Sponsored

Mounting 2019+ Anderson Composite Carbon Fiber Swing

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Planned to remove the OEM swing for PPF and install the AC CF swing in its place afterwards. However, as the PPF appointment continues to be postponed until the current situation stabilizes, I decided not to wait. Learned a few things and came up with a couple of questions in the process…thanks in advance for any advice.

1. As @Dunk812 pointed out in a previous post, the OEM swing is challenging to remove, much more challenging than the 2015-2018 GT350 spoilers in my opinion. The previous spoilers are one continuous blade, where as the swing has three sections that are harder to access during the removal process. Also, the OEM swing has a mounting clip on each end that caught me off guard. This explains the indentation on the AC wing that I was wondering about before. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/anderson-composites.134890/page-4
Outside Mounting Point.jpg

2. The OEM swing was very well engineered and well mounted. In addition to whatever adhesive they used, and the sealing washers around each bolt and peg, as well as foam padding in the center portion of each mounting area. For all of the legitimate complaints about body-related workmanship, whoever made the OEM swing for Ford deserves a pat on the back.
Foam padding.jpg

3. Besides not having the end mounting clips and not coming with 3M tape, the forward part of the AC CF wing did not sit flush on my trunk when I test fitted it. Although very small (probably 1-2 mm max) the gap is enough to concern me—not flush is not flush. I may be a one-off, case because talking to @Dunk812 , his sat perfectly flush like the OEM swing. It's definitely not bad enough to endure the pain of sending it back; so I have to figure out whether to put the perimeter tape they provided around the outermost edge as I did in the picture below, put 3M tape on the edge and hope it makes contact, or make a black silicone bead. If I go with #3, I’ll have the dealer’s body shop that fixes the rear panel gaps do it.
Perimeter Tape Applied.jpg

Finally, though I didn't take a picture, the Gurney mounting screws are not the same size as the OEM fasteners. Most irritating, they send long screws only (about 1.7cm) and one of mine took an uncomfortable level of effort to fully seat. Quite an experience considering that the 2015-2018 GT350 CF Track Pack spoiler that I bought from Carbon2Carbon (MAD-industries) a few years ago was perfect and came ready to mount.

Not taking away from AC. I understand they are doing great things for the GT500 and GT350 communities; just sharing facts.

2 x questions:
- Does anyone know what adhesive, washers, and padding Ford uses on the OEM swing? Would like to replicate exactly what they did if possible.

- Which 3M tape have folks been using (particularly interested in thickness)?
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
From what i know, the tape is only to hold the spoiler in place during assembly line processes. I don’t think Anderson, or anyone endorses reusing double sided tape just because the factory did. I know I won’t, and wouldn’t want to deal with that again if it’s ever needed removing. Plenty of hardware holding it in place. Just my $0.02.

Jobsi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350
Planned to remove the OEM swing for PPF and install the AC CF swing in its place afterwards. However, as the PPF appointment continues to be postponed until the current situation stabilizes, I decided not to wait. Learned a few things and came up with a couple of questions in the process…thanks in advance for any advice.

1. As @Dunk812 pointed out in a previous post, the OEM swing is challenging to remove, much more challenging than the 2015-2018 GT350 spoilers in my opinion. The previous spoilers are one continuous blade, where as the swing has three sections that are harder to access during the removal process. Also, the OEM swing has a mounting clip on each end that caught me off guard. This explains the indentation on the AC wing that I was wondering about before. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/anderson-composites.134890/page-4
Outside Mounting Point.jpg

2. The OEM swing was very well engineered and well mounted. In addition to whatever adhesive they used, and the sealing washers around each bolt and peg, as well as foam padding in the center portion of each mounting area. For all of the legitimate complaints about body-related workmanship, whoever made the OEM swing for Ford deserves a pat on the back.
Foam padding.jpg

3. Besides not having the end mounting clips and not coming with 3M tape, the forward part of the AC CF wing did not sit flush on my trunk when I test fitted it. Although very small (probably 1-2 mm max) the gap is enough to concern me—not flush is not flush. I may be a one-off, case because talking to @Dunk812 , his sat perfectly flush like the OEM swing. It's definitely not bad enough to endure the pain of sending it back; so I have to figure out whether to put the perimeter tape they provided around the outermost edge as I did in the picture below, put 3M tape on the edge and hope it makes contact, or make a black silicone bead. If I go with #3, I’ll have the dealer’s body shop that fixes the rear panel gaps do it.
Perimeter Tape Applied.jpg

Finally, though I didn't take a picture, the Gurney mounting screws are not the same size as the OEM fasteners. Most irritating, they send long screws only (about 1.7cm) and one of mine took an uncomfortable level of effort to fully seat. Quite an experience considering that the 2015-2018 GT350 CF Track Pack spoiler that I bought from Carbon2Carbon (MAD-industries) a few years ago was perfect and came ready to mount.

Not taking away from AC. I understand they are doing great things for the GT500 and GT350 communities; just sharing facts.

2 x questions:
- Does anyone know what adhesive, washers, and padding Ford uses on the OEM swing? Would like to replicate exactly what they did if possible.

- Which 3M tape have folks been using (particularly interested in thickness)?

I am definitely following. I ended up lifting my stripe in the removal process so I need to replace that. I am having the same exact problem with the way it is sitting and it’s driving me nuts.i did do a test fit and there is definitely a noticeable gap more on the passenger side even with double sided tape I would not feel comfortable leaving it like that. I think if we can get it to sit flush all that would be needed is the standard 3m automotive double sided tape.

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
From what i know, the tape is only to hold the spoiler in place during assembly line processes. I don’t think Anderson, or anyone endorses reusing double sided tape just because the factory did. I know I won’t, and wouldn’t want to deal with that again if it’s ever needed removing. Plenty of hardware holding it in place. Just my $0.02.
Would definitely be easier to remove with no 3M tape, but I would not recommend mounting without it:

- The tape on the 2015-2016 Tech Pack spoiler could have been to hold it in place during assembly, but there is too much tape on the Track Pack spoiler and definitely too much adhesive on the OEM 2019 swing for that to be the main purpose (per picture). It's definitely there to reinforce adherence.

- In addition to adhesive, Ford used padding. Together, the padding and and tape reduce NVH. Without it, NVH is all but certain.

- The AC swing has two fewer secured attaching points and has an air gap on the leading edge. That increases the risk of the swing loosening without tape; not necessarily flying off, but loosening over time. This is true even if you close the air gap.

- The OEM swing has self locking nuts. The ones provided by AC are not self-locking. I think this is because it was under-engineered.

Bottom line (my opinion), the AC swing is overall good, but it was rushed. They are turning out new products for the GT500 (some of which cross over to the GT350) very rapidly. As time goes on, they'll adjust.

The other member that I mentioned, Dunk812, used a strip of 3" tape every 6". I would recommend that as a minimum to reinforce adherence, decrease NVH, and prevent a "naked" slab of CF from shifting around on the deck lid.

I am having the same exact problem with the way it is sitting and it’s driving me nuts. i did do a test fit and there is definitely a noticeable gap more on the passenger side even with double sided tape I would not feel comfortable leaving it like that.
Is it an Anderson Composites swing? Was hoping I was a one-off.

Last edited:

Jobsi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350
Yes it is a Anderson composite swing. You are not the only one. I read somewhere but can’t remember where that someone was having the same issue and he actually notched the swing to make it sit flush.
I will definitely be using 3m double sided tape , different hardware and loctite. Unfortunately I am waiting for my new stripes to come in before I mount it up. I might mess with it this weekend to see if I can get it to sit flush

Sponsored

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yes it is a Anderson composite swing. You are not the only one. I read somewhere but can’t remember where that someone was having the same issue and he actually notched the swing to make it sit flush.
I will definitely be using 3m double sided tape , different hardware and loctite. Unfortunately I am waiting for my new stripes to come in before I mount it up. I might mess with it this weekend to see if I can get it to sit flush
Thanks. Hopefully @Anderson Composites will address the issue for future buyers.

Jobsi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350
What is pissing me off more is that I put a cheap eBay swing on my car and it fit perfect came with 3m tape already precut all I had to do was pull the red off. I did not think I would have issues with the fit and really you can’t throw in some pre cut 3m.
I spent good money on this swing and so far I am disappointed with Anderson

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
What is pissing me off more is that I put a cheap eBay swing on my car and it fit perfect came with 3m tape already precut all I had to do was pull the red off. I did not think I would have issues with the fit and really you can’t throw in some pre cut 3m.
I spent good money on this swing and so far I am disappointed with Anderson
I'm trying not to be too critical, but I haven't been impressed either.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Have you guys not reached back to Anderson? My experience, their customer service is top shelf. I would not accept something you’re not happy with at these price points. I’m in the middle of installing their R wing (the correct replica one), we’ll see how that goes as well.

Jobsi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350
Have you guys not reached back to Anderson? My experience, their customer service is top shelf. I would not accept something you’re not happy with at these price points. I’m in the middle of installing their R wing (the correct replica one), we’ll see how that goes as well.
I do plan on reaching out to them about the fitment issue and seeing what they have to say

Sponsored
OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I do plan on reaching out to them about the fitment issue and seeing what they have to say
When I reached out to AC about the lack of tape and asked if they had mounting instructions, they referred me to the vendor. Of course, it's a new item and was drop shipped directly from AC, so there was nothing the vendor could do. What vendor did you use?

Jobsi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350
When I reached out to AC about the lack of tape and asked if they had mounting instructions, they referred me to the vendor. Of course, it's a new item and was drop shipped directly from AC, so there was nothing the vendor could do. What vendor did you use?

I went thru lethal performance