Sponsored

Mounting winters on stock rims - bad idea?

the_rage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Just bought a 2018 GT350 and we're about to hit winter. To save a little bit of $$ right now, I thought about getting winter tires and having a shop mount them on the stock rims, then re-mounting the summer tires next year. I called my local shop and when I told him the sidewall ratio, he refused to do it saying it's hard and too easy to scratch the rim. Is this just a flat-out bad idea (vs buying new rims in addition to tires), or should I try another shop?
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I agree with your local shop. Find some used rims for the winter and mount the winter tires on them.

I have rims for summer and winter tires. The rims were used.

CVCashmere

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Swapping tires on your stock wherls twice a year is a fine plan. It would take 6 or 7 years of doing that for a second set of wheels to start to pay for itself.

What size tires? Mounting tires on 10.5/11”x19 alloy wheels isn’t “hard” or “dangerous” (unless the tire is a strange size).

If the tire guy doesn’t want to do it, he might not trust his techs to work on nice cars. Might need to find a shop that’s more confident in their tire tech’s skills.
Sponsored