Sponsored

Motor Trend Channel World's Greatest Drag Race 6!

TTony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 M5
One of the most fun videos I've seen yet.

And I've got to point this out:

Dodge, Ford and Chevy are in this race competing with the big dogs. Some of these big dogs have costs that are not even in the same hemisphere.

I realize a second or two is a big deal to a lot of you track guys.

But damn....it's kind of satisfying seeing this.
Agreed, I used to love the "Bang for the Buck" articles from back in the 90's. Would be interesting to apply the performance to $ ratio on the cars in this test.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Performance for $ almost always favors the cheaper cars. There's no linear relationship between cost to build and quickness.

GT 350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350, 2008 Shelby GT/SC convertible
Great video. Truly enjoyed it, but....did anyone else notice what was missing from the lineup? Couldn't believe the American icon of sports cars was nowhere to be found.

I guess the Z06 Corvette didn't want to play with the big boys.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Great video. Truly enjoyed it, but....did anyone else notice what was missing from the lineup? Couldn't believe the American icon of sports cars was nowhere to be found.

I guess the Z06 Corvette didn't want to play with the big boys.
Assuming you don't know how BDC rules work; the Z06 was part of the competition last year. If a car doesn't receive any performance updates year to year, it will not get invited back a second time. The only way it gets invited back, is if there are updates done to increase performance, or if it previously won the last BDC competition, thus earning a chance to defend its title.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
One of the most fun videos I've seen yet.

And I've got to point this out:

Dodge, Ford and Chevy are in this race competing with the big dogs. Some of these big dogs have costs that are not even in the same hemisphere.

I realize a second or two is a big deal to a lot of you track guys.

But damn....it's kind of satisfying seeing this.

In a prior year's race, they had the BRZ or its Twin; so its not that satisfying knowing there are no criteria on what they bring to this race.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Au contraire, mon ami... when my $65k Shelby comes in 2nd to a $200k+ McClaren, all the while beating out a few other 6-figure cars, I'll take that as a win!

The one thing I have to keep in mind is that I don't do this car testing/driving stuff for a living... and these guys do.

obiwandado

15 Deep Impact EB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
What I found impressive was the 911S, only 420hp and the car ran 11.5@121mph, it did 0-60 in 3.2 seconds...impressive.
Modern electronics are a marvel of software engineering, also, the chassis is second to none at that price point.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Wait until the new 991.2 GTS is soon announced... that'll even be a bit faster/quicker. And we haven't touched the next GT3/GT3RS yet. ;)

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
One of my favorite car quotes was in a MT review about the 911 TurboS. Saved it on a computer sticky note:

"That one will reportedly accelerate from 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds, which is quicker than it took you to read this sentence."

Timed myself, and they were right. Although I had chapped lips, so I had to read more slowly than normal...

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The benefits of AWD...
Its 2WD as noted above..

And only a ~3200lb curb weight
So? It doesn't take away the fact a car only 500lbs lighter yet at a deficit of 106hp is still quicker by quite a bit of a margin. Its the total package..very impressive. The 911S is a Supercar-light that can actually be driven everyday with a back seat, not much of a backseat but it does have one.

Not hating on the GT350R, it was a .1 quicker around the track..very impressive. Its just for my money I would be taking the 991.2S when you add in the ADM you will be paying.

Dave

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Did I see/hear that right? Does Lieberman actually owns that Hellcat??? @3:27.

oh, and a buddy of mine has a Challenger Hellcat. He's still trying to figure out traction. Apparently getting better/bigger/stickier tires voids the warranty??? :eyebulge: :shrug:
Not his car. It is a long term press car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Its 2WD as noted above..

So? It doesn't take away the fact a car only 500lbs lighter yet at a deficit of 106hp is still quicker by quite a bit of a margin. Its the total package..very impressive. The 911S is a Supercar-light that can actually be driven everyday with a back seat, not much of a backseat but it does have one.

Not hating on the GT350R, it was a .1 quicker around the track..very impressive. Its just for my money I would be taking the 991.2S when you add in the ADM you will be paying.

Dave
The 911 is a great car, but BOOOOORING! The engine note that people talk about? I can't even hear the engine!

It's a lot of money for a boring car IMO. If a 911 cost $50k or less I would probably own one over a GT350. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $70k for one. If the engine sounded really good, that would make a big difference for me.

I do think the GT350 is too big and bloated, but the engine is way better than the flat 6 in the 911.
Sponsored