior similarities between it and my GT. Performance of the RS is typical 4 banger turbo. Better than most, but the drop in boost with every shift is annoying. What stands out the most is the ride. It is horrible. I'm sure the tires are filled with cement.
Has he had any issues with it? The ST/RS have "overboost" which is time-based, on a stock car once you've exceeded the threshold, there's a 20 second "countdown" before overboost can be hit again. That might be part of the boost drop he has.

It is harsh. The drive modes change it, but yes, they're on paper thin 19" tires. It doesn't bother me so bad at this point in life, but it's no Caddy.

The dealer is willing to move the car. They're basically meeting my request of what I need on trade value for my GT. I could probably come out a bit lower ($40-$60/mo maybe) on my payments.

I am still very on the fence. Dealer is closed tomorrow so I have another day to mull it over and decide by Monday. It may be FOMO (fear of missing out) but I really want to experience owning a car like that. I love my GT, so I'm in a pretty tough spot.
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Boost drop is pretty common between shifts with a manual transmission. Happens with my BMW, too. My son has had no problems with the car in 40k miles. I should mention it handles very well but you are always aware of it, to the point of being tiring. But, I am older and can say I've been there and done that and don't need to do it again. After the Mustang V8, you may find a turbo 4 is disappointing.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Choose Both - that said, I have an 18 which avoided the head gasket issue, but those are hard to find. Love both and glad I have the option every morning as to which to drive. That said, when its raining the RS is the only choice. The RS has been totally reliable and probably the best "all arounder" I've ever had.

IMG_5854.jpg

5791449121.jpg

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Choose Both - that said, I have an 18 which avoided the head gasket issue, but those are hard to find. Love both and glad I have the option every morning as to which to drive. That said, when its raining the RS is the only choice. The RS has been totally reliable and probably the best "all arounder" I've ever had.

IMG_5854.jpg

5791449121.jpg
Kinda hoping you'd reply, lol.

That's a nice pair!! I'd love to have the same.

There's one '18 in the area and it's a few grand less with way more miles. I do love the front diff is present in the 18, but I would forgo that to own a "lesser" RS. Lol.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Kinda hoping you'd reply, lol.

That's a nice pair!! I'd love to have the same.

There's one '18 in the area and it's a few grand less with way more miles. I do love the front diff is present in the 18, but I would forgo that to own a "lesser" RS. Lol.
How many miles is "way more"? My impression is they are pretty stout cars - I have 66,3xx miles on mine - driven hard - no problems and it probably has the only engine I've ever owned that truly consumes No Oil.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How many miles is "way more"? My impression is they are pretty stout cars - I have 66,3xx miles on mine - driven hard - no problems and it probably has the only engine I've ever owned that truly consumes No Oil.
40k-80k +. That's good to know you haven't had any issues. My ST was the same way - like hardly any oil consumption, rarely would I need to add anything during a change. The only car I have seen rival that is my lady's Civic which literally doesn't move on the stick. However 140hp 1.8 is different than a boosted 2.0 or 2.3.. lol.

I made the decision - keeping my GT. Told the dealer I was going to pass on it. While I am bummed and definitely experiencing some FOMO, a few things happened:

1: I washed my GT around sunset. The right combo of sunlight hitting the paint and highlighting the curves of that car instantly reminded me of why I fell in love with the S550 in the first place.

2: I drove it and beat on it. There's no replacement for a high revving V8 belting out its song.

3: Long-term plans. I always wanted to track my GT and I've always wanted a blistering fast Mustang. So, I have decided to start modding sooner than planned and build the car the way I want it.

4: Starting over the payment cycle is a make-you-want-to-vomit feeling when I did that getting into my GT from my ST. Don't want to repeat the cycle.

Appreciate everyone's input... hopefully one day I can add an RS to the lineup.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score