Sponsored

MT-82 owners, what if Tremec is offered in 2021MY?

OP
OP
Obsidian

Obsidian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 White
No it wouldn't make a difference whether ford puts a tremec or a getrag, Either one they will use is going to be the cheapest and shitties version that meets tech specs for the platform.

Take a look at the mach 1 and the trans it is getting then compare that to a getrage mt-82 d4
What exactly was their remedy to fix the shift forks problem? That was pretty much a one year issue right? I know ford wouldn't put top of the line tech in mass production cars, otherwise it would eat at their bottom dollar.
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Maybe the fact that I see less fuel economy than you (my best is 25 HWY) is because I have the gearing differences due to the PP2 smaller tires (effectively the 3.73 is really a 3.94).

Might also be a NY thing :) .

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What exactly was their remedy to fix the shift forks problem?
different (thicker) dimensions on the fork legs I believe. Some engineer got too cute with the material optimization step.
I get 21.3mpg on the GT (93 octane) and 23.5mpg on the 2.3EB (93+E85 in E30 mix). Haven't checked what the 3.5EB logs.

Last edited:

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
What exactly was their remedy to fix the shift forks problem? That was pretty much a one year issue right? I know ford wouldn't put top of the line tech in mass production cars, otherwise it would eat at their bottom dollar.
IIRC it was slightly stronger shift forks used in the new manuals.

OP
OP
Obsidian

Obsidian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 White
different (thicker) dimensions on the fork legs I believe. Some engineer got too cute with the material optimization step.
I get 21.3mpg on the GT (93 octane) and 23.5mpg on the 2.3EB (93+E85 in E30 mix). Haven't checked what the 3.5EB logs.
I'm sure someone got an earful for that.

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
No. That wouldn't be enough to make me trade it in.

Although my car has already blown one MT-82 I will just upgrade on my own to a Tremec or Calimer once I get the RWHP into the 800-1000 range.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Yep...the ones in the 2018 build years were anemic looking. They beefed them up. I have a pic in my phone that I will post in a bit showing the comparison.

When mine died back in March of 2019 I ended up having them take a trans out of a car on the lot and put it in mine. I made sure they gave me a 2019 built trans and they did. Otherwise the wait for parts or a new trans would have been months bc so many people were having issues.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Reportedly, the weak link is the crappy welds. If you do full welds, they're pretty sturdy. That's what I heard on a video of a shop that specializes on beefing up those transmissions. He also said just doing that, and getting rid of all the plastic parts is more than enough for stock and near stock power levels.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I really don't understand why Ford thinks their Mustang buyers prefer a couple mpg over better performance. Dumb. Save the fuel economy gearing BS for the base Fiesta, ECOsport or whatever other cars people who care about fuel economy buy. I'd much rather pay a gas guzzler tax than have my Mustang neutered.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
If Ford puts a Tremec in all 2021 M6 GTs I will sue for emotional distress and demand that they pay for a lifetime of psychotherapy.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I agree with Hack, I would happily pay a gas guzzler tax if Ford put a 4.09 or 4.56 rear gear in the High Performance Mustangs.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I dind't do a fully scientific study but it seemed that at a given highway speed (65mph) using cruise control, the MPG was a couple ticks better in 5th gear vs 6th. This would be because more throttle was needed in 6th to maintain speed. I would have likely preferred just 1 OD on the MT82D4 and it being a ratio somewhere between 5th and 6th as delivered.
The two overdrives works better on this side of the country where the speed limits are a lot higher. At 80mph, 6th gear turns at like 2,300 RPM which is the sweet spot for economy. At lower speeds, 6th's RPM is just too low and it lugs the engine a little bit which hurts the economy. 5th gear for me is the hill climb gear, because it ticks closer to 3,000 where the engine can easily defeat any grade without feeling like it's being lugged.

OP
OP
Obsidian

Obsidian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 White
I really don't understand why Ford thinks their Mustang buyers prefer a couple mpg over better performance. Dumb. Save the fuel economy gearing BS for the base Fiesta, ECOsport or whatever other cars people who care about fuel economy buy. I'd much rather pay a gas guzzler tax than have my Mustang neutered.
Its all board politics and stockholders.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Its all board politics and stockholders.
I guess if it's politics that could explain it. If someone wanted to kill the Mustang, making it less fun and less reliable are steps you would want to take towards reducing sales.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I really don't understand why Ford thinks their Mustang buyers prefer a couple mpg over better performance. Dumb.
It's not what Ford thinks about their buyers. The Mustang engine team wanted more HP & torque. Management said fine but we cannot afford for our corporate mileage numbers to go up. So they got their engine improvement and we got reshuffled gear ratios. The gas guzzler tax really doesn't factor into this. After all the BS about the power in the Mach 1 I guessing they feel they did the right thing.
Sponsored