Sponsored

Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords (MMFF, issue Oct., 2019)

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
The title of the seven page article is "First Drive The Most Radical Shelby GT350 Yet".

It has a lot of information that I didn't know (the tires are marked FP for Ford Performance), and a great interview with Billy Johnson (he helped develop the car and also drove a Ford GT at Le Mans). You should buy the magazine.

Voodoo6.jpg
Voodoo7.jpg
Voodoo8.jpg
Sponsored

dboz1983

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150, ā€˜20 GT350
In the article, the author states that the rear tires are 315/30R19. I thought the rears on a non-R were 305/35R19?

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Doc:
Thanks for sharing this... I am going to get a copy for sure.
I noticed on the "Sidebar" column on page 54, the second paragraph says "...faster on the track and safer in the raid."
1. I assume that "raid was a typo and it was supposed to say "rain".
2. How do those tires handle in the rain?
I remember you indicating that you had to drive carefully on a mountain road with no guardrails, but how is normal street driving while wet?
If possible, I do not plan on having mine in the rain, but you can't always predict southern summer rain storms.
(Still waiting on mine to be loaded onto a truck to be hauled from Hapeville, GA)

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Doc:
Thanks for sharing this... I am going to get a copy for sure.
I noticed on the "Sidebar" column on page 54, the second paragraph says "...faster on the track and safer in the raid."
1. I assume that "raid was a typo and it was supposed to say "rain".
2. How do those tires handle in the rain?
I remember you indicating that you had to drive carefully on a mountain road with no guardrails, but how is normal street driving while wet?
If possible, I do not plan on having mine in the rain, but you can't always predict southern summer rain storms.
(Still waiting on mine to be loaded onto a truck to be hauled from Hapeville, GA)
I got caught in the rain the other day, and the car handled just fine. Now, I wouldnā€™t recommend driving spirited in the rain, but running around town was fine. Honestly, cleaning the car after that was the worst part.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Good day everyone,

According to tirerack.com, it's still a 305/35ZR19. The 2019 GT350 do show an option for Pilot Sport Cup 2 and that their FP Specs. Interestingly enough, these tires are 40 dollars more expensive on the front and 10 dollars cheaper on the rear than the Cups from the 350R. I assume it's because of the wet compound support that are in these tires. According to the article there stating it handles the same as the PSS in the wet and offer the same hydroplaning prevention results. I'd say at this point, you'd be dummy to give these tires away.

Sponsored

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
In the article, the author states that the rear tires are 315/30R19. I thought the rears on a non-R were 305/35R19?
You are correct. You have a great eye for details as I missed it.

Another page:
Voodoo9.jpg

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I got caught in the rain the other day, and the car handled just fine. Now, I wouldnā€™t recommend driving spirited in the rain, but running around town was fine..
The tires may be better than other summer tires, but they may me nervous. I am not Billy Johnson. I can see the tread depth and would rather not push the limits as dp mentioned before.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
..According to tirerack.com, it's still a 305/35ZR19. The 2019 GT350 do show an option for Pilot Sport Cup 2 and that their FP Specs. Interestingly enough, these tires are 40 dollars more expensive on the front and 10 dollars cheaper on the rear than the Cups from the 350R..
I agree on the tires size. I am not worried about the cost of the replacement tires.

I did use my old tire tread depth gauge. The best number I could get on a new Cup2 tire is 6/32" when new. They are mostly 5/32" now with 1000 miles on them. The grip is awesome in warm dry conditions.

I like 34 pds of tire pressure cold which is more than the 32 #'s recommended. It feels better to me, but you have to get your own number.

I use an Auto Pro air pressure gauge, and an Automark tread depth gauge. I get the air pressure gauge checked for accuracy every ~5 years.
airgauge.JPG
tiregauge.JPG
Sponsored