Status
Not open for further replies.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
CPI in 2018 is 248.991 whereas CPI in 1987 was 113.6. Therefore:

248.991/113.6 * $12,106 = $26,534.20 today's dollars, not $35,000. I'd also consider the difference in weight of 3,100 to 3,878 to be huge as well.

Don't get me wrong, I had an '85 LX with 5.0 and I'd chose '18 GT over it myself.
True the cost is higher than inflation but I believe vehicles as a whole are above inflation. I could be wrong though.

Yes, 778 pounds is a large number but IIRC the 18's are longer and wider. We also have better interiors, a better trans, IRS, heavier engine, and tons of safety stuff over that 87.
Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
True the cost is higher than inflation but I believe vehicles as a whole are above inflation. I could be wrong though.

Yes, 778 pounds is a large number but IIRC the 18's are longer and wider. We also have better interiors, a better trans, IRS, heavier engine, and tons of safety stuff over that 87.
I used the general CPI so you may be right, but I don't think it's that big of a difference. Either way, I wholly agree with you that you definitely get a lot of car for the new models and a stock 430+HP back in the 80's would've been in a supercar category.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
What a stupid thread!
Even though there's a sticky post warning against inter-model bashing, we get "5.0-brahs" here and there that pop up thinking that 5.0's are god's gift to the mankind. There's no rule against bashing 5.0-brahs so I consider them a fair game, especially since they are types who lack the funds, tools, knowledge, and/or desire to work on their own cars beyond superficial mods. Fortunately, almost all 5.0 folks on this forum are cool and 5.0-brahs get squashed pretty quickly.

"Respect for all models and model years (EcoBoost, V6, GT, GT350, 2015-17, 2018+, etc) is expected of all members. Posting in a thread or section related to a specific trim/model/model year vehicle for the sole purpose of bashing the vehicle will not be tolerated on the forums."

djdstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoVert
In the 70s and 80s I got a earful from Camaro owners ....now GT owners are just as bad if you have a ecoboost.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
....now GT owners are just as bad if you have a ecoboost.[/QUOTE]

Only the dumb ones. Make an honest attempt to educate then move on. Life is to short for that kind of nonsense.

Sponsored

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
In the 70s and 80s I got a earful from Camaro owners ....now GT owners are just as bad if you have a ecoboost.
Never understood that nonsense. There're nothing wrong with any of the engine choices in the Mustang. The only wrong one was the NA 2.3L back in the Fox body days (I was an owner of one so I know of what I speak.). I ultimately went with the GT because it's a weekend/fun car and MPG was not that much of a concern. I drove the EB and it was a fine machine and a great choice for a DD if MPG is a concern. It still had tons of performance as well.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I sort of had the same experience with the first 15 GT I drove. I was used to my modified 88 GT and 05 GT. I was looking for the lower exhaust tone not the newer raspy sound. Keeping it real though, it still is no comparison to the poor ecoboost sound LOL. But what bummed me was that I was looking for that gut pulling, short shifting pull that even my older cars had. Granted the 15 screamed and pulled up top so much better then the older GT's I just wasn't expecting the low RPM torque loss. I didn't plan to tune for warranty reasons so I settled on the Ecoboost with an intercooler and 93 Oct which is a big different in performance. And damn this thing handles with 20" wheels and Ford racing suspension pack. Personally I'd be willing to give up some peak HP and 1000 RPM off the top for a solid bottom end pull in the GT. Pretty sure I would have a new GT in the garage if that was the case. I'm sure that is not a popular choice of many though and I'm sure would not help sell. It just wasn't worth the 10000 extra for the GT for me.
As somebody who has owned a lot of Mustang's including the low grunt 5.0's of yore (new 85 through 2006 until this new one) I'll take the 7,800rpm Drag Mode scream into possibly 11's stock over my old 5.0 any day of the week.

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
Ya that looks like a base, you need the PP in these cars to get the right experience, I love my ecoboost. Yes I do agree it does sound terrible but in every other aspect it's fantastic.
Performance package does not effect the engine....only suspension and tire bits.

I do agree with the OP. EcoBoost is a great engine (Focus RS)...just seems off in the Mustang though. They should have added DI to the 3.7 and called it a day.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Man I love this thread as it got me checking up on my facts. 286 was the actually horsepower number I spouted back then. So how did that happen? Well dynos today of 87 and up 5.0s stock cars will vary between 200 and 235 at the wheel. I think the most typical is 218. So that should be 250-255 at the crank. Sounds reasonable and I believe Ford actually admitting it low balled the horsepower figure (225) deliberately to help out its customers with insurance. But where is the extra 30?

The extra 30 came from Ford deliberately making the cats too free flowing. So much so a recall occurred years later with more restrictive cats. I didn’t care at the time as my exhaust was rusting out and I got a new one for free. All the fox bodied today must have the more restrictive cat on by now. But for those who lived in those days, that is how we got to 286!

For those interested, that is how it was back then. For everyone else, it’s just this old fart reminiscing about his glory days and then off to Walmart to buy his Dignity diapers. :lol:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
As pointed out, above, and in case you're not aware:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/announcement.php?f=56

3. Inter Model Bashing — The forum will not tolerate any bashing of another member's choice of vehicle, options/equipment, modifications, stock vs. non stock etc. Respect for all models and model years (EcoBoost, V6, GT, GT350, 2015-17, 2018+, etc) is expected of all members. Posting in a thread or section related to a specific trim/model/model year vehicle for the sole purpose of bashing the vehicle will not be tolerated on the forums.

RESPONSE: Deletion of the item and PM sent to the poster, warning that if the behavior continues their account will be suspended, removed or all of their posts will require the review and approval of the Moderators before posting.

Closing.....
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.