Sponsored

MT82 & MT82-D4 Class Action; Case # 2:19-cv-09773 FMO(Ex)

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
2nd gear shift fork went boom and took out the countershaft. Ford got the dealer the wrong parts twice I believe. Finally they just installed a whole new gearbox.
Kinda the same here.

At 5000ish miles mine ate itself.

Shift forks and synchros. And I hadn’t even really beaten on the car yet. And I was caught up in the timeframe when so many 2018 cars were broken that the lead time for parts or whole transmissions was forever and a day.

Even though I’ve got a 2019 it was built in July 2018. I bought it in August 2018 and the trans died in March 2019.

Because of the wait time I pitched an idea where the dealer took a trans out of one of their lot 2019’s with a 2019 build date (so I knew it had the upgraded shift forks) and put it into mine. That way the donor car, and not mine, could sit there and wait 1-2 months or longer for a new transmission.

Ford approved the swap and I now have that new trans in the car. I also put in the BG fluid not too long after I got it.

It shifts and feels so much better. I could feel an immediate difference from the old one. I will get some notchy shifts from time to time but nothing too alarming.
Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
That pleading was very hard to read. The lawyers put so many different issues in each allegation that Ford should have no problem denying each and every one and calling for strict proof on each. The prayer for relief is typical ask for the moon, but there is no public policy issue; mere economic relief. At best may result in a recall. Last time I saw one of these settle the class was given a discount certificate on a new car, which only applied to the then current MY. And as mentioned, the lawyers were paid a lot. Huge waste of resources.

Zed330ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible GT
My tranny broke on a third to fourth shift on the straight away at The Ridge on track night in America last June. It blew up inside causing all sorts of noise, every dash light to come on and fourth gear was a ghost. I was able to get it home using first thru third and fith and sixth. I bought the car used with 18,000 miles on it and when the tech replaced the transmission he said the one I broke was not the stock unit from new. My car has a supercharger so I'm sure thats the reason it's on at least it's third tranny.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
My 2016 had the third gear lockout on high rpm shifts until I replaced the shifter with a Barton trans-mounted shifter. After that, the problem was much less prevalent. I wholeheartedly think that the body-mounted shifter is the problem.

Frenetic74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/performance pack
My tranny broke on a third to fourth shift on the straight away at The Ridge on track night in America last June. It blew up inside causing all sorts of noise, every dash light to come on and fourth gear was a ghost. I was able to get it home using first thru third and fith and sixth. I bought the car used with 18,000 miles on it and when the tech replaced the transmission he said the one I broke was not the stock unit from new. My car has a supercharger so I'm sure thats the reason it's on at least it's third tranny.
I blew up 6th in mine. My 2016 is supercharged too. All gears drive except 6th which is just not there anymore and there is metal rattling around inside the box. What exactly was the damage? The gear itself, fork, synchros? Just wondering if it worth rebuilding or just swapping out with a magnum xl or Calimer stage-3 MT-82

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
All this does is make the new models cost more. Class action suits are a gold mine for attorneys and a bag of coal for the participants.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
All this does is make the new models cost more. Class action suits are a gold mine for attorneys and a bag of coal for the participants.
Agreed. And the worst part of that is I'm sure A LOT of those claims are not even legitimate, meaning failures/issues were due to abuse, and not real manufacturing defects. And yes, that kind of action makes it even less appealing to keep making manual transmissions. What a shame.

And finally, I can maybe understand making a class action on the MT-82, but the D4 version it basically fixed most of the issues not long ago? That wasn't warranted at all. It's one of the best trannies I've had the pleasure to own, and I've been owning manual vehicles for over 40 years now. It's obviously not perfect, but close. And yes, you have to wait until it's at full operating temperature to really enjoy it... and ask more of it. You have to be gentle before that, and it's the same for basically all manual transmissions.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm not a fan of frivolous lawsuits, but I hope this gets some traction because I've had many of the same problems with the clutch, shifter, and transmission in my 2016 V6 Mustang.
Ford never ponied up for the V8 SHO engines that spun cams after the swedged on cam sprocket let loose, dropping the valves into the combustion chamber, which grenaded the engine. This is going to go nowhere.

M82 is a lousy transmission. It was worse in '15, It's slowly evolved in to a decent daily drive trans, but has no business in a top of the line sports car. Should come with a Tremec. Mine shifted like garbage from day 1, but didn't drive it harde enough to ever get it to fail, I am careful with my cars. Call this lawsuit- 'Beancounters Nightmare!'
A Mustang is NOT a top-of-the-line sports car, nor is it a sports car.

JR

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Agreed. And the worst part of that is I'm sure A LOT of those claims are not even legitimate, meaning failures/issues were due to abuse, and not real manufacturing defects. And yes, that kind of action makes it even less appealing to keep making manual transmissions. What a shame.

And finally, I can maybe understand making a class action on the MT-82, but the D4 version it basically fixed most of the issues not long ago? That wasn't warranted at all. It's one of the best trannies I've had the pleasure to own, and I've been owning manual vehicles for over 40 years now. It's obviously not perfect, but close. And yes, you have to wait until it's at full operating temperature to really enjoy it... and ask more of it. You have to be gentle before that, and it's the same for basically all manual transmissions.
Lol, you're in denial :crackup:
Sponsored