Most quiet aftermarket exhaust?

mpelon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT California Special
I special ordered a 2021 GT Premium with active exhaust but the shut downs for microchips and gas leak wore my patience. So I found a 2021 GT California Special I am buying tomorrow and put the down payment down already. I get that a lot of Mustang people love the loud sound but I don’t prefer it so loud (test drove it). This GT Cali Spec doesn’t come with active exhaust. What would be the best quiet exhaust to replace the stock with, without gouging my wallet? The Rousch active exhaust is almost $3k!!! That’s crazy! Gotta have my Mustang but need it a little quieter. Any help will be much appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mpelon

mpelon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
You should perhaps just consider leaving it stock as that's pretty quiet for a Mustang.
Are you saying the California Special is quieter than the GT Premium? I thought they had exactly the same exhaust setup. Or are you saying it’s quieter than one with active exhaust in Sport or Track exhaust mode?

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
It will be the same as a gt premium as the cs is an appearance package added to a gt premium. Honestly I don't think the aftermarket makes a quiet exhaust for the gt. Any I've seen are sold as variations of loud. The ford active exhaust is even too loud for some in quiet mode (one review from someone who reviews all sorts of cars said too loud in quiet start in his condo basement parking garage). I find the ford active exhaust perfect but that's me and sound is subjective. I hate drone and it doesn't. Never Camry quiet but stealthy enough to not hear it before you see it. flip to sport plus and it is a different car - full muscle car with rev matched downshifts on the a10 that sound great. I wouldn't buy another gt without it. Perfect cruiser.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Are you saying the California Special is quieter than the GT Premium? I thought they had exactly the same exhaust setup. Or are you saying it’s quieter than one with active exhaust in Sport or Track exhaust mode?

Buy a used active exhaust with the actuators and wire them to a switch so you control the modes so you can just leave them closed. They will be extremely quiet, I think it will be so quiet that the engine sounds will bother you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mpelon

mpelon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input everyone.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Not aftermarket but the 15-17 exhaust is going to be the quietest. Of course it’s only a single tip exhaust but you can get it pretty cheap if not free.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
stock is quietest. But quietest aftermarket is Borla/FP Touring. It comes with a stock-like resonator. I installed the Steeda H-pipe instead and it's lovely.

OP
OP
mpelon

mpelon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Not aftermarket but the 15-17 exhaust is going to be the quietest. Of course it’s only a single tip exhaust but you can get it pretty cheap if not free.
Great suggestion. Didn’t think of that. I might just have to get used to it though and save up for the Rousch active. I don’t want to lose a single digit of HP constricting all the time. That’s why I thought active exhaust feature was so great. I just can’t wait for my special order anymore. It’s not that I don’t like it a little loud, its just when going 25 mph in normal drive mode people think you wanna race. A little embarrassing. But the looks of the car will give me a little pride.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
its just when going 25 mph in normal drive mode people think you wanna race.
eh? RU sure the GT/CS you were looking at hasn't been modded by the dealer? The stock V8 isn't as quiet at the Ecoboost but it's hardly loud. What RPMs are you spinning at when going 25mph that you think people want to race you and not just because you're in a Mustang regardless of it's sound?

Sure you're not conflating sound-tube levels with exhaust? Stand on the side of the street and have someone do some drive-bys at various RPM and you can judge for yourself how loud the stock system is. IMO the Rousch active is just silly overpriced.

My neighbor had the typical, obnoxious staccatto loud exhaust on his Mustang that was sufficiently grating it would drive a man to grab a shotgun. If you want quiet in any exhaust keep the revs down below 2500.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Great suggestion. Didn’t think of that. I might just have to get used to it though and save up for the Rousch active. I don’t want to lose a single digit of HP constricting all the time. That’s why I thought active exhaust feature was so great. I just can’t wait for my special order anymore. It’s not that I don’t like it a little loud, its just when going 25 mph in normal drive mode people think you wanna race. A little embarrassing. But the looks of the car will give me a little pride.

Look at the active exhaust for that comes in the 2018-2021 Mustang. This is not a bad price, 300 plus shipping for the active exhaust and 132 for each actuators.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174938275761?hash=item28bb223fb1:g:FYUAAOSwVGdhP75x

https://www.southfloridafordparts.c...2R3KkvlMaAcw54Dt7E5s5C-m7pCqJe1RoClL8QAvD_BwE

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Or just cut the canisfer open and add batting and perf tube. You're just looking to knock the pulse peaks down and damp the higher frequencies.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Is the car you're buying new? Reason I ask is the exhaust may not get a lot quieter after putting some miles on it but the tone will change. Drive it for a while, then decide. I have a 2019 GT without active exhaust and at first I didn't like the sound at all. After putting some miles on it the raspy sound went away and now I don't mind it at all. I think any aftermarket exhaust will be louder than stock.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Stock is about as quiet as it gets. You bought a 460 horsepower V8 coupe... If you wanted econobox quiet, trade in the Mustang and get a luxury car.

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Stock is about as quiet as it gets. You bought a 460 horsepower V8 coupe... If you wanted econobox quiet, trade in the Mustang and get a luxury car.
Exactly, if the "stock" exhaust is to loud for you then either get the ecoboost or look at a luxury car. I cant imagine being that sensitive that the stock exhaust was TO loud.
Sponsored