Mustang Brake Recall

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Very interesting, Tob and it sounds like you and those around your build time may be in the clear on this one. But I have no idea how one would obtain a BOM (Bill Of Materials?)
I’m not home to check, but I think my BOM was in the pile of papers found in the car. Maybe Tob can post a pix of one.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I wonder how Ford looks at the track attack cars and liability... For those of you who haven't done it yet, you are literally mashing the brakes at a high rate of speed multiple times a day.
The cars don't belong to Ford. They belong to Dan McKeever and the Ford Performance Racing School (which is not owned by Ford). Ford uses the Ford Performance Racing School as a contractor to provide this program. I would imagine that if Dan McKeever called Ford and said send me the new parts ASAP, he would probably have them the next day.

First things first, our VINs need to be uploaded into the NHTSA database, because as of today, my VIN reflects no recall items, yet falls into the category of having the defective part. If there is no official recall for your VIN, good luck getting the part. I ordered it, but they have no idea when it will be coming in.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Correct me if I’m wrong. But I think the AF is the replacement part, not the recalled part?
So according to your source’s part numbers, our AB part is not under recall?
My service guy said our cars are not listed under the recall. (yet...)
AF was derived from another part, which was the AB part. AF is one of the assemblies affected.

Screenshot_20201016-104702_Drive.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For which part?

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The cars don't belong to Ford. They belong to Dan McKeever and the Ford Performance Racing School (which is not owned by Ford). Ford uses the Ford Performance Racing School as a contractor to provide this program. I would imagine that if Dan McKeever called Ford and said send me the new parts ASAP, he would probably have them the next day.
Someone in our group asked the question and they confirmed that the school owned the cars.
BTW: I noticed some Job 1 and some Job 2 cars in the mix (antenna differences).

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
You're one lucky man to make the TA trip twice, Tim. Pretty dang cool and you'll be able to tell the story of "The Two 2020 Shelbys" for a long time. :cool:

I wish I had your confidence in Ford and their suppliers but after this vehicle purchase, their credibility leaves a lot to be desired. I hope I won't need to hammer them for any reason until the new bracket is installed.

So, what did the FPR folks have to say about the brake recall...anything?
Thanks KB... it was an epic day! I did not inquire about the brake recall.
I was in the fast group too, was fun. But based on my experience at COTA, I would estimate we were only performing the cars to about 80% on the Roval. I’m sure some might have been closer to the limit from time to time. COTA has 2 long straights where 130 and 155 were the norm. I don’t think we got near those numbers on the Roval.
The max I hit was 135. Our group was 2-3 students... some sessions it was just the two of us with the instructor and a couple had another crazy student with us. We were haul’n ass and rather tight. If I was on the track by myself, I could have hit speeds above 135, but you have to worry about the guys in front and behind in the braking zones.

Many of the instructors commented about the first video I did in the spring. They said it helped sell the school and drive up attendance. I plan to make another video in the coming weeks... this one will be better. What an amazing day!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was lucky in that I only had one other guy and the instructor. We hit 139 a couple of times but that was it.

Goose....anyone get into the 11's at the strip?

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Ok this thread is going everywhere at this point, so let me be the one to ask this: Which are the "Defective Parts" which are 'Not', which is the *Replacement* part that it should be replaced with. Is the brake "Pedal" also in the recall as I have seen that thrown around as well. How does one find the part number on their own cars other than contorting under the dash, and how does one obtain the BOM of their car as I have nothing that sort with my car.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Someone in our group asked the question and they confirmed that the school owned the cars.
BTW: I noticed some Job 1 and some Job 2 cars in the mix (antenna differences).
Yes, it was the same with the GT350's. Dan McKeever owns the Ford Performance Racing School.

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
I was in the fast group too, was fun. But based on my experience at COTA, I would estimate we were only performing the cars to about 80% on the Roval. I’m sure some might have been closer to the limit from time to time. COTA has 2 long straights where 130 and 155 were the norm. I don’t think we got near those numbers on the Roval.
I did the Charlotte roval 9/12-13 and was over 150 at least half the time and always over 145 at the end of the back straight if not in traffic.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok this thread is going everywhere at this point, so let me be the one to ask this: Which are the "Defective Parts" which are 'Not', which is the *Replacement* part that it should be replaced with. Is the brake "Pedal" also in the recall as I have seen that thrown around as well. How does one find the part number on their own cars other than contorting under the dash, and how does one obtain the BOM of their car as I have nothing that sort with my car.
I’m probably not reading this correctly, but here is the recall repair info. Page 6 says to order the “AF” part for sports package pedal assembly:

Attachments

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did the Charlotte roval 9/12-13 and was over 150 at least half the time and always over 145 at the end of the back straight if not in traffic.
I’m sure you could. But our instructor-led laps started the oval part a bit slow, and I never fully depressed the go pedal to stay on his bumper. They also had us braking at the 6 marker, which is waaay too early. Could have gone to the 3 at least. After the bus stop, the swap took time, so that segment was really slow.
They were definitely taking it easy on “their” cars.