Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Good read about the rise of pony/muscle car culture in China.

Mustang-Camaro rivalry takes root in China

In the world's largest market, Ford and GM flex their muscle cars

AR-304249957.jpg

SHANGHAI -- Few feuds are as fanatical as the Ford Mustang-Chevy Camaro throwdown, a decades-old emblem of American consumer demand for throttle power and driving freedom.

Now the quintessential American rivalry is taking root in China.

A growing cadre of hot-rodders here are enthralled with the U.S. cars, and Ford and Chevrolet are playing up their performance and iconic designs as the brands seek better traction in the world's biggest market.

Chevrolet upped the stakes last month by launching its sixth-generation Camaro. It goes up against the Mustang, which arrived here in 2015. Both cars were partly remade for overseas tastes as parent companies Ford Motor Co. and General Motors look to widen their international appeal.

But it is the no-apologies Americana aura exuded by both cars that is hooking their fans.

"We're seeing the beginning of a muscle car culture here," said James Chao, a China market auto analyst with IHS Markit. "Something that is uniquely American appeals to the Chinese consumer. The image that it relays to the automotive public is very positive."

Detroit allure

Volumes are still tiny. But they are part of a broader trend of Detroit carmakers slowly testing their fuller American lineups in the Middle Kingdom, where consumer tastes are surprisingly aligned with those of Americans and where many customers see American brands as aspirational.

The Ford-GM showdown in China soon could even extend to that mother of all U.S. rivalries: pickups.

Ahead of this month's Shanghai auto show, Ford announced it will bring its Ranger midsize pickup to China in 2018, following the intro of the F-150 Raptor this month.

Chevrolet announced late last year that it will bring the Silverado full-size and Colorado midsize pickups to China in 2017. And both vehicles were centerpieces of Chevy's Shanghai show stand last week.

Alan Batey, Chevrolet's global brand chief, put the new opportunities into perspective in a conversation with Automotive News during the show.

"I don't believe the muscle car segment is going to be a leading segment in China, nor do I believe full-sized pickups are going to be a huge segment," he said. "What they're doing is telling the story of the brands.

"Chevrolet's got an amazing history, a 100-year-old brand that's been here for only a decade, that people don't even know about. But they are fascinated by it."

V3-304249957.jpg

Chinese Mustang fans show off their wheels during a fan appreciation event in downtown Shanghai, here and below, amid a thick aura of Americana. Photo credit: HANS GREIMEL

Enthusiasm for Motown metal was on full display as Ford celebrated the Mustang's 53rd anniversary here at an April 17 fan event alongside Shanghai's Huangpu River.

Amid a splay of Mustangs past and present, the sounds of the Beach Boys' "Surfin' U.S.A." and Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" mingled with the growl of 5.0-liter V-8 engines as proud owners showed off their babies. The dress code: leather jacket and jeans.

Aficionados here flock to clubs such as the American Muscle Club of China, which boasts some 8,000 members, according to club officer Michael Mu, 30, who runs a line of English-language schools. He owns a black modified 2015 Mustang that he affectionately dubbed "Dark Knight."

"Plenty of pretty ladies drive these cars, too, because they want to show off their vibrant personality," said Mu, vice president of the club's east region, which includes Shanghai.

Tapping a wider audience was exactly the game plan when Ford overhauled the pony car in 2014 to launch it in some two dozen markets, including China. Until then, China had been essentially off-limits. Tweaks included the first right-hand-drive Mustang for places such as Australia.

"There's 50 years of pent-up demand here we've never officially exploited," said Dave Schoch, president of Ford Asia Pacific. "The Mustang is an American icon. They respect it for what it is."

Yet it was archrival Camaro that stole the early lead in China. It landed in 2011 riding the popular Transformers movie franchise, which was a big hit in China. The film features a robot named Bumblebee that disguises itself as a bright yellow Camaro.

"The most important thing for me was the movie Transformers," says Andy Huang of his decision to buy a 3.6-liter V-6 2012 Camaro -- in yellow, no less.

Donning mirrored aviator sunglasses, a tie-dyed American flag T-shirt and a manicured hipster beard, the 30-year-old photographer adds, "It looks pretty cool, too."

Chevrolet looks to extend that momentum with the arrival of the sixth-generation Camaro, which went on sale here last month. Unlike the Mustang, which options a 2.3-liter or 5.0-liter powerplant in China, the Camaro is offered only as a 2.0-liter turbo here.

Analysts agree with Ford and GM planners that introducing these cars, even at low volumes, draws people to the brands. Mustang owner Jason Wong, 34, says he's more loyal to Ford now.

"Ford is a car for the masses, but the quality is good and reliable," he said. "I trust it."

Sometimes, having the cars in the lineup leads to unexpected benefits.

Car shoppers are often lured into a showroom by the eye candy, only to drive away in something decidedly more domesticated. But for Wong, it was just the opposite.

"I really wanted to buy the Mondeo," Wong said of the pedestrian four-door family car. "But when I saw the Mustang, it was love at first sight. I had to buy it. And I will drive it forever."

Paying the price

To be sure, the Mustang and Camaro are still niche players in China, and Dodge doesn't even make a go of it by trying to sell the Challenger or Charger.

Chevy says it has sold just 2,000 Camaros since introducing the car in 2011. Sales dropped to a measly 18 vehicles in the first quarter of this year, as it cleared inventory for the sixth generation.

Ford says it has sold more than 6,200 Mustangs since 2015. Sales jumped 90 percent to 963 vehicles in the first quarter. But that still represents less than 3 percent of its global volume.

Chinese drivers typically splurge on top-trim packages, whereas the U.S. casts a wider net with a bigger range of entry offerings, says Trevor Worthington, vice president for product development at Ford Asia Pacific. That helps prop up sticker prices.

In China, the new Camaro starts at about 399,900 yuan, around $58,000 -- more than double the U.S. entry-level price of $26,900, including shipping. The Mustang starts at about $15 cheaper.

The prices are inflated by a 25 percent import tariff on the U.S.-made cars, shipping fees and homologation costs. But the manufacturers may also be able to charge more simply because they can.

"These kind of people love American culture," Mustang owner Mu says of his kindred spirits. "If you want this car, you're going to have to pay the price."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170424/OEM/304249957/mustang-camaro-rivalry-takes-root-in-china
Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Bet you can go catless there. Look at the haze in the background.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
It's always nice to see the best of our culture being appreciated in foreign lands. There is something special and uniquely American about the experience that you have behind the wheel of either one of these cars...either one can give you that particular kind of warm/tingly feeling in your guts that you just don't get from any other kind of car.

It's really important that GM expands the market on the Camaro so they can fund the much needed exterior refresh. They need to do nothing to the mechanicals but if they made it a notch more serious looking (rather than cartoony as the current one seems to be) and improved the visibility (even a little bit), Ford could be in serious trouble.

LOL... they don't have the "crooked EPA" to worry about. :doh:

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
So many fans and still none of them grabbed a picture of the 2018 export tail lights at the Shanhai Auto Show and put it online :frusty:

Sponsored

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Fastback Mustang GT

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
LOL probably not getting pulled over anytime soon for no cats:D

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
LOL probably not getting pulled over anytime soon for no cats:D
No but most of china requires inspections every 3 months to every 2 years. And most modifications are illegal. When my father was there he said it was incredibly frowned upon to do any kind of modification, and could get your car impounded. To many's surprise China actually has some pretty stringent laws regarding personal automobiles.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
No but most of china requires inspections every 3 months to every 2 years. And most modifications are illegal. When my father was there he said it was incredibly frowned upon to do any kind of modification, and could get your car impounded. To many's surprise China actually has some pretty stringent laws regarding personal automobiles.

Yeah one word "Communism." Individuality and personal freedom is usually frowned upon in states like that.

zzj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H1828
So many fans and still none of them grabbed a picture of the 2018 export tail lights at the Shanhai Auto Show and put it online :frusty:
I was there today at Shanghai International Auto Show. There was nothing really special at all. The same white taillights without sequential function. No wonder people spend over a thousand USD to convert their taillights to red US spec with sequential turning lights.

Sponsored

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was there today. There was nothing really special at all. The same white taillights without sequential function. No wonder people spend over a thousand USD to convert their taillights to red US spec with sequential turning lights.
how do you know that they are without sequential ? Did you see them in action ?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Most of the european tail lights have yellow outter turn signals and red bars for brake lights due to regulation.

zzj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H1828
Since I know over 20+ Chinese mustang owners in Shanghai. The law in China require YELLOW tuning signal. So all the taillights of Chinese spec mustang here have one yellow light bar on the outside of each tail light. When you press the brake the inner two light bars of each taillights turns on red and the third bars outside are dark. When you use the turning signal only that outside YELLOW light bar flash. That's how they works. Even you try to import the US spec mustang. The customer staffs will convert your taillights to work like the way I described but leave the the taillights cover red. You won't pass the inspection and get registration with US spec taillights but can spend money to covert them to US spec after the inspection and registration which a lot of people did as I know.

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of the european tail lights have yellow outter turn signals and red bars for brake lights due to regulation.
True, but most of them come now with sequential turn (Audi, VW,...). This is very easy for Ford to put Amber/Red led chips in all 3 bars to have them compliant for the european rules.

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since I know over 20+ Chinese mustang owners in Shanghai. The law in China require YELLOW tuning signal. So all the taillights of Chinese spec mustang here have one yellow light bar on the outside of each tail light. When you press the brake the inner two light bars of each taillights turns on red and the third bars outside are dark. When you use the turning signal only that outside YELLOW light bar flash. That's how they works. Even you try to import the US spec mustang. The customer staffs will convert your taillights to work like the way I described but leave the the taillights cover red. You won't pass the inspection and get registration with US spec taillights but can spend money to covert them to US spec after the inspection and registration which a lot of people did as I know.
I know, this law is the same as all other EU countries. I have the exactly same specs on my car, 2 inner bars red for brake and only the outter bar amber for turn. I'm also one of the guys who spent around 600€ to convert my EU tail lights to have 3 bars for brake and 3 amber sequential bars...
Sponsored

Reactions: zzj