Sponsored

Mustang for Supercars next year

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Same as the current DJRTP Falcons underneath. Kind of like a ZB Commodore with no ZB Commodore parts underneath.

They better be competitive, Mustang soundly beaten by a 4 door entry level family sedan just doesn't seem right :crazy:
They're petty much all the same car, just different bodies. That's why the whole Ford Vs Holden thing is so ridiculous IMO. It was understandable back in the old touring car days when they were using converted road cars but it became a shell game (literally and figuratively) with the supercar format.
Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
Oh yes, I remember the good old days. Who can forget the nail-biting finish of the 1979 Bathurst when Brock won by just six laps, after the field of production based cars fell by the wayside.

Seriously though, I do have fond memories of that period, but have a look at some of that racing on YouTube now, and a lot of it was pretty average racing.

Spectators kept coming back because there were less leisure activity options back then, particularly when there was no Sunday football.

Supercars is the reality of life in these time, in terms of entertainment and safety. Stock standard production racing holds very little interest these days

The Supercar Mustang will still have Ford DNA under the bonnet. Ford and Mustang fans will take an interest in huge numbers, just like Ferrari fans do with the F1 team.

Ford has done it's research and knows Supercars is more than worthwhile to be involved in.

Don't be surprised if Commodore is replaced or supplemented by the Camaro relatively soon.

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang Fastback Race Red
Mustang soundly beaten by a 4 door entry level family sedan just doesn't seem right :crazy:
Yep, much prefer the GT4, where the Mustangs are competing with the more exotic sports cars :thumbsup:. Like they are doing currently in the North American Continental Tyre series.:first:
2018 Sebring round; :ford: Mustang 1st, bmw 2nd, porsche 3rd.
[ame]

2018 Mid Ohio round; :ford: Mustang 1st, :ford: Mustang 2nd, bmw 3rd.
[ame]

2018 Watkins Glen (Marcus Ambrose's favourite place ;)) :ford: Mustang 1st, bmw 2nd, :ford: Mustang 3rd.
[ame] ,

2018 Mosport Park Canada; :ford: Mustang 1st, :ford: Mustang 2nd, mercedes 3rd.
[ame]

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Well, it is 2019 and only weeks before the debut of the Mustang Supercar. I think it looks better without camouflage, although I have seen it on track in camouflage and I thought it looked fine. Hopefully the big wing makes it a winner!

Video here: https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/ford-mustang-supercar-unmasked/

Pics here: https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/gallery-fords-new-mustang-supercar/

Here with Ford Australia boss Kay Hart leaning on the car. Hopefully seeing her fly up to Queensland for the release indicates that she is keen and fully supports Ford being in Supercars:

t-Fabian-Coulthard-Ryan-Story-Sean-Seamer-Kay-Hart-Dick-Johnson-Phil-Munday-Will-Davison-900x600.jpg

P.S. The car is spare DJR Team Penske one, loaned for Ford to use for this promotion and other activations at the Adelaide 500.

Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I think the breaking news here, and perhaps the greatest thing in Mustang/DJRTP's favour, is that Chaz has finally had a :curse: HAIRCUT !!!

Must be the BMW influence 'vee do not hav zee hair like zis heere'

OB out/
I think you might be spot on re Chaz and his BMW drive. I expect him to grow it back, but hope he doesn’t.

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
If they are all going to look like the DJR Team Penske version then that is tragic. Of all of the versions to date that version looks the least like a Mustang. It looks like a cross between a Falcon of 10 years back and the current Mustang. Gawd damn awful!

I understand that the real Mustang shape would have had the homologous body cage sticking out of the back half of the roof, so the Supercar version is higher, shorter and less wide than the real Stang. :-(

Last weekend I was at the 12 hour and the Mustangs racing there looked good, but holy crap were they loud, in fact they made a hideous raspy sound that actually hurt your ears when you were close to them at full throttle. On the other hand the Aston Martin's and the Bentley's with their V12's sounded truly epic, I could have listened to them all day - in fact I did.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
If they are all going to look like the DJR Team Penske version then that is tragic. Of all of the versions to date that version looks the least like a Mustang. It looks like a cross between a Falcon of 10 years back and the current Mustang. Gawd damn awful!

I understand that the real Mustang shape would have had the homologous body cage sticking out of the back half of the roof, so the Supercar version is higher, shorter and less wide than the real Stang. :-(

Last weekend I was at the 12 hour and the Mustangs racing there looked good, but holy crap were they loud, in fact they made a hideous raspy sound that actually hurt your ears when you were close to them at full throttle. On the other hand the Aston Martin's and the Bentley's with their V12's sounded truly epic, I could have listened to them all day - in fact I did.
Those MARC 'Mustangs' (photos below, for those not familiar with them) don't entirely look like the real thing either, in my opinion. More like a Sports Sedan.

There is nothing wrong with the sound of the Mustang Supercar and they will draw a crowd that will be much larger than was at the 12 Hour.

The livery on this Mustang in not a Penske one. It is a temporary livery that Ford is using to publicise the return of the Ford and Mustang to Supercars.

Anyway, as long as the car wins, I don't care what a 'Mustang' looks like :-)

marcIItrack_17_large.jpg

bathurst-12-hour-2018-daniel-ferraro-downshiftaus00007.jpg

RogerS59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang Coupe, 2019 Silver GT, FG Falcon XR8 Ute
I prefer the rear wing thats on the MARC cars to the V8supercars....its awfull. At least that wing will take all the aero away from the car behind

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I prefer the rear wing thats on the MARC cars to the V8supercars....its awfull. At least that wing will take all the aero away from the car behind
True, the MARC car can have a smaller wing because it has an enormous F1 style defuser hanging underneath the car for downforce.

The wins go to the fastest car, not the prettiest. As you say, the big wing might upset the aero wash to the 888 cars behind it. :-). Might have a bigger inpact around corners than on the straights in that sense, at a guess. It is basically only the end plates that are larger than the other makes of cars.

Anyway, here’s hoping they have got their homework right and Ford see lots wins. :champagne:

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
bathurst-12-hour-2018-daniel-ferraro-downshiftaus00007.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I saw a picture of the new car in action yesterday, and that wing is awful. I'm sure it's functional, and it probably has to be that tall because of the raised roofline, but jeez, it looks like someone went to Pep Boys and found a bunch of random plastic parts to build a park bench on the decklid.

The rest of the car has kinda odd proportions, but I can tolerate it. Personally, I'd prefer that they ditch the spec chassis and use actual road chassis and bodywork (or at least modified bodywork) like they do in the Michelin Pilot Challenge (nee, Continental Sportscar Challenge). Hell, I'd be fine if they were all stock chassis with widebody kits like DTM!

JR

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I agree the GT4 Mustangs in the series you mention look great, but the GT4 class is designed for semi-pro/amateur racing.

The problem with any production based class like that is that the cars would not survive a major rollover or crash in a race on Saturday, and then be repaired in time for a race on Sunday. And they would be expensive to repair, if at all repairable.

If the GT4 cars that run in the Bathurst 12 Hour are any indication, the cars are slow compared with Supercars and there would be an outcry from most fans if that sort of racing was adopted. I personal would not mind GT4, but it would end up almost as expensive as current Supercars, with teams needing many more spare cars than they currently stock. And parity would be a nightmare.

Like it or not, people are not all that interested in production based racing.

The crowd at Bathurst last weekend was good, but despite some of the biggest names in Australian in international racing competing, the crowd was only about a fifth of the size of the crowd that will watch the Bathurst 1000 in October.

You have to consider Supercars as the equivalent of NASCAR. They are race cars, and I like the functional look of the Mustang rear wing.

On top of the need to increase both the height and length of the cabin area to fit the cage, both the wheelbase and overall length of the car had to be stretch by 100mm (about 4.5 inches) to meet regulations.

The Supercar looks much better than its NASCAR equivalent, but I support any race car that has a Ford badge on it. I even cheer on Aussie Racing Car Mustangs!

I could go on, but I hope this video I found is a graphic illustration of the task they had of adopting the Mustang body shape:

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Looks good but OMG that wing. Last time I saw those vertical elements they were on an F-111. Those following, ie the rest of the field no doubt, will have their vision obscured by the vortex.

Since-64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee, G6ET, 2016 Mustang
Looks good but OMG that wing. Last time I saw those vertical elements they were on an F-111. Those following, ie the rest of the field no doubt, will have their vision obscured by the vortex.
A few photos from yesterdays test day at Phillip Island
DSC_0789.JPG
DSC_0780.JPG
DSC_0789.JPG
DSC_0782.JPG
DSC_0827.JPG
DSC_0810.JPG
DSC_0811.JPG
DSC_0812.JPG
DSC_0789.JPG
DSC_0822.JPG
DSC_0848.JPG