Mustang Convertible Top & Snow

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
@Ecto1 Thank you for the response. Just a further question. How do you go about getting the soaked up water out of the canvas? Any tips on that?
Unless you live in a lake effect snow belt like Buffalo or Chicago (where it's cloudy all winter and snows EVERY day) you shouldn't need to do anything special to dry the top. The sun will cause plenty of evaporation as will driving the car with the heater warming the interior. Heat rises and will help dry out the top as you drive. The biggest problem will be leaving the snow to harden after each storm. If the sun can't reach the canvas or there's too much snow on the roof the heater won't cause enough melting to dry out the top. It's a pain but you need to sweep the snow off the top as soon as possible after each storm. If you use a top conditioner like the Chemical Guys or RaggTopp and clean the snow off the top you shouldn't have any problems.
Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Has to take 135mph + wind :wink:
Hahaha, I read this a bit too fast and thought you meant the top had to take driving at 135+ mph. Yes, it will take that easily. The newest top design is light-years ahead of earlier ones. Even the front bow connection to the windshield frame is recessed to get it out of the wind. The front bow on my '65 vette would start to lift off the windshield frame at 140.....scary. The Fox? Dunno. Never got it to go that fast....lol

Canadian Crimson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP1 Royal Crimson
Unless you live in a lake effect snow belt like Buffalo or Chicago (where it's cloudy all winter and snows EVERY day) you shouldn't need to do anything special to dry the top. The sun will cause plenty of evaporation as will driving the car with the heater warming the interior. Heat rises and will help dry out the top as you drive. The biggest problem will be leaving the snow to harden after each storm. If the sun can't reach the canvas or there's too much snow on the roof the heater won't cause enough melting to dry out the top. It's a pain but you need to sweep the snow off the top as soon as possible after each storm. If you use a top conditioner like the Chemical Guys or RaggTopp and clean the snow off the top you shouldn't have any problems.
SInce you live in Fl you probably didnt realize it, but most states and provinces have laws that you must clean the sno/ice off your roof.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
The "marine" version may just cost more, but be the same stuff since it is sold in marine stores.

Everything costs more in a marine store.

CVCashmere

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Hi Everyone,
I am in the process of getting a 2017 Mustang Convertible Ecoboost, but I am a little worried about how the soft top will handle snow. I live in Toronto Canada so we do get our fair share of snow.

I just want to know if I can manage in the snow with a soft top convertible and no garage parking. I really want to get a convertible and this thought is the only thing holding me back. Is the convertible soft top durable enough to handle the extreme weather conditions?

Any sort of feedback on how the soft top will handle snow and rain would be really appreciated.

Maybe I should get an added warranty to cover the top?

A-yellow-Ford-Mustang-is-parked-on-the-side-of-the-road.jpeg
Had a convertible fabric top vehicle in Durham Region for many years. Wash it, light scrub and dry then use RAGGTOPP fabric protector. Hopefully you can do this before the winter. This product is endorsed by Haartz who makes most of the convertible tops for OEMs.

The real issues are actually in warmer weather, always make sure the top is clean and dry before you put it down and don't store the car for extended periods with the top down (inside a garage for a few weeks at a time etc... - but that doesn't sound like something you'll encounter).

Sponsored

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
SInce you live in Fl you probably didnt realize it, but most states and provinces have laws that you must clean the sno/ice off your roof.
When I lived in Baltimore there was "supposedly" a law requiring the top of cars and trucks and (especially) TRAILERS to be cleaned of snow & ice BEFORE operating on the highway but I've NEVER seen this enforced. I've dodged many a sheet of snow/ice that flew up off of the car/truck/trailer in front of me while traveling down the road. VERY hazardous but just another of the pleasures of driving in winter weather.

KnightStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT convertible
I got one of those Half Car cover from amazon couple years ago.
It does work, but I think the key is to not let the weight of the snow on the Top linger. (clean it off as soon as you can)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0755BFYYQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I’m in the NorthEast, and were used to the snow.
Also, be careful, and make sure you dont use too much force with the snow brush when cleaning the top off.

FFA79042-CC00-47A0-B46A-7B4FED982D32.jpeg
—

ACC5D38A-1B6C-486A-BEE0-5079E36200F7.jpeg

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My Mustang GT is my 7th convertible. I've never had a problem with canvas soft tops in the winter. A good top conditioner and a snow brush to keep them clear of snow buildup is about all the special care needed for winter.

For the rest of the year:

Don't put the top down when it's wet.
Check the drain holes occasionally.
Keep the top up, when not in use.
Treat the window track rubber once a year to keep it from drying out. It's important on the rear side windows.

If you ever have to replace a top, it can get quite expensive. But, my prior convertible was 12 years old when I sold it and the top still had many years left in it.
Sponsored

Last edited: