700 Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
So I normally do not write these kinds of posts, but after multiple interactions with MRT and attempting to come to a resolution, and being treated like an idiot I feel it is necessary to warn others. I first purchased MRT hood struts from Lethal back in January 2015. Right after I installed the hood struts I noticed there was a gap on both sides and the hood sat a bit high. So I immediately called MRT and they assured me that this was normal. So I tried to realign the hood struts a few times and still had the same results, the hood sat high. Now I have owned previous Mustangs and have bought MRT hood struts before and never had an issue. So probably about a month and a half ago I found out that MRT had redesigned the hood struts for better fitment and when I called their tech support I was told that the hood struts were redesigned due to fitment issues.

So they issued me a replacement order and since it was around Thanksgiving they gave me the race red ones without having to pay the extra money, which I did not ask for but was thankful for. I asked for the race red and was willing to pay the difference. So I received these hood struts and installed them and still had fitment issues. The hood still sat high. Now I know another member on here who had this same issue and even had his battery cover damaged from the hood strut rubbing on it. My battery cover also had an issue with the hood strut rubbing on it but it did not cause significant damage to the cover. So I called MRT back and informed them that the hood struts still do not fit properly, that there is still a gap. I have personally seen two other S550's with the MRT hood struts and they have the same issues as mine, while Redlines do not have this issue. So MRT told me that since they were a custom product that they could not be returned, understandable. I was then told they would try to do something for me and would call me back. I was called back, but missed the call and returned the call immediately after missing it, but got nobody due to it being around Christmas time. As of today I still did not receive a call back until I called them back today. I was basically told that I have no idea how to install hood struts and she even went so far as to tell me that the original hood struts still fit. :shrug: When I questioned her as to why there was a redesign I was simply told that because they thought they could make them better. Okay then, but apparently the techs are giving out wrong information then when they say the redesign was due to "fitment issues." I was told by the supervisor that in order to get the hood struts to fit better I would have to "tinker" with the hood. Nowhere in the instructions does it say anything about tinkering with the hood, just to make sure everything is lined up.

The MRT hood struts are an extremely poor design, using the rear fender bolt, which strip very easily and the height of the hood looks a little awkward in comparison to other hood struts. So basically I am warning anyone who is interested in hood struts that you "may" have an issue with the fitment on these. I say "may" because MRT sells hundreds of these so it must be me not knowing what I am doing. Their words of course.

Well I just installed the Redlines today and they fit great with no gap issues. Yup it's definitely an installer issue. Mods if I have posted this in the wrong area feel free to move it to the correct area, I just wanted to share my experience with a company that I used to have more respect for.

Mike
Sponsored

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
I think I will just stick with the hood Prop Rod. Thank you for helping me not be disappointed and frustrated, as this middle aged guy has got zero time for that.
Same. The struts are cool n all but they are just that...Not worried about struttin struts.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Having had redlines on my previous car I was familiar with their quality and I'm still not disappointed. I spend a lot of time under the hood, so the struts are a nice addition, and they look great at shows!

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
A prop rod isn't that hard or hat big a deal. If you go to car shows a lot maybe but it mostly as waste of money.

Sponsored

OP
OP
V8Venom

V8Venom

700 Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
I think I will just stick with the hood Prop Rod. Thank you for helping me not be disappointed and frustrated, as this middle aged guy has got zero time for that.
Understandable, but the Redlines are a super easy install.

Having had redlines on my previous car I was familiar with their quality and I'm still not disappointed. I spend a lot of time under the hood, so the struts are a nice addition, and they look great at shows!
I couldn't agree more. I was turned away by the drilling portion at first, but after doing it, the install was super easy.

OP
OP
V8Venom

V8Venom

700 Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
A prop rod isn't that hard or hat big a deal. If you go to car shows a lot maybe but it mostly as waste of money.
Personally I think the cars should come from the factory with hood struts. I think aesthetically a hood prop is really ugly but to each his own.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Does everyone's hood prop get _super_ hot? Holy smokes, when I went to a show several weeks ago, I was idling for a while, then creeping around to my spot (so that might have contributed), but the prop rod was too hot to touch.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Personally I think the cars should come from the factory with hood struts. I think aesthetically a hood prop is really ugly but to each his own.
Yes, factory hood struts.
Yes, to each his own...I think $100+ and an hours time is ugly too though.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Does everyone's hood prop get _super_ hot? Holy smokes, when I went to a show several weeks ago, I was idling for a while, then creeping around to my spot (so that might have contributed), but the prop rod was too hot to touch.
Yes. Not like burning hot though.

Sponsored

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
Very sorry to hear about your bad experience, Mike. I got MRT as well but luckily, I haven't had any of the issues you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Interesting. I had Redline on my Acura, perfect fit, Redline on my Escape, had issues, with nor response when I emailed Redline. I ordered a set of Redline's that arrive Wednesday, but my car doesn't arrive for 10 more weeks.

wagnor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sorry to hear about your experience. I had no issue with my set that were installed in March 2015. Appreciate the negative and positive feedback with all products.