Sponsored

MotoIQ TESTED: Borla S-Type CatBack on 2018 GT (massive gains)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Usually aftermarket exhausts lose low end torque. T
That would only happen if you go too big on piping and reduce the exhaust velocity.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
That would only happen if you go too big on piping and reduce the exhaustYou don't want to reduce exhaust flow or create backpressure.
You're right but for the wrong reason. It's the vacuum effect, or exhaust scavenging, that affects performance. When done right, the outgoing exhaust pulses will form a vacuum that sucks exhaust out of the combustion chamber quickly, so more fresh air can be used in the next stroke. This is a hard thing to accomplish because there's so many variables involved. If there's not a strong enough vacuum, then exhaust isn't being pulled out of the chambers quick enough, so exhaust fumes will remain during the next cycle. A well tuned exhaust can act literally like a mini supercharger. I forgot the technical term but there's also pulses that will bounce back and right into the combustion chamber, and there's ways to control that as well. Exhausts can have these mini chambers built into them to catch these returning pulses.

Anyways, my main point was that the increase in mid range power is just odd, in a surprisingly good way. I didn't think the factory exhaust was leaving so much on the table.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You're right but for the wrong reason. It's the vacuum effect, or exhaust scavenging, that affects performance. When done right, the outgoing exhaust pulses will form a vacuum that sucks exhaust out of the combustion chamber quickly, so more fresh air can be used in the next stroke. This is a hard thing to accomplish because there's so many variables involved. If there's not a strong enough vacuum, then exhaust isn't being pulled out of the chambers quick enough, so exhaust fumes will remain during the next cycle. A well tuned exhaust can act literally like a mini supercharger. I forgot the technical term but there's also pulses that will bounce back and right into the combustion chamber, and there's ways to control that as well. Exhausts can have these mini chambers built into them to catch these returning pulses.

Anyways, my main point was that the increase in mid range power is just odd, in a surprisingly good way. I didn't think the factory exhaust was leaving so much on the table.
You're missing a key piece in your argument: higher exhaust velocity is what creates that higher pressure delta and scavenging. Matching the pulse timing to piping size and length is critical to optimizing scavenging because of the effect on velocity. Smaller diameter piping will increase exhaust velocity at the expense of mass flow due to pressure drop, which is fine at lower RPM (where flow rates are lower) but will become overall detrimental to power at higher RPM.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Im assuming we should see the same sort of gains on the active version of this exhaust?

Shame it doesn’t come with an H pipe as I do especially love a low rumble

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
That is impressive for a catback system. I wonder if the ATAK offers anything above what the S-type. Both sounds great as well.

Thanks for post!

Sponsored

rmreid17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium
I have the Borla S Type with CF tips cat back w/active exhaust, and I am very happy with the deeper exhaust note with no drone.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Thanks for the excellent review. It actually sold me on this system over the Roush Active Lite Catback. Mine should be here and installed within the next two weeks or so.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I already have aftermarket headers and xpipe (from Texas Speed) for my 2018 GT. Is there any further gains to be had with this catback added on? Or is the gains primarily just for stock cars?
I'm not really sure how there was gain with stock manifolds but headers can't be all that different. I can say from experience that it is a hell of a lot louder running catted headers and Borla S-type. That was my combo on my 2016... almost wake the dead loud.

OP
OP

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your reviews are the best! After reading your write-up on FRP PPs it made me pull the trigger on the PP2. Well done!

Question when you did PP on the 15-17 GT. Was there dyno results with the Borla cat-back plus PPs installed?
Thank you for the kind words. I hope you're enjoying the Power Pack 2.

I did the Ford Performance (by Borla) quad exhaust and GT350 lower rear valence on the 2016 GT in the fall of 2017; prior to testing the power packs:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/motoiq-tested-ford-perf-exhaust-gt350-valence.93273/

https://motoiq.com/tested-ford-performance-cat-back-exhaust-and-gt350-valence/

Power Packs were tested in late 2017:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/motoiq-tested-ford-power-packs-1-3.92949/page-8

I already have aftermarket headers and xpipe (from Texas Speed) for my 2018 GT. Is there any further gains to be had with this catback added on? Or is the gains primarily just for stock cars?
As mentioned in the article, removing the restrictive resonator with an X-pipe is probably where the biggest power gains of a catback comes from. I would be surprised if there was a significant improvement of any axle-back on a car with headers and an x-pipe since the X-pipe location has such a big influence on the torque curve. Removing the cats is where you'll find the biggest gain, then probably the resonator. Most of the gains from headers come from removing the cats (long tubes don't make significantly more power than a catless stock header).

Sponsored

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
I just ordered The Borla ATAK Cat-back as I have an active exhaust, Borla claims no drone in any mode, at any speed. According to people who have it, they agree. I can't wait to get it installed, I was between the S-type and the ATAK. I went with the ATAK because from everything I've heard it produces such a unique, melodious sound past 4500 RPM, all while not being raspy. The S-type seemed to sound more stock like(just louder) higher up in the rev range.

Excellent article by the way!

OP
OP

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just ordered The Borla ATAK Cat-back as I have an active exhaust, Borla claims no drone in any mode, at any speed. According to people who have it, they agree. I can't wait to get it installed, I was between the S-type and the ATAK. I went with the ATAK because from everything I've heard it produces such a unique, melodious sound past 4500 RPM, all while not being raspy. The S-type seemed to sound more stock like(just louder) higher up in the rev range.

Excellent article by the way!
Thank you. I can assure you that the S-type has a distinctively different pitch than stock (active or not) in a 2018 Mustang GT. The Atak is very similar and a little louder due to a lack of the small pre-muffler resonators. Either way I think you'll be happy with your purchase. Be sure to post your feedback once it's installed!

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
Finally got this kit installed. I went with the Black Carbon Fiber tips and damn does it look good. When I started the car up in the covered waiting area at the dealership, *EVERYONE* there had to take a look at where the noise was coming from. Cold start this morning was LOUD. Will post some pics and my thoughts when I get a chance. So far, I'm liking it a lot.

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
This may be a dumb question but since there is a few versions of the borla, exactly which exhaust is this? Can you provide a part #? Im not sure if the ford performance by borla one is the same, I had read that its 2.5" piping vs. what appears to be 3" piping on this exhaust that was reviewed. I have read this article 2x just to see if piping size was mentioned but I didnt see it. I would just hate to buy the wrong one.
Also where is the cheapest place to pick this up? Thanks!

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
This may be a dumb question but since there is a few versions of the borla, exactly which exhaust is this? Can you provide a part #? Im not sure if the ford performance by borla one is the same, I had read that its 2.5" piping vs. what appears to be 3" piping on this exhaust that was reviewed. I have read this article 2x just to see if piping size was mentioned but I didnt see it. I would just hate to buy the wrong one.
Also where is the cheapest place to pick this up? Thanks!
As far as I can tell the review is for this SKU: BOR-140745CFBA.

You can find it here:
https://www.lethalperformance.com/b...t-without-active-valve-carbon-fiber-tips.html

They offer two versions, one is Black Carbon Fiber tips and the other is Bright Carbon Fiber tips. Not sure of the difference but I assume the *bright* ones are lighter in color. They also differ from the Ford Performance versions. Sound, appearance, etc. The Borla are 3" from what I have gathered and the Ford version is 2.5".

I just had the model I listed installed. Pretty badass exhaust.

There was a fathers day sale on Lethal with 10% off. I got mine from the dealer for about $1850.
file.jpeg
Sponsored