Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
With Its Greatest-ever Performance Lineup, Mustang Earns World’s Best-Selling Sports Car Title

2020-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-5705.jpg

• Ford’s constant investment in more Mustang performance offerings is fueling its momentum, making it the best-selling sports car in the world last year and fifth consecutive year for the world’s best-selling sports coupe title
  • Now 12 performance pony variants in the lineup: Mustang EcoBoost®and GT models each with two Performance Pack options, Mustang BULLITT, Mustang Shelby® GT350 and available Handling Pack, GT350R, plus GT500 with Handling and Carbon Fiber Track Pack options
  • Since sixth-generation Mustang global exports began in 2015, through December 2019, Ford has sold 633,000 Mustangs in 146 countries around the world – including 102,090 Mustangs in 2019
DEARBORN, Mich., April 17, 2020 – This Mustang Day – the nameplate’s 56th birthday – Mustang can now celebrate two global sales crowns, earning world’s best-selling sports car and its fifth straight best-selling sports coupe title. Mustang is also America’s best-selling sports car of the last 50 years.

“We’re proud of our growing Mustang stable and performance variants,” said Jim Farley, chief operating officer, Ford Motor Company. “From Sweden to Shanghai, more and more driving enthusiasts are enjoying the feeling of freedom and the American open road in these new Mustangs. We are honored to serve our owners, enthusiasts and fans for 56 years and counting.”

Two global sales crowns
Fueled by its greatest-ever performance lineup, Mustang sold 102,090 units, according to the most recent new vehicle registration data from IHS Markit, making it the best-selling sports car in the world in 2019. During this period, Mustang sales in Germany increased 33 percent, in Poland sales rose by nearly 50 percent, and in France, they nearly doubled.

The year 2019 also marks the fifth consecutive year that Mustang was the best-selling sports coupe in the world. Sports coupes, as defined by IHS Markit, include two-door and convertible models.

Greatest-ever Mustang performance lineup
In addition to continually adding personalization and technology options, Ford keeps up the Mustang momentum with the nameplate's greatest-ever performance lineup.

With up to 12 enthusiast models available globally, Ford offers customers a new golden age of Mustang performance. These Mustang variants include EcoBoost® and GT models each with two Performance Pack options, Mustang BULLITT, Mustang Shelby® GT350 and available Handling Pack, Shelby GT350R, plus Shelby GT500 with Handling Pack and Carbon Fiber Track Pack options.

# # #

Note: IHS Markit global vehicle registrations are compiled from government and other sources and capture 95 percent of global new vehicle volumes in more than 80 countries. Sports cars, as defined by IHS Markit, include all vehicles in the IHS Markit Global Sports Car segment. Mustang is America’s best-selling sports car over the last 50 years, based on Ford analysis of 1966-2018 total U.S. new vehicle cumulative registrations for all sports car segments supplied by IHS Markit.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...rns-worlds-best-selling-sports-car-title.html
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'll admit.......I was hoping for '21MY news today, but at least Ford waited for a good day to release this info :like:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
This is really cool. Especially in the current political climate, it's good to know America has another "ambassador" spreading goodwill. I'm curious though, how long until some anorak pops in to say "it's not a sports car" :giggle:?
I suspect it'd still be number one if the category was "Grand Tourer".............and it definitely wins the Pony car segment :like:

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Sports car?????

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
yup

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
With the Ford people so delighted by their lineup of performance Mustangs, it is hard to believe Ford would discontinue the GT350 Mustang after model year 2020.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
With the Ford people so delighted by their lineup of performance Mustangs, it is hard to believe Ford would discontinue the GT350 Mustang after model year 2020.
GT350 has had a good run. We'll never know if Ford intended it to run for 6 model years (which neatly reflects the original '65-'70 run).....many thought it was only going to be a 2 year run like the Boss. Some think it ran for an extra model year as the GT500 took longer to reach production than anticipated. All thing Ford will never reveal. It's received small updates over the years, probably the most significant of which is the revised block.......but again, I think that only happened because its shared with the GT500.

Whilst the GT350 will go down as one of the greatest Mustangs of all time, I feel Ford are right to retire it whilst it's on top. Whilst probably not a direct replacement, the Mach 1 is coming, followed within a couple of years by the S650. Better to go out with a bang than a whimper (and no, I'm not talking about the Voodoo :giggle: )

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Sales don’t matter. Having a rare more original sports car that you don’t see on every corner. Is much more important.:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Jostrom8021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500, Rapid Red Metallic, black stripes, Silver pin stripes, 2000 GT convertible
I was thinking that Ford would be crowding the line up if they continued the GT350 and added the Mach 1. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure that there will be plenty of help here), but 2020 will see the following:

Eco boost
Eco boost high performance
GT
Bullet
GT 350
GT 500

That's a lot of variations on a theme if you ask me.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Ford has a handful of models to suit taste. Dodge has some great marketing and some aggressive sales. I had 2 charges (5.7 & 392) and a WideBody 392 Challenger.
I did enjoy mr Challenger a lot it was heavy sure but it was definitely fun to drive. I think the quality of both are about equal. The mustang appears to be faster and has a bit more comfort and better handling but the dodge 392 is just a brute. I like my 5.0 and the 392.

if I had to choose which one to buy between the two tomorrow I’m not sure which one I would pick.
Sponsored