FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Between Walmart and Amazon, I stocked up on about 2 years of oil changes for my Mustang and Mazda CX-5 with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. The price was 23.97 for 5 quart jugs, which is the best price I have seen anywhere. Now, I don't think it's available at either place, and I just bought about a week ago. It's like, if you see it, get it, because you never know. I was able to get oil filters for both vehicles also, but I like to use K and N high performance filters, the white ones, which have that awesome nut on the bottom for removal. Been using them for about 20 years and have never had an issue or problem with them. Just a bit of advice.
yep, and oil I dont really think goes bad, amsoil told me *5 year shelf life* but then stated, that doesnt mean its bad after that, thats just what we recommend to use it by.

I had a motorcycle that I had 5 year old oil inside, when I drained it, it literally had the same smell, look and color as the new oil I put in. (it only had like 1k miles on it) but I only changed it due to age of oil.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
yep, and oil I dont really think goes bad, amsoil told me *5 year shelf life* but then stated, that doesnt mean its bad after that, thats just what we recommend to use it by.

I had a motorcycle that I had 5 year old oil inside, when I drained it, it literally had the same smell, look and color as the new oil I put in. (it only had like 1k miles on it) but I only changed it due to age of oil.
I've personally torn down several engines that have sat for decades in a dusty corner of a garage, a couple of which still had full sumps. Basically it was still normal motor oil, and assuming it hasn't been broken down by heat it would lubricate just fine. I don't believe shelf life when it comes to oil.

People overthink oil big time, but that's another topic....

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Last time I bought oil it was cheap, so I bought enough for 3 changes. I'm good for 2 more years.
But you're supposed to change your oil at least once a year! It must go bad! But, don't worry, I can take it off your hands (at a discount). :wink:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe shelf life when it comes to oil.
In a sealed container without exposure to air and humidity? Yeah, whatta ya mean "shelf life"?

On a similar note, I was looking at a container of some la-de-dah salt my wife had in the kitchen. "Natural rock salt" or some such. Had an expiration date of 2 years from now. So, what, it sits in the ground for a few million years and stays "salt", but then somehow goes bad in the kitchen? I

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My local BJ's club always has Mobil 1 in stock.

Agree on that ^^^

I think these "shortages" are only occurring in certain regions of the US and is not a mass oil shortage everywhere.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
But you're supposed to change your oil at least once a year! It must go bad! But, don't worry, I can take it off your hands (at a discount). :wink:
Exactly what my car sees one change a year.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Meh the GT holds 10 quarts you can burn through a bunch of them before it is even close to empty :)

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Walked into my dealer yesterday because I was getting worried about shortages. Bought 10qts full synthetic Motorcraft and FL500S Filter for $89. Still 3500 miles away but it won't go bad.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walked into my dealer yesterday because I was getting worried about shortages. Bought 10qts full synthetic Motorcraft and FL500S Filter for $89. Still 3500 miles away but it won't go bad.
Before I bought my car, my dealer was touting "$16 oil changes for life", even after I said I couldn't believe that for 10 quarts of semi-synthetic. When I actually got to having changes done and mentioned that, the service manager's hair moved at the thought. We negotiated a discount that time. The next time, we did oil at parts department retail, free labor and filter, as they didn't have a bulk drum of the correct oil and were opening quarts. For the most recent, I had so much fun ragging on the service writer (who's a really good guy), that we cut another deal, as they had a bulk drum this time.
Year For the 3 changes I had, I paid:
Year 1: $85 ($36 off their "normal car-not-purchased-here price)​
Year 2: ~$100 (oil at supposed retail price in quarts, labor and filter free)​
Year 3: $26 !!! (A nod to the $16 oil change, marked up due to 10 quarts)​

We'll see what next year brings. Still, just over $200 for 3 oil changes doesn't strike me as that bad.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can we use this Rotella in our S550s?
I've always thought using Rotella in a gasoline engine was a bad idea. It's designed for diesel engines. If you get any blow-by and start burning it, it's going to do ungood things to your cats.

Last edited:

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Local Walmart has been this way for the last 6 months or so, oil isle is empty. Autozone is in the same shopping center and they are fully stocked, just have to pay a bit more. Same with the O’Reily’s a mile down the road. “Oil shortage” only appears to be impacting Walmart.

Doug

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I kind of follow the FreePenguin's lead. I purchase in advance just so I'm at least one change ahead. Plus, I've been using Motul and it's not available in most retail outlets.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
That's at least once a year if it's in your crankcase. In a sealed container stored at nominal temperature it will not deteriorate. I've bought the Napa full synthetic for my other cars when they go on sale; it's a good quality oil made for Napa by Ashland Oil, the makers of Valvoline. My GT still has a free oil change from the dealer; after that I will either use Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge.
Sponsored