Sponsored

Multimatic GT350R Mustang Testing at Watkins Glen

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
I'd like to know if Multimatic Motorsports also has been testing their Boss 302Rs this week. If not, that may be a sign that they're working hard to get the GT350Rs ready for the Watkins Glen race.
Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
And judging by the comments I am....unsubscribed #TestDay #MultiClassRacing #SadToSeeFalkenLeaveIMSA

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Top notch ....thanks for the great shots. I miss Road Atlanta trans am cars of the Tommy Kendal era ... What sounds of " 800hp " mustangs on that track. Can't wait till Multimatic starts winning again. The GT 350 looks like it was Bourne to run. Maybe the mustang could move up a notch and get in the GTLM class. Put it to those big banana yellow C7R's.
Billy Johnson can drive like no other and watch him become a real pro like Scott Pruitt.

Last edited:

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
It's possible IMSA is already looking at its performance and lap times. Sandbagging in a development season is common.

Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
They're testing. There's a reason for that. Give 'em time.

Satan

Overlord.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13' Boss.
a 458 GT3 can't even hang with a C7R so no, the Mustang will not be moving up and entering that class.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
a 458 GT3 can't even hang with a C7R so no, the Mustang will not be moving up and entering that class.
If Ford wanted the class would make room for them. The CR7 is nascar tech and that's it.

Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
If Ford wanted the class would make room for them. The CR7 is nascar tech and that's it.
The Ford GT will be running in the GTLM Class. I talked to Mike Shank at Laguna Seca and he confirmed that once the GT is running races Ford would be leaving the Prototype Class to concentrate on beating Porsche's, Vette's and Ferrari's, etc. That is why he made his deal with Honda to power his cars, the Ganassi Prototype thing is only interim until the GT is ready, and to test and tweak the 3.5EB.

I would love to see the GT350 run in the GTD Class, it would probably do well and the Voodoo would get to run less restricted I'm thinking.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Kinda....5.5 liters and based off of the ls. The nascar motor is it's own design altogether.
Yeah if you look at the NASCAR motors you can see the small block Ford Cleveland DNA. Now, I understand the newer Chivy motors are looking more and more like SBF from the 60s and 70s as Chivy tries to improve them, so I can see where someone might be confused. :)

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The Ford GT will be running in the GTLM Class. I talked to Mike Shank at Laguna Seca and he confirmed that once the GT is running races Ford would be leaving the Prototype Class to concentrate on beating Porsche's, Vette's and Ferrari's, etc. That is why he made his deal with Honda to power his cars, the Ganassi Prototype thing is only interim until the GT is ready, and to test and tweak the 3.5EB.

I would love to see the GT350 run in the GTD Class, it would probably do well and the Voodoo would get to run less restricted I'm thinking.
Good point on the Prototype being the FGT's test bed. I never really made that connection.

I think we will see the GT350R in GT/GTD eventually. I talked about the possibility of a GT350 in Rolex GT, that would be a pleasant surprise. I think the S550 will be Ford's first legitimate attempt at a factory GT class Mustang since 1966. The few times the Mustang and Corvette competed in factory skin and bones. I feel the Mustang has earned its place among the GT cars. I honestly feel the S550 was a huge step toward the GT class, a far bigger step than I anticipated.

The GT350 was just far more than I ever thought it would be. The car may just be ready for GT Class racing. I would love to see the GT350R and the Ford GT on the track together. Some nice screen savers and action shots to be had.

Once the 458 goes Turbo 6, the Mustang will have the only FPC V8 out there if I'm not mistaken. Once DI is added, the Voodoo will be a madman and there is nothing a pushrod V8 can do about it NA. As I said in the z28 assault thread a loooooong time ago, the GT350 will assume more class responsibility than the Boss. This means trial and error in the GT classes as well as a continuation of the Boss Program. I'm still not sure what Dean Martin is up to in SCCA GTS. So far it looks like a GT but not sure about anything else. I did suggest that the GT just might be capable enough to take over some of the Boss classes.

It would be nice if the SCCA GTS Mustang was the test bed for a 2017 Mustang GT-R. I have championed the return of the 2005 Mustang GTR concept for almost two years. Forget all the Mustang nameplates from the 60's and 70's. Keep it simple...

GT
GTR
GT350
GT350R
GT500
GT500KR

Streamlined and easily distinguishable whats top, bottom and in between. If the "R" is in the name anywhere, you know it's RAW.

Question is, will Ford move an EB3.5 into the lineup and into CTSC to compete with the M4? If that happens, I bet Caddy gets in there too.
Sponsored