Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
Removed stock shifter, replaced it with MGW X-Spec, short handle, classic 8-ball style knob. Also replaced stock clutch spring and perch with Steeda spring and perch.
Thank you Ronster. Did you do the work yourself, or have a shop do it? If I may ask, what did it cost you?
Sponsored

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What does anyone expect to gain from any such MT82 suit?
  • Ford isn't going to give out brand new MT82 transmissions
  • They're not going to warranty out any existing MT82's and replace with new
  • They're not going to "upgrade" the trans internals
  • They're not going to offer to buy back the vehicle
  • They're not going to upgrade the trans to a TREMEC
  • You're not going to get some huge payout
The reason they won't do any of the above is because the problems outlined in any of the complaints don't affect ALL MT82's as much as anyone wants to make it out to be or believe.... and there's no NHTSA ruling for safety concerns.

Those who have an S550 w/MT82 and still with the new car warranty (3/36) in place will be the ones best equipped to do a Lemon or Buy Back with Ford only IF their facts/claims meet their Home State Laws and Provisions for a Lemon/Buy Back. That would be the claim has to be filed in a certain time period from the original date of purchase, if the car has been inop 30-consecutive days OR 30-days total in a year, or if the repair has been done 3x and it's still not right.

So what (if any) end result or gain is expected from ANY MT82 lawsuit? Class Action plaintiffs are lucky to even see a check, debit card or any rebate in excess of $20 (if that) most of the time...

Want an ice cream? That's about the worth of a Class Action suit, and that's without a cone... 🤣

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I don't get all the huffy whining about the MT82 anyway. It runs and shifts fine, far better than any of the old T5 derivatives that we used to have in the Mustang. It'll work fine for anything up to hard use short of outright abuse if you can drive like a half decent driver. Just because there is better available doesn't mean it's bad. It'll blow up above 700HP or so, so what? So will most others.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Any folks wonder why Manuals are going away in most vehicles. A part fails that the oem has no control on how the driver uses it, Did they know how to shift, did they think they were Ronnie Sox, did they dump the clutch at 5000rpm, did they miss a shift, did they dump it into 2nd instead of 4th.
All this will do is pad the law firms pockets and give the OEM's yet another reason to close the book on a manual shift transmission in their cars.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I don't get all the huffy whining about the MT82 anyway. It runs and shifts fine, far better than any of the old T5 derivatives that we used to have in the Mustang. It'll work fine for anything up to hard use short of outright abuse if you can drive like a half decent driver. Just because there is better available doesn't mean it's bad. It'll blow up above 700HP or so, so what? So will most others.
Do all the complaints revolve around early 2018 MT82s anyway, with some sort of aluminum shift fork, corrected in late 2019?

My '21 shifts fine under all conditions...

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Do all the complaints revolve around early 2018 MT82s anyway, with some sort of aluminum shift fork, corrected in late 2019?

My '21 shifts fine under all conditions...
It has a checkered history of complaints from before it was even introduced once people found out it was made in China. The only substantiated claims I can think of have been the early remote mount shifter locking out gears at high RPM and the shift forks on the early D4s that you mentioned. Both have been addressed.

josh83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Chevrolet Colorado LTZ
Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some advice. I have a 2013 GT with 90k miles and I can't even get it to shift past 2nd gear (it makes a horrible grinding noise and pops out most of the time). Same thing for 4th - 6th but reverse still works fine. I've already priced a remanufactured MT82 here, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=MT82, but don't want to pull the trigger on anything till I know for sure if I can get it replaced by the dealer or not. With it being a 2013 and having 90k miles normally I wouldn't think it possible for a dealer to fix it since it's not technically under warranty but with this lawsuit maybe that's changed? I don't know and that's what I want answers too.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
It has a checkered history of complaints from before it was even introduced once people found out it was made in China. The only substantiated claims I can think of have been the early remote mount shifter locking out gears at high RPM and the shift forks on the early D4s that you mentioned. Both have been addressed.
To be fair, my ‘22 locked out of gears under high load when new. I didn’t really get on it until after 3k miles. Crossmember insert and shifter bushing replacement seems to have fixed it with negligible NVH.

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
This thread cracked me up, dude has a heavily modded 6 yr old car that 'may' have an issue, and he wants to sue Ford based on a telemarketing call.

Emblematic of today's society

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some advice. I have a 2013 GT with 90k miles and I can't even get it to shift past 2nd gear (it makes a horrible grinding noise and pops out most of the time). Same thing for 4th - 6th but reverse still works fine. I've already priced a remanufactured MT82 here, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=MT82, but don't want to pull the trigger on anything till I know for sure if I can get it replaced by the dealer or not. With it being a 2013 and having 90k miles normally I wouldn't think it possible for a dealer to fix it since it's not technically under warranty but with this lawsuit maybe that's changed? I don't know and that's what I want answers too.
There is no lawsuit without a duty by a party to fulfill an agreement and some demonstratable injury due to negligence to uphold that duty. You have a blown transmission with no proof that it is due to defects in workmanship or design. The number of perfectly functional MT82s in the world is in the millions. Ford has no duty to repair a 9 year old car with 90K miles on it. I'd say your chances run somewhere near zero.
Sponsored