Sponsored

Much less torque after 6000-6200 rpm normal or issue?

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I don't think the debate was due to the overall performance of the car, but if that (my car) behavior was normal, and it wasn't... but after have analyzed it, as I specified in a previous post, probably because of the high temperature and stressed clutch (it's just guessing as I have no log to analyze). The engine doesn't push up to the red line, and it couldn't (due to its nature), does it has enough power up to the limiter, of course.. it's a damn 5.0 V8 with 460hp stock, surely it doesn't stop after reaching the peak torque and power, it just perform worse.
You are not providing much info to go on. So you are saying the car will not reach redline? What gear are is this in? The car will not redline in 5th or 6th. If you are in any gear lower than 4th, redline should arrive arrive quite quickly. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in Europe, you have 3.55 final drive. With the 3.73 final drive, the car hits the speed limiter at redline (263 kph@7,400rpm), so I believe that with the 3.55, you will hit the speed limiter before the rev limiter in 4th. So you will only be able to hit redline in first to third gears, not 4th, 5th or 6th.

If none of the above applies, you should probably take it to the dealer and have then look at it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
I didn't said neither of that. As I specified in my first post (with more details in the following posts), on that day I have noticed a great drop of torque past 6200-6300 rpm: the amount of time to reach the readline from there (so yes, it was reaching the reline in 1st-2nd-3rd gears) was considerably higher than what I was expecting, to the point that shifting to the next gear was giving a better performance (acceleration) than shifting at higher rpm (as I would have expected). This didn't felt normal to me, hence I come here to ask about others experience, because I thought to have an issue.
Then I repeated the "test" the following days, and I figured that it was effectively an issue, but a temporary one, probably determined by the high temperatures (and possibly clutch abuse due to the 1 hour stuck in a traffic jam). With a much lower temperature, the car performed as I expected: the torque still come to an end (flattening) around 6000 rpm, but it isn't noticeable as it was that day, and it goes up to the redline much faster than when I experienced that issue.
While doing those "tests" I also determined that in normal conditions the best rpm spot to shift to the next gear (to obtain the best acceleration performance) is around 6800 rpm, going up to the redline will give no advantage with my gearing and wheels: you'll be slower.
Yes, I do have 3.55 drive (and 19" wheels), and yes my car hit the speed limiter in 4th before reaching the redline... but that's another story, and it is known, I was talking about the torque drop not about the limiters.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I didn't said neither of that. As I specified in my first post (with more details in the following posts), on that day I have noticed a great drop of torque past 6200-6300 rpm: the amount of time to reach the readline from there (so yes, it was reaching the reline in 1st-2nd-3rd gears) was considerably higher than what I was expecting, to the point that shifting to the next gear was giving a better performance (acceleration) than shifting at higher rpm (as I would have expected). This didn't felt normal to me, hence I come here to ask about others experience, because I thought to have an issue.
Then I repeated the "test" the following days, and I figured that it was effectively an issue, but a temporary one, probably determined by the high temperatures (and possibly clutch abuse due to the 1 hour stuck in a traffic jam). With a much lower temperature, the car performed as I expected: the torque still come to an end (flattening) around 6000 rpm, but it isn't noticeable as it was that day, and it goes up to the redline much faster than when I experienced that issue.
While doing those "tests" I also determined that in normal conditions the best rpm spot to shift to the next gear (to obtain the best acceleration performance) is around 6800 rpm, going up to the redline will give no advantage with my gearing and wheels: you'll be slower.
Yes, I do have 3.55 drive (and 19" wheels), and yes my car hit the speed limiter in 4th before reaching the redline... but that's another story, and it is known, I was talking about the torque drop not about the limiters.

The engine doesn't push up to the red line, and it couldn't
My mistake, I took that statement to mean it would not make redline.

Definitely in 1st and 2nd if you have time to think "this is taking too long, I should upshift", then there is something wrong with the car

It's possible something became overheated and the ECU reduced power until whatever was overheated cooled down. Possibly the rear diff. There are other posts on the site covering "limp mode" where the rear diff has overheated and the engine power was reduced until it cooled down.

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Ye, I just meant that after certain rpm the ramp to the redline doesn't happen with the same intensity (in normal conditions).
Yep, there was an issue due to the temperature (most probably), all solved, the car is performing great again... just returned from another fun drive. :)

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
Given that torque dictates the rate of acceleration for a given gear, what you’re saying seems fairly consistent with the dyno chart below.
As always, peak acceleration occurs at peak torque and you can even see on the dyno chart that the torque is falling off fast enough that the Hp curve flattens significantly just after 6k.
The point being that even though it’s fallen over and feels slower, the acceleration in the lower gear is still faster than the next gear because of the (approximately) 33% reduction in torque to the wheels with each shift on the 18+ MT82.

If you have the time, you can input your data into the calculator below and work out the optimal shift point per gear.

https://glennmessersmith.com/shiftpt.html

7ECCB80C-21F9-4EB9-9305-FB18B6917BF7.jpeg
I'm surprised that the torque curve is relatively flat. Usually high revving n/a motors are more peaky.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm surprised that the torque curve is relatively flat. Usually high revving n/a motors are more peaky.
Ford worked really hard to give as much power under the curve as possible. It's what makes the motor so good overall and fun.

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
Ford worked really hard to give as much power under the curve as possible. It's what makes the motor so good overall and fun.
I have no complaint about the motor. My 15 gt was dead at 6k. My only issue is the looooooong gears. My 15 had correct short gears.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have no complaint about the motor. My 15 gt was dead at 6k. My only issue is the looooooong gears. My 15 had correct short gears.
Sounds like you know which mod you need to do next! Haha. 4.09 on 18+ is similar to a 15-17 with 3.73.

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
And to confirm what happened... yesterday I was on the same road, with the same (hell of) traffic and the same (if not higher) temperature... my Bullit "died" again, the car was like hitting a limiter past 6000rpm when I had the opportunity to push it (after being stuck in the traffic for around 45 minutes). So the temperature is deffo hitting a electronic protection (i dunno if to preserve the engine or the clutch).
The car returned to its normality in the evening after a power cycle.

Sponsored
OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
Put in 4.09 gears like I did

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
On warranty for another 4 years... can't put anything. :)
LOL Ford racing gears will not void your warranty!!! I have been putting them in since 1987. Dealership installed

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
He will need the FRPP tune along with the gears
Sponsored