Mustang GT Better Traction on the Street

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
First off I have a 2015 Mustang GT with a 6R80. Currently, it has a flex-fuel tune and a cat-back, the rest is stock. The car also has 3.15 diff from the factory.

I can not get any traction in first gear, especially the shift from 1st-2nd. I can't give more than half throttle in first gear and if I give it more than 40% throttle it will spin on the 1-2 shift. As it's getting colder now the car is getting some hp back, and I have noticed it's starting to spin on the 2nd-3rd shift, which is scary as I'm going 80+.

Currently, I have 275 width Nitto NT555 G2 tires on a 20" rim. I got them with the car when I bought the car about 6 months ago and they still have an okay amount of tire tread on them.

I've tried looking for ideas on how to improve my traction but wanted to get some opinions before I go buying a new set of tires.
Do you think I just need new tires and better tires?
Should I go for a street performance tire like Michelin PS 4S?
Should I try a street-drag tire (I daily drive the car, and while there isn't much rain in AZ I don't want to die)?
Should I also try some suspension changes (like lowering the car)?
Should I get wider tires/rims?

I've heard that people recommend 3.55 gears at least for N/A for better launching but I can't even hook now. The fastest time was 5s according to the in-car display but I'm lucky to get 5.2-5.4. It's so bad that I can't actually "launch" the car, I have to just let go of the break and ease into the gas.

I want to mod it more but I also want to be able to put the power down at < 80mph. Any help would be really appreciated!
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
You bought a car that was designed to do more than go fast in a straight line. so launching suffers some. the cool part is there is a throttle that the driver controls, learn car control and you'll get there, It takes time to learn how to give it the oats without loosing forward grip. Better tires might help, 355 gears won't, but you'll get more bang for the buck learning how to drive the car and car control, and that includes being able to modulate the throttle and keep forward grip without giving up any speed. It takes seat time and a willing to learn and not a mind set that better this or that will fix it.
Good luck.
That said, you stated you live in AZ. if the car was bought there, look at the tires dates, AZ heat can kill tires .
But even with tires that lost much of the oils and are not as good anymore, throttle control is king.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
You bought a car that was designed to do more than go fast in a straight line. so launching suffers some. the cool part is there is a throttle that the driver controls, learn car control and you'll get there, It takes time to learn how to give it the oats without loosing forward grip. Better tires might help, 355 gears won't, but you'll get more bang for the buck learning how to drive the car and car control, and that includes being able to modulate the throttle and keep forward grip without giving up any speed. It takes seat time and a willing to learn and not a mind set that better this or that will fix it.
Good luck.
That said, you stated you live in AZ. if the car was bought there, look at the tires dates, AZ heat can kill tires .
But even with tires that lost much of the oils and are not as good anymore, throttle control is king.
The problem isn't throttle control. The car can't even begin to launch (I can't give it any rpm on the launch or it spins). I have to ease into the throttle and no matter what I do I spin on the first to second shift and second to third shifts. I can totally control the car so it won't spin much, it's just slow as shit, and if I push it harder it lights up the tires.

I am the typical retard who revs out first gear every time they are at a light. I've gotten pretty good at controlling how much spin happens. Still only have gotten a 5 sec 0-60.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
The problem isn't throttle control. The car can't even begin to launch (I can't give it any rpm on the launch or it spins). I have to ease into the throttle and no matter what I do I spin on the first to second shift and second to third shifts. I can totally control the car so it won't spin much, it's just slow as shit, and if I push it harder it lights up the tires.

I am the typical retard who revs out first gear every time they are at a light. I've gotten pretty good at controlling how much spin happens. Still only have gotten a 5 sec 0-60.
But I will try launching it some more and seeing if I can get any better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Good luck,
Got 4.9 after something like 10 attempts.

No matter what I do it lights the tires up after 6500rpm.
And the 1-2 shift was always brutal. Even in the 4.9 you can see it jump 10mph as it spins on the shift.
Tried to go easy on the throttle for no spin and just made the car slower.

Also is it normal to not be able to rev the car past 2k rpm in an auto? I felt like it just broke traction holding the break after 2k rpm.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
It's the tires.
With the PS4S I can't break traction to save my life (well, I guess I could, if I turned the wheel hard at 7000 rpm in first gear, but that's not the point).
Nice to hear, gives me hope that the nt555 are just bad lmao. It's kind of sad to see how well a Camry can keep up with the car till 60 and I need it rectified. Plus my dad has a model 3 performance and I envy how fast that thing launches.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got 4.9 after something like 10 attempts.

No matter what I do it lights the tires up after 6500rpm.
And the 1-2 shift was always brutal. Even in the 4.9 you can see it jump 10mph as it spins on the shift.
Tried to go easy on the throttle for no spin and just made the car slower.

Also is it normal to not be able to rev the car past 2k rpm in an auto? I felt like it just broke traction holding the break after 2k rpm.

You need car control. if it is lighting up the tired at 6500 RPM.
The reason new cars are so fast is because the factory builds this in, they call it torque management, it backs off power at shifts and any time it senses wheel spin.
The throttle isn't a barrel valve, it isn't an on/off switch.
Good luck, new tires/better tires will only get you so far.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
Learning to control the throttle is important, but the car simply can't handle all of the power it has stock. There are improvements that can be made to get more of that power to the ground. A wider and better tire will definitely help, PS4s will handle much better. Locking down the subframe with Subframe Braces will go a long way to keeping those tires planted for pretty cheap.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
NT555RII's will help a lot if not over 650rw, and still be drivable in the rain.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
PS4S are a bad idea. They will not hold very well and they will last 10,000 miles so unless you have money to burn stay away. Nt555g2 on the front and nt555r2 on the rear

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Learning to control the throttle is important, but the car simply can't handle all of the power it has stock. There are improvements that can be made to get more of that power to the ground. A wider and better tire will definitely help, PS4s will handle much better. Locking down the subframe with Subframe Braces will go a long way to keeping those tires planted for pretty cheap.
I can blow the tires off if I want to, or I can modulate the right foot to just under the traction limit of the car/tires.
This is why racing with all the same cars box stock, some drivers run rings around others.
You can put the best gear under the body the best tires on it, and have to deal with what the road that day will give you. that is all driver. I'm not knocking the O/P it takes time.
It could be a case of worn out shocks not controlling the wheels . doesn't matter, as a driver you have to work with what you have, till you change it. he knows it spin the tires at 6500 rpm in 1st,2nd, 3rd, so why go there with foot planted through the floor boards, lift a little and see what throttle input makes that stop, if it has traction till 6200rpm, go wot till then then back off some as the tach sweeps through 6500rpm and up.
till whatever shift point he is using.
A bull in a china shop no matter what parts you throw at it will still loose traction, or dead hook and break stuff. neither is winning any races.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Get yourself a tire tread gauge and see how much tread you actually have left on the g2s. They might look ok but if you have 5/32 or less they won't grip for shit. If your above that a good burnout may heat them up and bring the stick back. I don't have much experience with the g2s but I used to encounter this with each set of mp4s. Great grip at first, 5000 miles later they'd need some heat cycling to grip, after 5/32 or less nothing but wheel spin to 60mph.

Also what is your exact tire size? A 275 on a 20" wheel tells me you've probably sacrificed some sidewall and thats not helping your traction either.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What is your tire pressure set at? That plays a role in how much contact the tire patch is making with the road surface.
Sponsored