Sponsored

MPG. Why are so many people obsessed with it?

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
LOL yes I have seen people I know drive around for 10 mins looking for cheaper gas. to only save 25 cents, which they spend more driving and looking, to then go into the store and buy 40 bucks worth of scratch off tickets that were loosers and they threw in trash. the obsessing with gas is as you said bizarre. And im just why the waste of time driving around for "cheaper " gas to save 25 cents just to piss away 40 bucks.
Ok so here we buy litres (3.78 L to a US gallon).
I've seen on the main drag here in town, one gas station is $110.8/L and the other 2 are $111.5/L.....and the station with the lower price is backed up half a mile lol...over .7 of a penny!! Crazy!
Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Just to chime in here I don't obsess over my gas mileage but I do track it. Mostly because I like data and I am curious how my patterns change over time and during the seasons. I just throw it into excel with some built in formulas and look at if I am interested to see how it did during the winter or anything along those lines. It also lets me track gas prices in my area to see how they change over time. Like I said, more of a curiosity for me since I knew exactly what I was buying when I picked the V8.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Ok so here we buy litres (3.78 L to a US gallon).
I've seen on the main drag here in town, one gas station is $110.8/L and the other 2 are $111.5/L.....and the station with the lower price is backed up half a mile lol...over .7 of a penny!! Crazy!
LOL not me its not worth the total 16 cents for the tank to wait 40 mins. Ill just go to the higher priced one and be on my way. My times more valuable. we got the same thing here in US where I live at a local car wash. There are two car washes both wash the car in same manor with same chemicals. The typical wash takes about 7 mins. The one wash is like 75 cents cheaper and will have 14 cars in line and The one that cost more no one. 14 cars times 7 mins... man Ill just spend the 75 cents and be on my way. Yet these same people will go buy a 7 dollar coffee. Yeah I just dont get it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Just to chime in here I don't obsess over my gas mileage but I do track it. Mostly because I like data and I am curious how my patterns change over time and during the seasons. I just throw it into excel with some built in formulas and look at if I am interested to see how it did during the winter or anything along those lines. It also lets me track gas prices in my area to see how they change over time. Like I said, more of a curiosity for me since I knew exactly what I was buying when I picked the V8.
I don't know if you are doing spread sheets and doing longitudinal tracking of price.... that might be obsessing LOL . IM picking on ya :)

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
I don't know if you are doing spread sheets and doing longitudinal tracking of price.... that might be obsessing LOL . IM picking on ya :)
I don't mind, when your job revolves around data you become interested in the weirdest stuff.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I don't mind, when your job revolves around data you become interested in the weirdest stuff.
Oh I can see that. I guess Im sorta like Sheldon from big bang theory (if you watch that show) there is some things I just cant come to grips with if I cant find a purpose for it. I mean yeah sure collect the data for your MPG that's great. but for a daily driver whats the point? I need things in my life to have a purpose and i just don't se what use the MPG info is? you have it you have done the math now what? of what use is that info other then just knowing it? IM genuinely asking not picking on anyone. I just cant see any use for the info and thats why I have never bothered needing to know it. If I got 20 mpg on a 200 mile trip and the next time I got 19 mpg on the same trip what good is that info for anything? There are 700000 variables that could account for that difference I mean in a scientific setting there are to many reasons the data is useless.

Plus its my day off and Ive had to much caffeine and I just want to chat about anything. LOL

Last edited:

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Oh I can see that. I guess Im sorta like Sheldon from big bang theory (if you watch that show) there is some things I just cant come to grips with if I cant find a purpose for it. I mean yeah sure collect the data for your MPG that's great. but for a daily driver whats the point? I need a reason to do something in my life and i just don't se what use the MPG info is? you have it you have done the math now what? of what use is that info other then just knowing it? IM genuinely asking not picking on anyone. I just cant see any use for the info and thats why I have never bothered needing to know it. If I got 20 mpg on a 200 mile trip and the next time I got 19 mpg on the same trip what good is that info for anything? There are 700000 variables that could account for that difference I mean in a scientific setting there are to many reasons the data is useless.

Plus its my day off and Ive had to much caffeine and I just want to chat about anything. LOL
I guess you could say that it takes next to no time for the 1-2 times I fill up a month to plug in two numbers. I think I could survive without the 25 seconds it takes me. Having the data doesn't hurt anything and if for some reason I ever needed to reference it I could. I like seeing the difference in the seasons (how snow affects MPG). Of course the data isn't perfect and isn't detailed enough to have a full comparison but I can see how my driving habits change over the months, years, seasons at a general level.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I guess you could say that it takes next to no time for the 1-2 times I fill up a month to plug in two numbers. I think I could survive without the 25 seconds it takes me. Having the data doesn't hurt anything and if for some reason I ever needed to reference it I could. I like seeing the difference in the seasons (how snow affects MPG). Of course the data isn't perfect and isn't detailed enough to have a full comparison but I can see how my driving habits change over the months, years, seasons at a general level.
You are right, and especially if you just enjoy the numbers. Man if I had tracked my data. My driving gets wilder as I age. I was reserved as a kid and in 20s. Now IM almost 50 and IM barley ever under 90 on the interstate. I also test my 0-60 stop light to stop light LOL

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I track mine for maintenance purposes. If my mileage drops down to 7mpg, something is wrong. if it hits 10, something is right.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
LOL not me its not worth the total 16 cents for the tank to wait 40 mins. Ill just go to the higher priced one and be on my way. My times more valuable. we got the same thing here in US where I live at a local car wash. There are two car washes both wash the car in same manor with same chemicals. The typical wash takes about 7 mins. The one wash is like 75 cents cheaper and will have 14 cars in line and The one that cost more no one. 14 cars times 7 mins... man Ill just spend the 75 cents and be on my way. Yet these same people will go buy a 7 dollar coffee. Yeah I just dont get it.
100% !

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Not obsessed over it, but I do like to know it’s optimal. I get 30+ In both my cars. Summer and winter means I can drive more and won’t be broke lol

Hobohunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2007 Audi S4, 2016 Mustang GT/CS (sold)
I never bother. The days are long gone where you'd be likely to catch a growing problem by MPG changes.
I wouldn't think you'd get a real, accurate measurement of MPG by only using miles driven and gallons put in the tank anyway. Not without taking into account ambient temperatures, and the variability in how sensitive the pump cut-off is at each pump you go to. I know gas doesn't change a lot of volume for a given temperature change, but it adds up.

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
When I started driving my cars were old. Carbs, points, etc. As stated earlier mileage would tell you how the car was running. I still keep track of mileage out of habit. But no log book. I just reset the trip odometer at each fuel up and see how many miles I got on each tank

Don

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I'm not really too concerned about mpg.
My last daily driver was getting like 9 -10mpg when gas was at crazy prices back in '08-'10. That kinda sucked, but got through it.
Imagine if we were energy independent??!?! 🤔 🤔

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I try to focus on gallons per mile. The more fuel im burning, the more power im makin'!
Sponsored