Sponsored

Motor Trend BDC GT350R Commentary (Update: 2nd Place)

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Part 2: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...874CA85C3DE59A26E45B307E8A9B2B47E2A3971A7C6D9

Randy on the SS 1LE: I’ve been looking forward to the new Camaro SS 1LE because the versions I’ve been in have been really terrific. The engine is a big V-8, great sounds, fat torque curve, but it takes a while to get to the redline, I think partially because the car has really tall gears and a fairly wide ratio split. That braking capability was very impressive, almost unbelievably good considering it’s on a Goodyear Eagle F1 tire, which is a pure street tire. It’s not an R compound track tire. The best feature is the front-end grip. All the way though the corner, I could adjust the car with the steering. The front end never died, which is kind of unusual on a front-engine, rear-drive V-8-powered ponycar. The 1LE strikes me as an incredibly good value for the performance and the lap time and just the all-around performance automobile you can get for the price—really great to drive on track.

I have read his reviews on all of the cars tested so far and my interpretation is that I think he was hoping and expecting it to be better than it was. He still had to give a positive review given the 1LE is in contention for Best Driver's Car but i dont expect the 1LE to be in the top 3 when all is said and done.
I agree! But is is not solely up to him. I am friends with a few MT editors and they all LOVED the 1LE especially its performance for value.
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I agree! But is is not solely up to him. I am friends with a few MT editors and they all LOVED the 1LE especially its performance for value.
Jonny has apparently been quoted as saying the 1LE is better than the R soo.... Any opinions that MT wasn't biased before are completely washed away now lol I mean come on, they gave it MR suspension and all of a sudden it is the best car in the world...

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Jonny has apparently been quoted as saying the 1LE is better than the R soo.... Any opinions that MT wasn't biased before are completely washed away now lol I mean come on, they gave it MR suspension and all of a sudden it is the best car in the world...
"Apparently quoted" ???? so not sure? I can assure you he hasn't said that. Biased doo doo!

Aurelius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Johnny is like a second rate Rutlidge Wood... er, maybe it's the other way around. I don't take motor trend's ratings as the final word but I do enjoy their videos. Especially the Best Driver's Car segments, looking forward to see where the R places this year.

And Jason had way too much fun in that Aston Martin during his review of it.

Last edited:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
"Apparently quoted" ???? so not sure? I can assure you he hasn't said that. Biased doo doo!
Someone else posted on here who has MotorTrend on Demand and said that Jonny said that. Maybe he was trolling us, but I wouldn't doubt it given their love for the Camaro lol

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The camaro is such an ugly looking car with massive doors and small windows and such a boring engine. There is nothing special about that car, its parts bin! Everything is shared across their car platform.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Part 2: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...874CA85C3DE59A26E45B307E8A9B2B47E2A3971A7C6D9

Randy on the SS 1LE: I’ve been looking forward to the new Camaro SS 1LE because the versions I’ve been in have been really terrific. The engine is a big V-8, great sounds, fat torque curve, but it takes a while to get to the redline, I think partially because the car has really tall gears and a fairly wide ratio split. That braking capability was very impressive, almost unbelievably good considering it’s on a Goodyear Eagle F1 tire, which is a pure street tire. It’s not an R compound track tire. The best feature is the front-end grip. All the way though the corner, I could adjust the car with the steering. The front end never died, which is kind of unusual on a front-engine, rear-drive V-8-powered ponycar. The 1LE strikes me as an incredibly good value for the performance and the lap time and just the all-around performance automobile you can get for the price—really great to drive on track.

I have read his reviews on all of the cars tested so far and my interpretation is that I think he was hoping and expecting it to be better than it was. He still had to give a positive review given the 1LE is in contention for Best Driver's Car but i dont expect the 1LE to be in the top 3 when all is said and done.
He got brake fade, worked harder on the camera lap, and the goodyear tires are a "street" tire like a cup2 is a street tire from all accounts.

If the GT350 is around next year, they could shift the base model up with the wider cup2 being optional on the aluminum wheels and some other minor work. If the GT500 is real not sure the GT350R will make it, as I'm sure Ford would rather feed it the limited number of CF wheels.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Here is what Randy Pobst had to say about the GT350R after putting it through it's paces at this year's Best Drivers Car comparison for Motor Trend:
Interesting- the two systems elborated in the OP, engine & brakes, are two of the major components consistent across all GT350s...

OP
OP
garagelogic

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting- the two systems elborated in the OP, engine & brakes, are two of the major components consistent across all GT350s...
Yep. Why dance around the edges? Just come right out with what you want to say. The differences between the non-R and R versions of the GT350 are primarily in the wheels/tires. Of course, just saying it does not make it so.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Yep. Why dance around the edges? Just come right out with what you want to say. The differences between the non-R and R versions of the GT350 are primarily in the wheels/tires. Of course, just saying it does not make it so.
HA! Don't read between the lines. What I believe Tank is saying is that high praise was given to traits that are carried across the platform.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
HA! Don't read between the lines. What I believe Tank is saying is that high praise was given to traits that are carried across the platform.
I would have read the exact same thing as Garagelogic. Especially with the "..." at the end.

Biggest difference definitely is the wheels/tires. But there are lots of smaller changes that change the driving experience. Just like the 458 and 458 Speciale, though not to the same extent. But many small changes had everyone raving :D

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
You are correct sir!

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I'd say it's the suspension upgrades but respect your impression on the wheels/tires. I've never seen an R and have a snowballs chance in hell of getting one.

I would have read the exact same thing as Garagelogic. Especially with the "..." at the end.

Biggest difference definitely is the wheels/tires. But there are lots of smaller changes that change the driving experience. Just like the 458 and 458 Speciale, though not to the same extent. But many small changes had everyone raving :D
The ... at the end was my way of cryptically referencing the discussion after the OP.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
The ... at the end was my way of cryptically referencing the discussion after the OP.
Context can be sometimes skewed through typing unfortunately :headbonk: :D