More proof that an oil separator is a good idea

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Would you rather fight a duck the size of a horse, or a herd (flock?) of duck-size horses?
Hard to say, maybe the herd of little horses? I know a flock of ducks coming at you for bread is a little terrifying and their duck bills hurt. But how painful will the little horse kicks be? And horses are super smart so there's that to consider too.
Sponsored

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
have had the jlt can on there since 200 miles and at 1450 miles when i changed the oil i had about 2 tablespoons of oil in the can.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
have had the jlt can on there since 200 miles and at 1450 miles when i changed the oil i had about 2 tablespoons of oil in the can.
Interesting, to me at least, is that the JLT can--and maybe the FP can--are not 'CARB approved.' There's no logical reason since, if anything, a catch can can help avoid emissions issues--and I can see no potential downsides--but my guess is some companies just don't want to go to the effort and expense to get approval.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
33K on the car now - does it make sense to put one on now and if so do I have to clean anything up/out first?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
33K on the car now - does it make sense to put one on now and if so do I have to clean anything up/out first?
Threw my JLT on after 12k and did nothing special.

Sponsored

Grumbleplitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Mustang GT Premium
I'm pretty friendly with my mechanic and he said "it won't hurt it, it might even help" so ordered the jlt and he's installing it when he gets back from vacation.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Interesting, to me at least, is that the JLT can--and maybe the FP can--are not 'CARB approved.' There's no logical reason since, if anything, a catch can can help avoid emissions issues--and I can see no potential downsides--but my guess is some companies just don't want to go to the effort and expense to get approval.
Is it even possible to get one carb approved? Main reason being there's no way to enforce where the contents of the can end up.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
By that logic, home oil changes would be illegal. No way to enforce where I'm dumping my used oil (just reminded me I have two jugs I need to get rid of, thanks) :giggle:

CARB regulates emissions, not waste disposal.
I wasn't talking about just disposal though. More than just oil goes through the PCV system. Confirming that all of what goes through these cans stays contained would probably cost a lot of money to test.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
By that logic, home oil changes would be illegal. No way to enforce where I'm dumping my used oil (just reminded me I have two jugs I need to get rid of, thanks) :giggle:

I hate weeding so I started pouring used oil in flower beds.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase

you mean that hole behind the garage is now off limits for dumping oil? :crackup: I thought it was returning to its source all these years.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
What's the odds that in a few years time this may become a reality and you guys will be scrabbling around deleting your old posts about where you dumped your used oil ... ? :cwl:

WD :like:

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What's the odds that in a few years time this may become a reality and you guys will be scrabbling around deleting your old posts about where you dumped your used oil ... ? :cwl:

WD :like:
you know big brother and the tree huggers are monitoring this thread! They can't wait to get rid of automotive enthusiasts and their dirty ways! :crackup:

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
you know big brother and the tree huggers are monitoring this thread! They can't wait to get rid of automotive enthusiasts and their dirty ways! :crackup:
we actually have a used oil reclamation drum at our town recycling dump. So whoever is monitoring this thread.....I've used it! I can't confirm where the dump takes the oil..... but I know there's a big hole behind the leaf pile! :crackup:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
we actually have a used oil reclamation drum at our town recycling dump. So whoever is monitoring this thread.....I've used it! I can't confirm where the dump takes the oil..... but I know there's a big hole behind the leaf pile! :crackup:
I take mine to the local auto parts store. I buy new oil from them and give them back the old stuff.

I did one year poor out the old peanut oil from an old turkey fryer on the side of the house and so far nothing has grown there in years. Go figure, the oil I once cooked with. Makes me think I should do the entire side of the house!

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I'm pretty friendly with my mechanic and he said "it won't hurt it, it might even help" so ordered the jlt and he's installing it when he gets back from vacation.
I gotta believe keeping a pool of oil--I get about a tsp. every 1K miles--out of the intake system has to be a positive (the port injectors only run some of the time). It's a 5min install; most mechanics will charge a minimum shop time (which can run over $100/hr). It's butt-simple and fits perfectly, the only issue is keeping the can from chafing some wiring or other part. You might as well get familiar with it, unless you want to have your mechanic empty it for you. It's arguably easier to pull the unit, rigid hoses and all, than to unscrew the can to empty it. I swap mine out when I take it to the dealer for free oil changes (I'd do it myself but dumping 10qts of oil is a PITA).

I suspect CARB certification takes some time, lots of paperwork and possibly money, and some manufacturers just don't want to mess with it (although California is arguably the largest market for Mustangs).
Sponsored