Motor Trend compares 2019 Mustang GT Convertible vs Camaro SS Convertible

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I know I am in the minority on this but I have no desire for a Camaro or Mustang.... unless it’s a drop top. Had we found a CPO Camaro V8 vert that looked good and was priced right we may have went with one. As it is we came across our 2015 CPO and it ticked all our vert boxes. Yes, we will probably trade it in a couple of years but for now, us old retired cops are having a blast in our Mustang vert.

2BEE1BFA-9829-4E27-83EA-FE9C041E915E.jpeg
Totally agree with you on that one. I've always wanted a Mustang but never really considered anything other than the drop top.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Taking it to CamaroFest next month. I don’t expect any issues. I’ve done it before and will do it again. You should see when I drive it to a gig. Two basses, an amp, amp stand, mic stand, tall multi instrument guitar stand and a gear bag. Other than I can’t get the amp through the trunk opening, I have no issues with loading, transporting and unloading.
These pics are from when I packed the car to go to my Friday night gig. Two basses, a multi-instrument stand, a 300W amp with 2X10 speaker cabinet, the stand for the speaker cabinet and my gear bag. Gear bag goes in the trunk. Everything else fits in the back seat. Didn’t have a mic stand because I used a wireless headset mic for this gig. But the mic stand would just fold up and lie next to the instrument stand.

I can travel with this configuration with the top up or down, but fact of the matter is, if it’s a nice enough day for me to take the Camaro to the gig, the top’s gonna be down.

A1561875-5200-47E6-8380-7B9561CFBDED.jpeg
0F3BCC64-D7C2-4B1E-99ED-3CB0E48A6A18.jpeg
8CFE55BC-A1AB-4B09-B016-7269454AE50D.jpeg

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
My GT: three rollers (carry on size), 2 computer bags, 1 backpack, one 10g roller cooler ... AND ... top up __or__ down, with 3 passengers and no crowding in the rear seat.

**boom**

:D

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
These pics are from when I packed the car to go to my Friday night gig. Two basses, a multi-instrument stand, a 300W amp with 2X10 speaker cabinet, the stand for the speaker cabinet and my gear bag. Gear bag goes in the trunk. Everything else fits in the back seat. Didn’t have a mic stand because I used a wireless headset mic for this gig. But the mic stand would just fold up and lie next to the instrument stand.

I can travel with this configuration with the top up or down, but fact of the matter is, if it’s a nice enough day for me to take the Camaro to the gig, the top’s gonna be down.

A1561875-5200-47E6-8380-7B9561CFBDED.jpeg
0F3BCC64-D7C2-4B1E-99ED-3CB0E48A6A18.jpeg
8CFE55BC-A1AB-4B09-B016-7269454AE50D.jpeg

If you had a Mustang you could put all of that into the trunk and still have the top down.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
If you had a Mustang you could put all of that into the trunk and still have the top down.
Well, I don't know about "all" of it, but certainly he would have gotten a lot more of it in the trunk. I've got a 2016 Mustang convertible and I've been pleased with the size of the trunk and I do appreciate that I can fill the trunk to the brim and still drop the top if I want to but I have had a couple of times when the item I wanted to put in the trunk would fit "in" the trunk, except it wouldn't fit through the trunk opening. That is frustrating.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn’t matter how it gets there, just that it does. No style points for having it all in the trunk. My point for posting the pics is that somebody called BS on my saying that I can do it. Clearly it is not BS.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I don't know about "all" of it, but certainly he would have gotten a lot more of it in the trunk. I've got a 2016 Mustang convertible and I've been pleased with the size of the trunk and I do appreciate that I can fill the trunk to the brim and still drop the top if I want to but I have had a couple of times when the item I wanted to put in the trunk would fit "in" the trunk, except it wouldn't fit through the trunk opening. That is frustrating.
Yes. That’s what I was saying before. The speaker cabinet could comfortably fit in the trunk. But it doesn’t fit through the opening. :explode: If I had a coupe I could fold a seat down and put it in the trunk that way, but I prefer the convertible, so it is what it is.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn’t matter how it gets there, just that it does. No style points for having it all in the trunk. My point for posting the pics is that somebody called BS on my saying that I can do it. Clearly it is not BS.
Ok it is true you can put everything in the back seat lets see you leave the top down and see how much of your stuff you can get into the trunk. Then get a Mustang convertible leave the top down and see how you can get into the Mustangs trunk

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ok it is true you can put everything in the back seat lets see you leave the top down and see how much of your stuff you can get into the trunk. Then get a Mustang convertible leave the top down and see how you can get into the Mustangs trunk
I don't see how that's relevant. Let's see you try to get all the stuff in the Mustang that I can get in my CX-5 - not gonna happen. The point is, the car does what he needs it to, and does other stuff he likes as well. Whether or not it can match the Mustang, doesn't really matter, it matches his needs and wants.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see how that's relevant. Let's see you try to get all the stuff in the Mustang that I can get in my CX-5 - not gonna happen. The point is, the car does what he needs it to, and does other stuff he likes as well. Whether or not it can match the Mustang, doesn't really matter, it matches his needs and wants.
cx5 isn't in the same class as Mustang and camaro not part of the argument

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
cx5 isn't in the same class as Mustang and camaro not part of the argument
Point is, people buy the car(s) that do what they want and need - just because one can carry more than the other isn't relevant as long as it meets the needs of the owner. I bought a GT PP1 that outperforms your Ecoboost - why didn't you get a GT? Probably because it didn't match your wants or needs. Doesn't mean your car is not as good, it's just better at what you want.

Just like you could probably fit a little more into your vert than I can in my coupe because you can lower the top and fit larger items in than I can in mine. Just because yours might be able to do that doesn't mean I would rather have your car - mine does what I want and need it to.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Point is, people buy the car(s) that do what they want and need - just because one can carry more than the other isn't relevant as long as it meets the needs of the owner. I bought a GT PP1 that outperforms your Ecoboost - why didn't you get a GT? Probably because it didn't match your wants or needs. Doesn't mean your car is not as good, it's just better at what you want.

Just like you could probably fit a little more into your vert than I can in my coupe because you can lower the top and fit larger items in than I can in mine. Just because yours might be able to do that doesn't mean I would rather have your car - mine does what I want and need it to.
True but you missing the point it's just some good natured jabs between and martinjLm and myself. I'm happy he has a camaro instead of a subaru toyota or any other foreign name plate. Beside my Mustang could carry nearly twice the load of his camaro with the top down. The reason I always say with the top down look in the camaro trunk with the top down.
Sponsored