Sponsored

Mustang GT Better Traction on the Street

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
How wide can you go on pp1? And I would like to start getting into roadcoarse but haven’t found anything. I’m mostly thinking for the street and future mods.
PP1 is staggered. 19/40R/255 front and 19/40R/275. PP2 I think is 275 front and 305 rear which is awesome for road course and drag.

The smaller wheel and even going with 35 or even 30 side wall will give you better acceleration.

The lower the tire pressure, the better as it creates a a larger surface contact.

WARNING: Lower tire pressures increase the liklyhood of tire blow due to the tires folding in on themselves. I'd start at 32psi and see from there to help your issue.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
My 305/45r17s just arrived! Bought the wheels months ago but everyone was out of stock on r2s. Stumbled across a pair last weekend. Hopefully I can find traction below 60 now... :rockon:
20211026_131940.jpg

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
My 305/45r17s just arrived! Bought the wheels months ago but everyone was out of stock on r2s. Stumbled across a pair last weekend. Hopefully I can find traction below 60 now... :rockon:
20211026_131940.jpg
What wheels are you running?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
What wheels are you running?
Those are going on some jms 17x10s. I'll post a pic of them tomorrow when I actually take the time to unbox them. I was so pissed when they got here and no one could find the tires I wanted that I left them in a box in the corner of my garage.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is everyone struggling to find traction? I have traction control entirely off and spin at launch and maybe the first shift depend on various temperature.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
How is everyone struggling to find traction? I have traction control entirely off and spin at launch and maybe the first shift depend on various temperature.
When I was NA with the pp1 wheels and mp4s tires traction was good. At least for half of the tires life. After that they didn't hook very well. In my opinion ford had it right when that was the combo on the pp1 cars. Not sure how the new ones handle with pirellis.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That comment you responded to was actually about the MPSS4’s loosing traction under acceleration but no, it was dead straight (dual carriageway) with not a hint of lateral movement, just straight line wheel spin :like:
That's strange. With PS4S on dry tarmac on a warm day I can floor it in first gear up to 7000 rpm, then do the same in second gear, in a straight line, and I get no wheel spin at all. I did it a few times.
When I need to overtake a Sunday driver, I just floor it in second gear and it goes like a bullet.

With Nokians on wet tarmac, when I do that the car either fishtails (with the TC off) or cuts off the gas at the very first sign of slippage (with the TC on). The same happens on dry tarmac, but to a much lesser extent.

My car is completely stock. Stock wheels, stock tyres, stock differential, no engine tune, no suspension upgrades, no nothing. Which reminds me - any news about that Torsen? Have you installed it yet? :)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Which reminds me - any news about that Torsen? Have you installed it yet? :)
Nope ...

For me the Torsen = 4.09's = the requirement for a tune = warranty implications.

It's to early in the cars life for me to trash my engine / powertrain warranty ... :frown:

The 4.09's compared to the euro 3.55's are sure to make the MPS4S's work a little bit harder :giggle:

WD :like:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This thread is interesting....

In terms of the stuff that is relevant to the topic, my '15 PP (3.73 rear) is stock other than a CAI, flex tune, cradle lockout, and 305 MPSS rears on 11" wheels. First gear is all but worthless, and it will spin well into second at WOT.

I'm at odds as to how the guys with far more mods keep these things on the road and out of crowds unless running some seriously sticky tires.....

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm at odds as to how the guys with far more mods keep these things on the road and out of crowds unless running some seriously sticky tires.....
Throttle control. Many of us came from 60's and 70's big block cars with tons of torque and bias ply tires.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Throttle control. Many of us came from 60's and 70's big block cars with tons of torque and bias ply tires.
Including me.

I had hoped the 305 MPSS would have helped more than they do, but they're only marginally better than the trash stock Pirellis.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I was NA with the pp1 wheels and mp4s tires traction was good. At least for half of the tires life. After that they didn't hook very well. In my opinion ford had it right when that was the combo on the pp1 cars. Not sure how the new ones handle with pirellis.
The only thing I can think of is that I don't slam the throttle like a high schooler. Road course habbits are natural now and makes me wonder if it'll make it difficult for me to learn drifting.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Road course habbits are natural now and makes me wonder if it'll make it difficult for me to learn drifting.
I started out driving on dirt roads, went to dirt track then road course. No problem learning how not to slide. Not sure how it would be in reverse.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
This thread is interesting....

In terms of the stuff that is relevant to the topic, my '15 PP (3.73 rear) is stock other than a CAI, flex tune, cradle lockout, and 305 MPSS rears on 11" wheels. First gear is all but worthless, and it will spin well into second at WOT.

Damn not what I was hoping to hear. Trying to decide between street tire or partial drag radial.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Damn not what I was hoping to hear. Trying to decide between street tire or partial drag radial.
Pretty much why the NT555RII was designed.
Sponsored