MT-82 vibration after new clutch and rebuild

GrayStangs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 1969 Mustang FB Restomod
Have a 18 GT PP 27K miles that started having clutch issues after some hard driving. Would not go into reverse, bad vibration and tough to shift into 1st and 2nd. Ford dealership covered it under warranty. They said some fingers on pressure plate come off and messed up clutch and alum housing. They replaced reverse gear and several other parts in transmission....said they basically rebuilt the transmission. Case was gouged and replaced part of it as well. Took 3 weeks to get all of the parts and the repair done.

Took the car on an easy drive yesterday to break in the clutch...about 400 miles with a lot of stop and go driving. Noticed there was a vibration that was coming through the shifter and increased with higher RPMs. I don't recall it having vibration in the shifter or clutch pedal before the issues. Took it for a spirited drive this morning and noticed the vibration was coming through the clutch pedal as well as shifter. The higher the rpm, the worse the vibration was. Push the clutch in and coast and the vibration goes away so definitely related to the new clutch. A little more spirited driving and the engine light started blinking. Took it back to ford and dropped it off.

Really looking for feedback from others if you experience any vibration through your clutch pedal or shifter like I am describing?
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Really looking for feedback from others if you experience any vibration through your clutch pedal or shifter like I am describing?
I changed my clutch with Exedy OEM replacement and now I have a vibration on downshifts through clutch pedal. Very annoying still in break in phase so can't say if it will be worse in high rpms (over 5000). If you are getting CEL then might be your crank position is wrong so you need to do crank relearn especially if you changed flywheel with something lighter.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Better keep an eye on it. Driveline vibration is never good, and if it’s in any way tied to the clutch assembly, it can actually wipe out the main bearings in the engine.

OP
OP

GrayStangs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
It was all replaced under warranty by dealership. Took it back to them and they agree it is not correct. They are tearing it back apart today.

Tech did the crank relearn after I took it back to them. CEL was gone on the next test drive.

Thanks for the feedback.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It was all replaced under warranty by dealership. Took it back to them and they agree it is not correct. They are tearing it back apart today.

Tech did the crank relearn after I took it back to them. CEL was gone on the next test drive.

Thanks for the feedback.
Any news on this one my CEL start blinking as well guess crank relearn is on the cards for me as well.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I had a clutch pedal vibe when depressing at 1500 rpms when shifting. If I'm idle and rev up to that range my clutch pedal comes alive... nothing before and goes away around 1800 rpms. Been like that for 2.5 years.

This was after a warranty replacement of my tranny and a new oem clutch install. I have gotten use to it and waiting for it to self diagnose eventually..haha

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a clutch pedal vibe when depressing at 1500 rpms when shifting. If I'm idle and rev up to that range my clutch pedal comes alive... nothing before and goes away around 1800 rpms. Been like that for 2.5 years.

This was after a warranty replacement of my tranny and a new oem clutch install. I have gotten use to it and waiting for it to self diagnose eventually..haha
safe to say if it didn't by now it probably will not self diagnose. My CEL issues seams solved after Crank Relearn and my vibration in the clutch is less as well. I consider that a win.

OP
OP

GrayStangs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Any news on this one my CEL start blinking as well guess crank relearn is on the cards for me as well.
dealer still has the car. Staff shortages causing delays. May look at taking to another dealer though another dealer likely would not want to fix another dealer’s warranty repair. Not sure how Ford would handle that.

dealer service manager agreed that it should not have the vibration. Crank sensor relearn did not solve it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GrayStangs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)

this vibration gets worse as the rpms go up. Around 4-5k it is noticeable in the shifter, clutch pedal and driver floor below gas pedal. I test drove another car and it had no vibration at all. It is warranty replacement so want this all documented at dealer in case they can’t fix it and it performs a self diagnosis later.
Sponsored