MT82 Trans Very "Jerky"

MRGTX

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Welcome to 2010ish. This is the biggest complaint of the MT82 and no matter how much money you throw at it, you're not going to change its inherent design and flaws. You can improve on it sure with better fluid, clutch/pedal spring and a shifter, but it is what it is.
Nice to know that I'm some kind of manual transmission savant. I've owned two MT82 (the first one built in June 2010), driven them hard (with sticky tires) and I have found them to be just fine.

No idea how I got so good at driving stick. It must be a God given gift...or maybe people are way overstating the problems with these transmissions?
Advertisement

gadgtfreek

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
I think people just like to hate on it.

EFI

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I think people just like to hate on it.
Probably because if you've experienced any other manual trans, it's pretty easy to do so. If that's all one knows, I can see how you may think it's fine. But once you driver others, especially the Shelby Tremec, you can't help but hate it.

Enzo

Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Try resetting your throttle. This helped me tremendously, and it’s something a lot of people forget to do or don’t think about doing.

Turn ACC on, but do not turn the car on.
Press the accelerator to the floor slowly for 10 seconds, and bring it back up slowly for 10 seconds.
Turn ACC off, and then turn the car on.

offroadkarter

Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I am tuned by Lund right now the rev hang doesn't seem to be the issue it just jerks me around no matter how slow and smooth I shift.
I'm also lund tuned and yes, when the car is cold shifting can be a bit abrupt. Once it warms up its fine, just something I've gotten used to but every once in a while I still drop the clutch too fast while its cold.

Do you still have the clutch pedal assist spring installed? Yank that out if so.

Rapid Red

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Nice to know that I'm some kind of manual transmission savant. I've owned two MT82 (the first one built in June 2010), driven them hard (with sticky tires) and I have found them to be just fine.

No idea how I got so good at driving stick. It must be a God given gift...or maybe people are way overstating the problems with these transmissions?
LMAO, yes it must be and there are now 2. Changing the fluids, shifter not going to help. Jerking is incorrect speed, and power at the moment of the gear change.

OP

Try this, no gas, ease out the clutch, does the RPM increase, same as an incline? Turn it off, incline assist, could be hurting your driving experience.
Clutch and gas peddle action must be in sync .

Know the car, learn the car.... driver adapts, not the other way around....

kiksbutt

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It's the stock clutch spring. Swap that bad boy out for Steeda and it's more linear to shift

shogun32

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot shift that thing smooth to save my life.
there's at least half a dozen M6G near you. Have 2 other people drive your car and let them confirm (or not) your observations.

Advertisement

173 - AWE - 1
Advertisement