Sponsored

Mustang GT Paddle Shifters, does the car automcaily shift into 1st gear when at a complete stop??

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium
Hi Guys,

So I had a question regarding the paddle shifters. I have a 6R80 Auto and I like the Sport mode for the transmission. But sometimes I want to use the paddle shifters in Sport mode so that I can upshift and downshift based on my preference and the driving situation around town. My question is say there's a stop/redlight ahead and I need to come to a complete stop, at this time I'm in 3rd gear. As of now I have been downshifting the car using the paddles into first gear so that I can then take off in first gear from the stop. I wish we could pull the paddles to go into netural but this isn't on option and I don't shift the car into neautral so that's why I downshift with the paddles. Ocassionally I just shift the transmission into D mode before coming to a stop and let the car downshift, but then I have to put the car back into S mode again to use the paddles so that's why I have the question below.

Do I need to downsift into first gear using the paddle in manual mode or can I just come to a complete stop and the car automtically goes into first gear? Then I could use the paddle shifter to upshift from 1st gear like normal.

If this is not possible, is it bad for the car if I downshift to second gear and come to a complete stop and then flick the paddle into first gear before taking off? This is another idea I had as a work around if the prior question in bold isn't available on this car.

Thank you for checking out this question, hopefully someone has an answer!
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I'm pretty sure it does and should indicate so.

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
If you are in 3rd and come to a red light you don't have to down shift at all. The car will automatically go into 1st when you come to a stop.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you are in 3rd and come to a red light you don't have to down shift at all. The car will automatically go into 1st when you come to a stop.
This

Sponsored

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Also just to add to OPs post and possibly save him a transmission. I was told to NEVER EVER shift down to 1st gear when using the paddles. 1st gear is only to take off from a stop but like I said no need to shift down to 1st

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Also just to add to OPs post and possibly save him a transmission. I was told to NEVER EVER shift down to 1st gear when using the paddles. 1st gear is only to take off from a stop but like I said no need to shift down to 1st
FWIW my owners manual says that the transmission will not downshift into a gear that is unsafe for it. If you try the gear indicator in the dash will start flashing.
Screenshot_20220508-214325_Drive.jpg

OP
OP

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium
Thank you for chiming in everyone! I appreciate the info.
Sponsored