Mt82-d4 nibble right off dealer lot?

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
Like to ask if anyone has purchased a brand new 18 through 20 mustang with synchro nibble right out the dealer lot. Going into 3rd is where I get it.
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
MT82 has lots of problems, especially cold shifting, both the early ones and the newer ones with the strange ratios. They changed ratios but didn't seem to address the more important problems.

Try some different fluid, I found the BG stuff smoothed out a lot of those problems. Some folks swear by RedLine as well. 3rd gear syncro is often bad cold, mine is, and I lost 5th gear syncro totally this fall. It's a track day only car and I expected that would happen eventually. I think 5th was caused by a bad clutch, which has been replaced with an Exedy and the trans is getting rebuilt with a Syncrotech carbon kit this winter.

Jessekf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Upgrading the clutch and putting in a shifter like the MGW X-Spec would help big time.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
... my '21 does not exhibit any of this when warm, and only mild "nibble" when cold (almost every manual car I've owned will do this when cold - I would say that is normal).

The '21 has never locked out a shift, shifts reasonably well... I wonder if any significant change happened?

Sponsored

allicedout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hem
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
My 2011 would nibble in cold spring or fall weather, never winter drove it, my 2021 seems quite smooth but it is warmer weather out and I don't plan to drive it in late fall or early spring.. However I can't see much difference in characteristics between the 2011 and 2021 MT-82.

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I haven't read too much in regards to the "nibble" everyone is talking about but will say that my car has had a weird rattle/noise from day one (2019 GT). not sure if it's related or not but my car is currently at the dealer having either the clutch or trans replaced under warranty. I'm curious if the rattle/noise is still there when I get it back.

Took the dealership's master tech for a ride a few weeks after purchasing the car to show him the rattle/noise it was making. Replicated the sound at will for him and he said he could hear it but there wasn't any TSB's etc for that. Told me to drive on and if it gets louder or causes an issue to bring it in again.

OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
Nibble not the same as a rattle. Said nibble you feel through the shifter not necessarily audible.
If Ford is willing to address it then it must be something.
Was this a resale?

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ahh ok, I think i know what you're talking about now as I have felt that a few times when car is cold.
No resale, I bought the car brand new at Kitchener Ford. Already had my Evap purge, passenger side axle and now a clutch/trans covered under warranty. Hope you have better luck!

OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
Ahh ok, I think i know what you're talking about now as I have felt that a few times when car is cold.
No resale, I bought the car brand new at Kitchener Ford. Already had my Evap purge, passenger side axle and now a clutch/trans covered under warranty. Hope you have better luck!
Funny, the 2020 gt I have was dealer traded from Kitchener Ford.
I haven't needed to bring it back for warranty however between the engine noise from under the DI pump and trans nibble I haven't been able to fully enjoy it yet. I've owned it for a year. No winter of course. Bought new and now has 5000kms.

Sponsored

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Well if it’s any solace, mine has just shy of 69,000 kms. Had the bbq tick since my first oil change. I switched to Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic. Hasn’t gotten worse over time but definitely annoying in drive thru’s etc.
This is the first Ford I’ve owned so I opted for the Ford premium care comprehensive warranty out to 120,000...sure glad I did now.

OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
Well if it’s any solace, mine has just shy of 69,000 kms. Had the bbq tick since my first oil change. I switched to Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic. Hasn’t gotten worse over time but definitely annoying in drive thru’s etc.
This is the first Ford I’ve owned so I opted for the Ford premium care comprehensive warranty out to 120,000...sure glad I did now.
Wow, your kms are more than I'd expect based on the year and how little most people in Canada drive theirs.
I don't have the BBQ tick. It has ticks as it warms up but not of a concerning nature.
I've got what is described in the Tsb 20-2023 the diesel knock. It's brief shortly after start up then sounds perfect at operating temp.
I own other Ford products without issue this is my first brand new car so my expectations were very high and now I've had to compromise my standards on said two issues.
Love to know what ends up being the issue with your trans.
Throw out bearing maybe?
Thanks for the info, good to hear from people that drive their mustangs.
Most of the people I know are Sunday drivers.
I daily mine.

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I originally purchased the car to serve as a work vehicle. At the time I was a territory sales manager and used the car daily to do my dealer calls all over SW Ontario and Michigan. I now sell John Deere equipment out of a bricks and mortar store so the Mustang has transitioned to a weekend toy.
Sponsored