Sponsored

MT82 & MT82-D4 Class Action; Case # 2:19-cv-09773 FMO(Ex)

Tickitty Tock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Kona Blue
No one thinks Dodge is a beacon of reliability. No one sober that is. However he's 100% right and it probably stings to accept the truth. It was a cost savings decision by Ford. So was the Focus/Fiesta trans fiasco. Smart people make terrible decisions every day. This is one of those decisions.

What's sad is someone makes a thread to tell people to stop bitching about the trans and tick issue. If the Camaro had these people on here would be non stop about it. (They probably have their own issues) But because it's their car with the issues, they have to bury their head in the sand or deflect. If I buy a $30k car it shouldn't tick and the transmission shouldn't suck. Period. And yes, I'd complain about it. You're damn right I would. Every post.
Except this is a mustang forum. Maybe you simply had bad luck. Nothing is ever 100%. That doesn’t mean Ford made a mistake. And 30k is a bargain for the performance you get. If it was 100k sports car then you might have a point
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
No one thinks Dodge is a beacon of reliability. No one sober that is. However he's 100% right and it probably stings to accept the truth. It was a cost savings decision by Ford. So was the Focus/Fiesta trans fiasco. Smart people make terrible decisions every day. This is one of those decisions.

What's sad is someone makes a thread to tell people to stop bitching about the trans and tick issue. If the Camaro had these people on here would be non stop about it. (They probably have their own issues) But because it's their car with the issues, they have to bury their head in the sand or deflect. If I buy a $30k car it shouldn't tick and the transmission shouldn't suck. Period. And yes, I'd complain about it. You're damn right I would. Every post.
Want to hear some "noisy" engines, listen to a 911. Not sure if it is funny or sad how people complain of ticks and rattles on this site when you can hear all kinds of sounds from almost any engine. I would guess that some of the complainers would also have an issue with EV's making very little noise and not like them because of the lack of noise. Strange right?

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It was a cost savings decision by Ford. So was the Smart people make terrible decisions every day.
no, *bean-counters* routinely make terrible decisions every day. They think one number is equivalent as another other number, and that the real world side effect has no more impact than the exertion of updating a cell in a spreadsheet. After all the lawyers are sitting at the bottom of the ocean, the bean-counters need to join the party.
If the Camaro had these people on here would be non stop about it. (They probably have their own issues)
Those of us with Tremec-equipped Camaros don't mind GM's choice of supplier one bit! The more I drive both the GT and SS, the more I come away with the impression GM engineers are better at fundamentals and physics - the hard engineering. Ford gets cosmetics, the soft engineering right. Not to say the Coyote in finally it's 3rd iteration isn't a gem. Is Ford taking cues from Microsoft (their 'sync' supplier of yore) that it takes 3 iterations to figure out how to make a really good product?

Sponsored

DymondBack537

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dymond
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 5.0 PP2 1966 Mustang Sprint 200
In my 2012 5.0 I had about 12,000 miles on the car, then one day out of the blue it started having problems going from 2nd-3rd. It would some times completely miss 3rd gear/not engage. Additionally when starting from a stop the transmission would make a horrible "grinding" (lack of a better word) going into second. Since my folks and myself have bought several vehicles from the same dealer, they replaced 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears in my trans without any hassle and classified it as a warranty fix. Never had any issues after that.

With my 2019 PP2 I only have 1600 miles on the car since last August. (Knocking on wood - my head) that I don't have any problems with the trans this go around.

While I still had my 2012 I was looking into replacing the stock shifter for a short-throw one. (There are a plenty of ones out there, in all prices and variants). But the one common factor in all of them I noticed, the new replacement shifters replaced the part that helps the actual shifter differentiate between the gears. The factory/OEM Ford part looks like it's held on by zip-ties when its taken apart. While I never took mine apart, I can't speak from experience, but what I've seen (through YouTube) it all seemed like the common factor causing problems.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
My Camaro has a Tremec because GM (and Dodge) didn't cheap out with chinese-made crap to save a few bucks.
Wait? What? Getrag Ford transmission were produced in COLOGNE France, HALEWOOD England, BORDEAUX France, or SANAND India. BTW, Chrysler HEMI engines are made in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico. Make sure yours wasn't produced on Taco Tuesday haha.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Wait? What? Getrag Ford transmission were produced in COLOGNE France, HALEWOOD England, BORDEAUX France, or SANAND India. BTW, Chrysler HEMI engines are made in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico. Make sure yours wasn't produced on Taco Tuesday haha.
I thought it was well established that the MT-82's found in Mustangs are made in China? https://jalopnik.com/faulty-chinese-built-transmissions-plague-new-ford-must-5792482

I think the ones made in England were for Transit vans and Land Rovers.

I also wouldn't point fingers at FCA for building engines in Mexico then note Getrag builds gearboxes in India, India builds the Ecosport and is by far the biggest shit box you can find on a Ford dealer lot today.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
There was a notice in the manual of my 2019 PP2 that the transmission was made in China.
It made me sad. I'm pretty sure my wheels were made in China too.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure my wheels were made in China too.
the PP1 wheels are at least. If it doesn't say, you can bet it was made in China. It's just beyond reprehensible the sheer millions of jobs stolen by so-called American firms only to give them to our #1 enemy/rival.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
the PP1 wheels are at least. If it doesn't say, you can bet it was made in China. It's just beyond reprehensible the sheer millions of jobs stolen by so-called American firms only to give them to our #1 enemy/rival.
Agree with you 100%. Out of the many things Covid-19 is teaching us, it should be showing how many things are made in China that we should be making in the US. Would like to see everything made here, but at least the medical supply stuff. I hope a trend is started to pull things back. Cheap is cheap and all good in some ways, but when people are dying because we can't make the stuff to keep them alive, the line needs to be drawn. We used to be the manufacturing center of the world and now we can barely make a ventilator or a PPE mask.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I thought it was well established that the MT-82's found in Mustangs are made in China?
I looked and looked and couldn't find any reference of the MT82 transmissions in 15-17 Mustangs were produced in China. Maybe the S197's MT82's were. The 18+ aren't getrag anymore, they're called Magna PT.

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
M82 is a lousy transmission. It was worse in '15, It's slowly evolved in to a decent daily drive trans, but has no business in a top of the line sports car. Should come with a Tremec. Mine shifted like garbage from day 1, but didn't drive it harde enough to ever get it to fail, I am careful with my cars. Call this lawsuit- 'Beancounters Nightmare!'

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
My '16 PP1 car is only used on track, has been extensively improved for track work. While the MT-82 isn't fabulous, it is way better than the version that was in my '11 Brembo GT. I found the shifting with the stock shifter improved about 1000% when I put BMR motor mounts and a trans mount insert in. Seemed to take all the slop out of the shifter because the engine/trans were not moving around so much. I doubt I would ever spend the money on a Tremec swap, probably just a Calimer stage 2 or 3 rebuild would be more cost effective and live as long to boot.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
I’ve had absolutely no issues with my MT-82 and think it feels great. I think it is very smooth and easy to shift. The only change I made was the Steeda clutch spring which I think made a big difference... now Couldn't be happier with the manual transmission setup.
Sponsored