Sponsored

Mustang Ecoboost Manual fuel economy on long highway commutes

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Hi,

I commute 115 miles to work, and I average over 4,000 miles a month. I'm looking at waiting until the summer and then picking up a slightly used Ecoboost manual.

Overall my driving is about 70% highway and 30% city. My current car EPA rating is 26 mpg combined just like the mustang ecoboost manual and overall mpg with this drive is around 28 mpg calculated at the pump.

If the Ecoboost manual could match that I'd be happy! Thoughts?

P.S. I've ruled out getting a beater, a Prius, or a diesel. I'm a car guy and would go crazy driving one of those!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Where in the world do you plan on getting a slightly used Ecoboost manual in the summer? Who gets rid of cars in less than a year?

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Hi,

I commute 115 miles to work, and I average over 4,000 miles a month. I'm looking at waiting until the summer and then picking up a slightly used Ecoboost manual.

Overall my driving is about 70% highway and 30% city. My current car EPA rating is 26 mpg combined just like the mustang ecoboost manual and overall mpg with this drive is around 28 mpg calculated at the pump.

If the Ecoboost manual could match that I'd be happy! Thoughts?

P.S. I've ruled out getting a beater, a Prius, or a diesel. I'm a car guy and would go crazy driving one of those!

Thanks in advance!
Good luck finding a used one. Propably better to buy new 2015 model when they are rolling out the 2016 for deeper discount. Also do not get the performance package, as your MPG will suffer due to the 3.55 gears

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
Where in the world do you plan on getting a slightly used Ecoboost manual in the summer? Who gets rid of cars in less than a year?
Somebody in this board traded in an Ecoboost Mustang for a GT already. It does happen, although probably not often.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
lease?

Sponsored

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Good luck finding a used one. Propably better to buy new 2015 model when they are rolling out the 2016 for deeper discount. Also do not get the performance package, as your MPG will suffer due to the 3.55 gears
End of year discounts is definitely an option. I also can look around on autotrader or ebay motors and if one is available that I like I can fly across the country and get it.

IGJoe2192

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Automobile
Would be nice if someone could chime in and answer the guys question instead of doubting whether he will find a slightly used EB or not. Odds are, he will find one. So how about that mileage does anyone have real world experience?

To the OP, that is one hell of a commute!

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I went on a trip this past weekend that was about 60 miles one way with most of that being on the freeway.

So 120 miles later (including letting my friend mob the piss out of it on a mountain pass) my trip meter was still showing 28.2mpg as the average. I reset it before I left my house, so I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 30+ on my way up (w/ cruise set at 74mph). This is with my 6MT EB PP, so I have the 3.55's.

With 3.15's it should do better than that.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Would be nice if someone could chime in and answer the guys question instead of doubting whether he will find a slightly used EB or not. Odds are, he will find one. So how about that mileage does anyone have real world experience?

To the OP, that is one hell of a commute!
Thats the problem. We all just got our cars, and we dont have enough mileage in them to give him a proper answer. I've only driven mine three times and has only 200 kms, as I have stored it away for the winter. Come summer I'll have an idea what the real world experience will be like.

Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I have an auto EB with PP but I'll throw out there that when I reset before a trip to Baltimore from PA I averaged 32.5mpg for like 85 miles with no traffic doing 75 the whole way so without PP it should be pretty good

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Prob will be withing 1 mpg...3.15s and 3.55s were not seeing that much of a MPG difference in the MPG thread.

mizer67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, please
People I trust have hit the combined rating for the automatic (25) when driving very conservatively for a similar mix of city/hwy, so 26 mpg for the manual should be possible to achieve. You just have to keep it out of boost.

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
I took mine for a 200 mile round trip 2 days after getting it. Averaged between 26 and 27. Cruise set at 80.
Also, this was with the fuel the dealer put in, which was likely 87 octane.

EB Premium, manual, no PP
Sponsored