Sponsored

Musings: Do I spend another £20K plus to go from a 2016 to 2018 GT?

Afdyce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT auto
I want to be totally clear that this post is absolutely not intended to offend anyone on this forum.

I currently have a 2016 GT Auto with lots of mods and I have just had a week in Florida with a 2018 Avis Ecoboost convertible auto. I hope these observations might help anyone considering upgrading to a 2018/19.

Things I really liked
The convertible top. It is quick and very easy to use and well insulated on the motorway, it has about the same sound level as the coupe when it's shut.

Sync 3. It is more user friendly and has Apple CarPlay. It might be a US thing only, the Avis car had a sim card so that you could use it as a hotspot.

The LED headlights. Much brighter than the 2016s

Things that were just "okay"
The new instrument cluster. After a couple of days of play I left it in standard mode. The one bit I would like to keep is the large and clear gear indicator.

The burnt silver trim, which didn't feel any different to the chrome trim on my car.

The new nose design which has gone from Mustang more towards inoffensive Toyota.

The view out. Without the prominent bonnet creases you could be in a saloon.

Things I really wanted to like
The A10 gearbox. Now, maybe it is unfair because it was mated to the Ecoboost rather than the V8. From neutral it clunked in to drive with a lurch like a vintage Bentley. It has too many gears, 8th at a 40mph cruise, really?
It doesn't have an ounce of sportiness in it, either in D or S and no throttle blip on downchanges. If you use the paddles you can't stop it downchanging from 4th as you slow down.

In the end it's the gearbox that would have tempted me to change but I found it a huge dissappointment. The other temptation is the Magnaride and I am going to scratch that itch by fitting the new Koni Special Active dampers once they become available from Steeda.

The other items don't justify the expense.

So I am sticking with my 2016. I would love to hear how V8 owners who have made the swap feel about the new car!
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
If you don't like the gearbox why you sticking with the auto???

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
The 19 is a vast improvement over my 16, build quality is a lot better, went with the manual as I was not a fan of the new auto, Rev matching is great with the manual, it has smoother gear changes as well, engine has more power, exhaust is absolutely fabulous for a stock item, as you say lights are brighter and you get working tribars :like:, I went with Recaros and they are beautiful only downside is you lost heating, but I would still choose them over standard as they are a lot more comfortable than the standard seat, as you say sync3 is a vast improvement over sync2, you also get Michelin tyres over Pirelli’s :like: as standard, I like the Magneride suspension as well, B&O is a vast improvement over the Shaker system a lot better quality sound.
All in all the best decision I ever made and you could not even pay me to go back to a 16. By the way I would buy a 19 over a 18 as you get Rev matching on a manual and the B&O system, you should also be able to find a discount on a new one if you shop around :thumbsup:

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 19 is a vast improvement over my 16, build quality is a lot better, went with the manual as I was not a fan of the new auto, Rev matching is great with the manual, it has smoother gear changes as well, engine has more power, exhaust is absolutely fabulous for a stock item, as you say lights are brighter and you get working tribars :like:, I went with Recaros and they are beautiful only downside is you lost heating, but I would still choose them over standard as they are a lot more comfortable than the standard seat, as you say sync3 is a vast improvement over sync2, you also get Michelin tyres over Pirelli’s :like: as standard, I like the Magneride suspension as well, B&O is a vast improvement over the Shaker system a lot better quality sound.
All in all the best decision I ever made and you could not even pay me to go back to a 16. By the way I would buy a 19 over a 18 as you get Rev matching on a manual and the B&O system, you should also be able to find a discount on a new one if you shop around :thumbsup:
You get Sync 3 on the 17s don't need to get the refresh. I personally don't think the improvements on the 18 are worth the extra money, although the 18 is indeed an improvement mechanically. I had the option of delaying my 17 for the 18 but when i saw the revised front end i stuck with the 17.

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Same, I prefer the retro look and I'm glad I skipped the 18, my mods give me about the same power and handling, but that rev matching on the 19 is very tempting!

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the rev matching is definitely a decent improvement

OP
OP

Afdyce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT auto
If you don't like the gearbox why you sticking with the auto???
Hello Mark, after years of only ever having a manual (including my previous two Mustangs) nerve damage in my left leg means I can't work a clutch anymore.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Hello Mark, after years of only ever having a manual (including my previous two Mustangs) nerve damage in my left leg means I can't work a clutch anymore.
You want to test drive one with a V8, they Rev match and there is quite a difference between normal and sport on the one I test drove

Sponsored
OP
OP

Afdyce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT auto
Thanks Eclipsar, I would have loved to have tried a new V8 but Avis don't offer one, only the ecoboost. This alone made it an unfair comparison, although the ecoboost stokes along well enough as long as you give it som throttle to wake the turbo. Being a renter it was light on extras and had the standard sound system so no chance to try the B&O. I totally agree about the tyres, I have changed on to them on mine and they are on a different planet to the Pirellis. Glad you are pleased with yours and I love that colour!

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorry to hear that. Makes sense to stick with the auto. If you're not happy with the autos on the Mustang you could look at similar priced cars such as a BMW M2 (great car) although you would have to put up with a BMW badge!

OP
OP

Afdyce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT auto
sorry to hear that. Makes sense to stick with the auto. If you're not happy with the autos on the Mustang you could look at similar priced cars such as a BMW M2 (great car) although you would have to put up with a BMW badge!
Hmmm, on days when I might think that what I do is worthless and that I make zero contribution to society, I comfort myself by reminding myself that there's a man in Germany who works on the production line at BMW fitting indicators.

OP
OP

Afdyce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT auto
Apparently there's one at Audi too!

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I’ve been thinking of updating to an 18 plate....

Bought this instead...

B6-F49-C28-9-E5-A-412-A-8-E63-37-FAF858-C877.jpg
Sponsored