Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
Nice “mod!”

I put one on my newly installed roll bar... I discovered the pin was vibrating and making a ruckus when driving... I little wrap of electrical tape around it solved that issue.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I like the ideas you guys are throwing out for the rest of us. I look forward to getting my car back, and doing the nice touches to mine.

As a captain on my fire department, I see so many preventible total losses due to fire. Hell, last night we had one of our town's police cruisers catch on fire (electrical) while on a power line down detail. The officer quickly grabbed his extinguisher and knocked the fire down instantly, saving the car & everything in it.

Sponsored

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I see a lot of people mounting these in the trunk. What happens when you have a battery short or electrical short (cause of most fires) an the trunk wont pop open?? I hope you dont crawl through the backs seat to get to them... Mount them some where inside an easily accessible.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Mount them some where inside an easily accessible.
This ^^^ .

I needed to have a fire extinguisher for one of my earliest track days, so I DIY'd a mount that attaches at a seat attachment point. It does not interfere with the seat adjustment function at all.

full.jpg

The plastic retainer strap has since been upgraded to metal.

full.jpg

Norm

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I see a lot of people mounting these in the trunk. What happens when you have a battery short or electrical short (cause of most fires) an the trunk wont pop open?? I hope you dont crawl through the backs seat to get to them... Mount them some where inside an easily accessible.
Not real practial for sure .........

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
I put one on my newly installed roll bar... I discovered the pin was vibrating and making a ruckus when driving... I little wrap of electrical tape around it solved that issue.
Try installing a Fire Extinguisher Tamper Seal/Zip Tie. These extinguisher specific plastic ties are a tamper evident device, which lets you know if the fire extinguisher has been used. They also help to prevent the pin from rattling from vibration, become dislodged, or potentially lost. They have a very low breaking strength, and can easily be broken by twisting or pulling. Standard install from professional Fire Extinguisher Service Companies. Stop by a Fire Protection Company and they will probably just give you one.

OBVIOUSLY, DO NOT USE A STANDARD ZIP TIE.

And don't forget to remove your extinguisher monthly, invert and pound the side to loosen the Dry Chemical which prevents caking. Annual professional servicing or replacement recommended. Also consider a 2A 10BC Rated Extinguisher as opposed to the standard automotive 5BC rating. Although larger, they have twice the extinguishing rating and also work on Class A fires. In my experience, I can go through multiple 5BCs for a single engine fire. Wet Water works best as the Dry Chemical tends to be corrosive in electrical wiring.
Fire Extinguisher Zip Tie2.jpg

Extinguisher Zip Tie1.jpg

RR

Last edited:

Go Time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Very nice. I have one installed in another car of mine. That being said, if my car catches on fire, I am going to let it burn to the ground. LOL

Sponsored
OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Very nice. I have one installed in another car of mine. That being said, if my car catches on fire, I am going to let it burn to the ground. LOL
You know in the end that really ain’t a bad idea. I mean mine is a base car with zero real mods. Hmmmmmm.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not real practial for sure .........
Very practical. If the fire is that bad that quick that reaching down and pushing the trunk release at the first sign of smoke is too late, your car is toast.
Come on man. Really. The trunk release is disabled and you think you are going to save the car. At that point I would not want the car. Let it burn.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Very practical. If the fire is that bad that quick that reaching down and pushing the trunk release at the first sign of smoke is too late, your car is toast.
Come on man. Really. The trunk release is disabled and you think you are going to save the car. At that point I would not want the car. Let it burn.
Think cockpit mount is much more practical & accessible .

Unbuckle, get out, run around to trunk, go to fire ......?..... Never mind the possible cabin fire event

Come on man.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Think cockpit mount is much more practical & accessible .

Unbuckle, get out, run around to trunk, go to fire ......?..... Never mind the possible cabin fire event

Come on man.
You are going to get out of the car anyway when it’s on fire. The unbuckle part happens also. So if the less than 1 second to go to the trunk and grab it matters that much the car is toast anyway. Burn baby burn.
If you are stuck in the car and it’s on fire are you getting to the extinguisher if it’s mounted in the cab? Guess that depends on location even more. In that case, I’ll concede in the cab is leaps and bounds better.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Cabin mounted extinguishers are the best practice. I will have one mounted to the front seat track, and it will be a 2.5 lb tank. To me, that's the biggest one that can mount on the seat track, and not hinder seat adjustments (another reason power Recaro seats would have been nice). If you can not extinguish, or knock down an incipient fire with a 2.5 lb tank, you probably don't want the car afterwards anyway.

As RRR mentioned above, a 5 lb take would be a better option, but the only way I see one that large being safely (and accessibly) mounted inside the cabin, is to mount it to a harness bar, or roll cage. Most people do not have one of those, so the seat track 2.5 tank is where it's at.

If you are really concerned, there is nothing wrong with having an additional extinguisher mounted in the trunk. This way you could knock down an incipient fire, and have reserves nearby if need be. In my line of work, the only people who have trunk mounted fire extinguishers, are cops. Son's a bitches like to run in and put out kitchen fires before we can get there, lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: