MT82 Shifting Single Metal Smack Felt in shifter

bseaquist24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang V6
Just bought a 16 GT PP 30k miles and in 1-2, 2-3 it's pretty notchy and I get an occasional physical feedback like a piece metal smacks into the shifter(felt through the knob) and audible noise just once before sliding into gear.

Only way I get smooth shifts is to pull the shifter in neutral and sit there for a second until the stock rev hang feature for the next gate and it will go in like butter. If I shift from gear to gear in continuous motion in any speed slow or fast (or even wait on the stock rev hang to hold next gear RPM) will experience notchiness and the occasional physical and audible smack against the shifter.

It's 30-50 degrees out here figured that might be the cause (fluid being cold) test drove a 17 gt (non pp) at my local dealer and it shifted good with slight notchiness, but no physical bang into the shifter.

Anyone know what this is? Got 7 months left on my warranty left want to bring it in to get checked out just don't know how to describe the terminology for this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Just bought a 16 GT PP 30k miles and in 1-2, 2-3 it's pretty notchy and I get an occasional physical feedback like a piece metal smacks into the shifter(felt through the knob) and audible noise just once before sliding into gear.

Only way I get smooth shifts is to pull the shifter in neutral and sit there for a second until the stock rev hang feature for the next gate and it will go in like butter. If I shift from gear to gear in continuous motion in any speed slow or fast (or even wait on the stock rev hang to hold next gear RPM) will experience notchiness and the occasional physical and audible smack against the shifter.

It's 30-50 degrees out here figured that might be the cause (fluid being cold) test drove a 17 gt (non pp) at my local dealer and it shifted good with slight notchiness, but no physical bang into the shifter.

Anyone know what this is? Got 7 months left on my warranty left want to bring it in to get checked out just don't know how to describe the terminology for this.
Bring it in for warranty. Mt82s are notorious for problems. Get it fixed for free while you still can.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If it's only when cold, it's probably normal. You'd have to drive another car from a cold start the same day, so tranny is at the same temp, to know if you have an issue or not. If it goes away when hot, I wouldn't worry about it. It's hard to describe what you feel, but generally the 1-2 shift is described as 'notchy', and the 2-3 as a 'nibble'. Basically ALL manual trannies have that behavior at some degree when cold.

Anyway, the best way to shift our tranny, especially when cold, is to let the spring do its job, so you just have to push the shift lever forward with your palm. If you try to make the gate yourself, that's when you feel hitting the gate more. Give it a try like that. Good luck.

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I had similar to what you describe - horrible graunch going from 4th to 5th quite regularly. For me a combination of 3 mods seem to have fixed it:
Changed fluid to Motul multi DCTF, installed Boomba shifter bracket and added Powerflex transmission bushing. Result...all working properly. Not expensive and easy to do, so worth a go before going MGW or Barton or something. Mine is a 17 GT btw.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
#1 thing I hate about this car. Should have went 6R80 at the time.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bseaquist24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang V6
Where did you buy this car and what color/trim? I'm curious if this was my old car that I traded in recently.
Carvana gt pp magnetic

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I get an occasional physical feedback like a piece metal smacks into the shifter(felt through the knob) and audible noise just once before sliding into gear.
Check if there's any play between the reverse lockout collar and the shifter stick. I had this metallic noise right after installing the Steeda lockout collar. It turns out I had done something wrong. Removed it again, reinstalled it correctly, no more noises since.
Sponsored

Last edited: