Not open for further replies.

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
I had an opportunity to rent an ecoboost Mustang recently during a business trip to an area just north of LA. What is cool about the area as opposed to being in the East, it looks like the Fast and the Furious everywhere you look. There are some nicely done cars out there.

I rented the white Mustang I thought might be fun. omg... as soon as I started it, I knew I would HATE the car. I know there is a HUGE following. I also understand the future is not V8, it is alternate fuels and smaller engines. So, thanks to the guys and vendors working to add muscle to those 4 bangers now.

I can't help what I felt. It sounded terrible. To add to this perversity, it drove worst than it sounded. I apologize Mustang ecoboost lovers, I really don't want to be dismissive of your passion. I like the feel of our Ecoboost Fusion a bit better.
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1785.JPG
Sponsored

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
I've owned an ecoboost fusion, and at the time the new ecoboost mustang came out 1/2 way into my lease, would have loooooooved to swap for an ecoboost stang at the time. You're taking things too far there.

I do agree about the V8 though, it's irreplaceable. I like, not love my Audi S4. It's a great car, but you love a V8. Never less than 8 again in an ICE car! It sounds nice on paper, not IRL

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I've owned an ecoboost fusion, and at the time the new ecoboost mustang came out 1/2 way into my lease, would have loooooooved to swap for an ecoboost stang at the time. You're taking things too far there.

I do agree about the V8 though, it's irreplaceable. I like, not love my Audi S4. It's a great car, but you love a V8. Never less than 8 again in an ICE car! It sounds nice on paper, not IRL
Agreed. I test drive both the Ecoboost and the GT before falling in love with the V8. I enjoyed the Ecoboost and thought it was a fun car, but it wasn't love at first sight.

I do know others that fell in love with the Ecoboost and the fun package it provides at an affordable price. Plus, a buddy of mine gets a solid 6 MPG more with his Ecoboost. Fuel economy isn't a concern of mine, but people look for different things in a car.

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD
yeah, i told this before, the EB mustang is for 2 kinds of people: people that dont have the money, like the mustang and dont want to wait save the money and buy a v8. and For people that like how the mustang looks and want to drive one and really dont care about the engine.

But if you really are a car enthusiast, you want the drive experience. so you will get a V8. and you wont even consider a 4 cylinder mustang. Aka car guy/ girl

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
yeah, i told this before, the EB mustang is for 2 kinds of people: people that dont have the money, like the mustang and dont want to wait save the money and buy a v8. and For people that like how the mustang looks and want to drive one and really dont care about the engine.

But if you really are a car enthusiast, you want the drive experience. so you will get a V8. and you wont even consider a 4 cylinder mustang. Aka car guy/ girl
Well, I didn't need/want another V8, so there's that 3rd option. I don't get the point of this thread. :doh:

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Well, I didn't need/want another V8, so there's that 3rd option. I don't get the point of this thread. :doh:

Fill with 93 octane as rentals have the cheapest 87 crap in there. Then get back to us. The Ecoboost loses a ton of power on cheap 87 gas. Look at me defending the Ecoboost guys! :lol:

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer

I'll add a 3rd type of person.as I almost bought one
C. Someone who drives 30k a year and all ready has a 67 GT500 and a 600hp 56 Ford in the garage.

OP go drive one with the performance pack and more octane and get back to us.

Yes I ended up with the GT but it was a tough decision with the niles I drive. I thought the EcoBoost was a great car.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Ya that looks like a base, you need the PP in these cars to get the right experience, I love my ecoboost. Yes I do agree it does sound terrible but in every other aspect it's fantastic.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I sort of had the same experience with the first 15 GT I drove. I was used to my modified 88 GT and 05 GT. I was looking for the lower exhaust tone not the newer raspy sound. Keeping it real though, it still is no comparison to the poor ecoboost sound LOL. But what bummed me was that I was looking for that gut pulling, short shifting pull that even my older cars had. Granted the 15 screamed and pulled up top so much better then the older GT's I just wasn't expecting the low RPM torque loss. I didn't plan to tune for warranty reasons so I settled on the Ecoboost with an intercooler and 93 Oct which is a big different in performance. And damn this thing handles with 20" wheels and Ford racing suspension pack. Personally I'd be willing to give up some peak HP and 1000 RPM off the top for a solid bottom end pull in the GT. Pretty sure I would have a new GT in the garage if that was the case. I'm sure that is not a popular choice of many though and I'm sure would not help sell. It just wasn't worth the 10000 extra for the GT for me.

tripleyellowmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 3xyellow EBPP

brpec, I think you are being simple minded. There are many persons who have the money for a GT or GT350, who care about performance and still bought the EB. The engines performs better than the GT's of the past and are fairly economical. Each person has different needs for their vehicle. I chose to drive the EB. I could also paint with a broad brush, such as you have, and describe persons who make comments such as yours, but why waste my time.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I rented a similar car. All it really needs is PP and manual transmission. An option for the 2.7 turbo V6 borrowed from the F150 would be cool too and shouldn't change the MPG very much.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I've currently got an '18 Ecoboost 10 speed rental as well. I'm sorry, but 87, 93, or whatever, this is not in the same league as a GT. It's still fun to drive and the 10 speed makes it feel quick, but we shouldn't even mention Ecoboost and GT at the same time. Still not a fan of the 10 speed, but I won't deny I'm heavily biased to the driving experience of the manual. In D Normal mode, the tranny is smooth but not as quick as in Sport+. However, in Sport+, lower rpm shifts seem harsh and jerky. It doesn't seem to know when I want it to shift, it shifts when it wants to shift. As mentioned in another thread, it can be almost dangerous if you really get on it and then let up quickly. The car just keeps going for a second or two. The auto may be quicker, but I'll take the manual every day over this. I just prefer being in the gear I want to be in when I want to be in it.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I sort of had the same experience with the first 15 GT I drove. I was used to my modified 88 GT and 05 GT. I was looking for the lower exhaust tone not the newer raspy sound. Keeping it real though, it still is no comparison to the poor ecoboost sound LOL. But what bummed me was that I was looking for that gut pulling, short shifting pull that even my older cars had. Granted the 15 screamed and pulled up top so much better then the older GT's I just wasn't expecting the low RPM torque loss. I didn't plan to tune for warranty reasons so I settled on the Ecoboost with an intercooler and 93 Oct which is a big different in performance. And damn this thing handles with 20" wheels and Ford racing suspension pack. Personally I'd be willing to give up some peak HP and 1000 RPM off the top for a solid bottom end pull in the GT. Pretty sure I would have a new GT in the garage if that was the case. I'm sure that is not a popular choice of many though and I'm sure would not help sell. It just wasn't worth the 10000 extra for the GT for me.

What all you guys secretly want is an old fashioned push rod V8. That’s what you want because low rpm is what you do. You were lured by numbers on the advertisement and expected a push rod engine but more. There’s always the other car maker but we won’t go there...Gone anyways :ford:

Sometimes nostalgia was right! :D

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
My cousin owns a GT350 as a daily driver and took my EB out for a drive and he had a blast tossing it around. He couldn't believe how well it handled, and he even liked the sound inside the cockpit with the windows up(I told him about the sound system engine noise). He had test driven GTs prior to buying the GT350 and said the GT felt heavy and slow compared to the EB/PP. Also, the EB requires 93 octane to get full power and not everyone cares how a car sounds from the curb. The only thing that matters is how the driver feels when driving the car. Sound has nothing to do with performance.

Also, there are reports that the EB had gotten slower in late 2015, and 16,17. I think car and driver ran a piece titled Ecoboost getting slower. The early 2015 EB/PP with auto are 5.2 0-60 cars in stock firm, less than 1 second difference to 60 than a 15-17 GT.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
What all you guys secretly want is an old fashioned push rod V8. That’s what you want because low rpm is what you do. You were lured by numbers on the advertisement and expected a push rod engine but more. There’s always the other car maker but we won’t go there...Gone anyways :ford:

Sometimes nostalgia was right! :D
Actually you are exactly correct in my case. That high rpm power is perfect for the track. In my case it isn't that useful in my area and I really don't like the attention that 6000 rpm racing around causes. I've had a few turbo cars lately too. I really would like the v6 twin turbo in this.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.