Sponsored

Mustang GT vs Camaro SS vs Challenger Scat Pack - reliability comparison?

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Not speed, but reliability. Which one do you think will hold up the best over time?
I know Ford has its share of issues but I think Chevy and Ford hold up better than Dodge. In the early 00's I much preferred Camaros to the 4.6 Ford (LS1 much more potent engine) but it seemed aside from the engine and trans, the rest of the Camaro fell apart in short order. Not sure about today, seems like the quality is much better.
But Chrysler still seems to have its share of issues.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences?
Sponsored

Shadowdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 1994 Corvette 1984 Corvette 2015 Kawasaki ZX14R 2000Suzuki TLR1000
The Challenger is a solid car. It's based on the W210 E series platform. I had an auto SRT8 Challenger. Bought used certified with 10k miles, sold with 110k miles. the car never had an issue, other than an appetite for fuel and tires. It was road coursed regularly at TWS, COTA, MSR Houston and drag raced on Friday nights . I changed the oil at 5k like clockwork. My personal experience with the car was a great one. i am enjoying my 5.0 now and hope it gives as good an experience.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
They each have issues, they’re each pretty good too. Assuming you have manual versions of each one, Camaro probably wins for having the simplest engine design without the questionable oiling system of the 3rd gen Hemi motors. They also have the Tremec 6 speed unlike the questionable MT82 in the Mustang.

The biggest worries with the LT motors is related to the cylinder deactivation system failing (which affects the Hemi as well) but I’m pretty sure that only applies to the automatic equipped cars...

The Coyote seems to hold up great to mileage and abuse ever since the #8 piston burning issue was solved. The 10 speed auto might still be a little too new to know for sure how it will last.

I like all three and I wouldn’t hesitate to roll the dice on whichever drove the best. I’m on my third conservative bought-new Mustang for whatever that’s worth.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Don't buy any chevy with an A6 auto (mostly 2015+) whatever you do.

Last edited:

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
Dodge won the most reliable American car in 2019. I think Mazda won it for 2020.
Sponsored