Sponsored

MPG. Why are so many people obsessed with it?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So a little back story, growing up my grandfather would keep one of those books in his glove compartment for tracking gas usage and price and MPG and all that. Every time we went on a road trip each stop at a gas station included a computational moment with calculator and pen and book and a "leave me alone" said to my grandmother LOL. The "leave me lone was because every time the book, pen and calculator came out she would always say "why do you waste your time on that? " .

A buddy of mine also does this, and I asked him about it one day because like my grandmother I don't see the point of obsessing over MPG. He really had no real answer and we got into a discussion about it. MY view is basically why? why do people care so much about MPG? Other then when you buy the car and use that info for making the purchase decision, what does knowing that info do or change after the fact? why even know it at all? My side was the car gets what the car gets. Other then babying it and driving it with kid gloves not much is gonna change what he car gets and even if it did what would you do about it? I mean it gets what it gets and you got to buy gas at what ever the price is at that time and tracking all this info seems pointless. I mean pointless sin the fact that what does knowing this info change? what would happen or change if you didnt know this info? so why spend so much time on it.

Now I am talking everyday cars regular commuter cars. I do know there is times you would want to know like before and after adding a super charger or after major mods just to see what drop or gain you got. but im talking needing to constantly know what it is on regular daily cars. Now I can see maybe once a year tracking mpg to see if the car is still working as it did new. but other then that?

Anyway or anyways for those who put an s on it LOL ( another thing I dont get) just curious of all of your thoughts, why do you track MPG if you do.

Side note I have 4 cars and I dont know the mpg of any of them. I just drive till the light comes on and in 3 of them anyway I drive another 2 days after the light comes on. The mustang dont play if it says it needs gas you get gas :) . Hell I dont even look at the price of gas , all stations are with in a few cents of each other ( in my town anyway) and you need it and you gotta get it so what does it matter what the price is. You dont have any choice its not like you can say well im not paying that for gas LOL or your car would sit empty. If you asked me the price of gas in my town ... uh 2 something I think.
Sponsored

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Perception is reality in all ways. One of the reasons I didn't get a GT is because they're rated (city) significantly less efficient. Even if I wasn't spending much more at the pump, the perception of seeing the tank go down so quickly is a mental negative. You're right, that prices usually track similarly in the same area, but it's nice to know that when I cruise down the shore or wherever, I don't need to stress at the gauge, etc. There's also a maintence aspect. If mpg drops, especially when paired with a CEL, it could indicate an issue. Overall, your stress or concern seems a little overblown. If people are into MPG, let 'em be. Otherwise, enjoy.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Perhaps this title should be changed to GT/350/500 specifically?
HU why? MPG obsessing applies to all cars and owner types. IM not specifically talking about high power cars. I even mention regular commuter cars in my OP.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I don't think the op is talking about the s550 specifically - just people stressing so much about their mpg in general on daily driven vehicles. My dad is this way - constantly shifting into neutral going downhill thinking he is saving money (pennies probably)! I have learned to just laugh and move on šŸ˜Ž

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 5.0 GT/ā€˜16 F150 XLT/ā€˜21 Explorer Platinum
Tracking mpg is a bizzare concept, to be honest.
My dad used to make us keep the windows up (with no a/c in summer) on the highway for better gas mileage.
Once he had a car with a/c, he rarely used the a/c because it lowered fuel economy in his opinion.

This all coming from a guy who dropped $5K on a jacuzzi hot tub in 1980 but never connected plumbing/electrical and never filled with water and used it. It sat in the "rec room" until 30 years later when my brothers and I cut it into pieces with sawzalls to remove it before mom sold the house.

My point is: people spend stupid $$ on stupid things but obsess over 1-2 mpg which maybe costs an extra $10 at fill up lol.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I don't think the op is talking about the s550 specifically - just people stressing so much about their mpg in general on daily driven vehicles. My dad is this way - constantly shifting into neutral going downhill thinking he is saving money (pennies probably)! I have learned to just laugh and move on šŸ˜Ž
Yes, IM not picking on anyone specifically i find the whole thing amusing. I was just curious to the thinking behind it and curious to others thoughts on it or maybe even someone who does it chiming in and giving their view point.

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
People do lots of things that donā€™t make sense, but make them feel better. I donā€™t track mileage beyond what the trip computer tells me, but some people just like numbers and tracking. Other people have compulsive behaviors that manifest in that way, which isnā€™t nearly as bad as if it manifested in a different way.

Where I live there can be a 60-70 cent spread between gas stations for premium fuel (and diesel). Sure regular is pretty consistent, but I shop around for premium.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Tracking mpg is a bizzare concept, to be honest.
My dad used to make us keep the windows up (with no a/c in summer) on the highway for better gas mileage.
Once he had a car with a/c, he rarely used the a/c because it lowered fuel economy in his opinion.

This all coming from a guy who dropped $5K on a jacuzzi hot tub in 1980 but never connected plumbing/electrical and never filled with water and used it. It sat in the "rec room" until 30 years later when my brothers and I cut it into pieces with sawzalls to remove it before mom sold the house.

My point is: people spend stupid $$ on stupid things but obsess over 1-2 mpg which maybe costs an extra $10 at fill up lol.
LOL yes I have seen people I know drive around for 10 mins looking for cheaper gas. to only save 25 cents, which they spend more driving and looking, to then go into the store and buy 40 bucks worth of scratch off tickets that were loosers and they threw in trash. the obsessing with gas is as you said bizarre. And im just why the waste of time driving around for "cheaper " gas to save 25 cents just to piss away 40 bucks.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Where I live there can be a 60-70 cent spread between gas stations for premium fuel (and diesel). Sure regular is pretty consistent, but I shop around for premium.
Whoa 70 cents a gallon I can see driving around for. but even them if im going west and need gas and the station that is 70 cents cheaper is 10 miles the other direction... well ill just be spending more for gas cause im not driving half way across the county for gas.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
In the days with carbs, points, rotors and distributor caps maintenance was more hands on. If your mileage starting dropping then you knew you had an issue. Keeping track of mpg was a primary indicator. The first thing any mechanic would ask is how is your fuel mileage.
Now not so much, the car does it for you.
For some people like me whether itā€™s 500 hp or 125 hp itā€™s still a gauge at how efficient the car is and your driving habits. Some people still care not just about performance, but also how efficient it is. You see it all the time on here someone will say if you have to worry about mpg you should have bought something else. I care about mpg in general and I can also afford it. But, Iā€™m not gonna be obsessed by it.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
if your fuel stops are spaced over 200miles apart then mileage is important. Hooning it is all very good fun but running out of fuel 10 miles short of the garage is no fun on any day. Do i worry about it, it was a concern / consideration when buying the car yes but if the right foot needs to be moderated for a bit to get to the fuel stop, then moderated it will be.
In the North of Scotland can be easily be 200miles between premium garages and a 62Litre tank is pathetic on car that can do 1 litre per mile
Sponsored