MT '19 Car of the Year Nomination

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by McGruder, Nov 6, 2018.

1. McGruder

McGruder Member

Vehicle(s):
    Will be in market for '19 Bullitt or GT w/ 10spd
    0   0   0
    https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2019/ford-mustang-2019-car-of-the-year-contender/

Some kind words to be sure. Otherwise the article offers some fairly harsh commentary. Looks like they tested a convertable 5.0 and a Bullitt.

Some notable MT criticism:

"WE DON'T LIKE How it handles, price-value equation"

"On the winding track, the Mustangs fell apart with poor body control and a rear end that has a mind of its own."

Concerning the Bullitt:

"the ride on this car is just so awful," Christian Seabaugh said. "It's choppy and rough, even on perfectly smooth pavement."

What are your thoughts on some of their criticism?

I've heard elsewhere that magneride can make for a pretty smooth ride so I'm a bit surprised by the last comment. Of course I'm assuming they tested the Bullitt with that. I don't know for certain that this was the case.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2019/ford-mustang-2019-car-of-the-year-contender/

2. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    They're not entirely wrong about the handling when you really push it on track, at least stock. That subframe moves around so much, and it offers pretty poor geometric control with all the compliance in the toe link and RLCA. It needs more damping too, but a lot of it is that subframe free-wheelin'.

3. bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt Oh boy

First Name:
    BigD
    Vehicle(s):
    Boosted 2015 GT Premium.
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Anyone else notice. MT refuses to test a 10 speed auto?

EcoVert likes this.
  4. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Well, it is Chevytrend.

5. BrettT

BrettT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
    0   0   0
    Again, can't say if the MT Bullitt had base suspension, but I can say my Bullitt with Magneride is nothing like he described. I've pushed mine fairly hard on some tight, technical and rough country roads, and was very impressed with it's handling for the size of car it is.... You have to question where his head was.....

6. 2018OFPP1?2

2018OFPP1?2 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Walt
    Vehicle(s):
    '92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
    0   0   0
    MT obviously stands for Moronic Tripe now.

How can a car be choppy and rough on a perfectly smooth road? Is he saying the car has actuators to make it bounce on a smooth road? That moron should have been summarily dismissed for turning in that statement.

7. 15GTCA

15GTCA Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Magnetic 2015 GT A6
    0   0   0
    Motend, has been traditionally against Fords and pro Chevy for a long time now. It really seems that they will not give Ford any positive reviews. I'm just sayin...

8. cosmo

cosmo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2005 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Yeah, as seen by the GT350R victories over the Z28, ZL1, and SS1LE from Motortrend.

Zitrosounds and Xavier like this.
  9. Freedom

Freedom Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 White GT Premium Auto
    0   0   0
    Yeah Jason cammisa and the the curly haired gentlemen. Haven’t seen a proper MT video on YouTube since the purchase. Do they still work there?

10. EcoVert

EcoVert Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost convertible
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    M T has always been a piece of shit magazine import and gm cars are the only cars they'll say are any good. I guess with camaro sales so bad they'll say or do anything to try and hurt Mustang sales.

chevyesunamierda likes this.
  11. Fatguy

Fatguy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 V6 Mustang
    0   0   0
    Guys, it’s a competition for car of the year.

So they are going to be super critical as they will be comparing it to other countenders. Anyway I think the Mustang would fair better if it was not so expensive. All the Mustang criticisms could be blissfully accepted if the price was right.

Like it or not they are a respected publication. They obviously don’t have halos over their heads but R&T, C&D and Motor Trend have been around for many decades. How can you lie about a car going into limp mode before circling the track twice? There is no subjective evaluation there, it was a fact!

But like I said the car is too expensive and those two are nipping at the heals of a Corvette Stingray. At a lower price point the car would have done way better and more things would have been forgivable. Read the final sentences and you will see it’s the price for what you get that became the car’s undoing. And they are right as the car is expensive for what it is, and many here have said the same thing.

12. Fatguy

Fatguy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 V6 Mustang
    0   0   0
    The convertible was a 10 speed auto...

13. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
    0   0   0
    Oh no they said something negative about the Mustang, it can't be right :facepalm:
    Just watch the Corvette ZR1 Ignition episode and tell me how they can be GM fanboys...

Read the other car of the year contender articles, they are just trying to point out differences betweens the cars and some flaws. The important part is this:
    "Switch everything off, and both cars are very hard to balance, very easy to spin"
    I don't know how the experience of other customers is, but imho the Mustang is pretty loose on the rear compared to other RWD cars.

I don't know the specific build of the covertible they drove, but without PP1 the base GT definitely has not a good ride for corners.

Alej likes this.
  14. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350
    0   0   0
    That really surprises me, as I feel that my GT350 is balanced way too far toward understeer and has great rear grip coming out of corners. I would have thought the Bullitt would behave similarly.

I never switch everything off, though. Not sure why I would want to. IMO the Mustang drives great on the track even in normal or sport mode. But I'm not burning tires and sliding tail out around corners at the track. I'm trying to be smooth and fast.

15. ihc95

ihc95 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GTPP A10 401A
    0   0   0
  16. VinnAY

VinnAY Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
    0   0   0
    By my experience with my 15, they're right. That IRS and its subframe mounting is just awful. I had to put at least a Grand under there is Steeda bits to make it perform. And yes even on some otherwise smooth pavement the rear end would bob up and down with the poor damping and rebound.

Blue Horse and drabon74 like this.
  17. raydog1

raydog1 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT A10
    0   0   0
    “Mark Rechtin had the convertible collapse into limp-home mode in less than two laps of the circuit.”

That’s just embarrassing. Not a good look for Ford or the Mustang no matter the bias of the publication.

Blue Horse likes this.
  18. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I really don't understand the comments on the price of the car. Really, tell me another car out there other than the Camaro that will give you this kind of performance while also having a quality interior for less than $50k

EcoVert, Twin Turbo and Ace like this.
  19. thehunterooo

thehunterooo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT
    0   0   0
    You can get a SS 1LE for under 40k brand new that’s why!

Zitrosounds, Alej and Coyote Red like this.
  20. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
    0   0   0
    MSRP for 1SS 1LE and Base GT PP2 are both around $45, not under $40k. But it's kind of funny how most people say the 2016 Camaro was too expensive, but now that the Mustang increased the pricing to a similiar level the understanding that $50k is a lot of money for a car is gone.

Absolutely agree, a Golf R does not have a better interior. Of course you can't compare it to premium brands.

jake_zx2 likes this.