More proof that an oil separator is a good idea

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
anybody without a can pulled off the intake manifold? youre gonna have a small pond worth of oil sitting inside of it. ask me how i know. idk how much the can with prevent carbon buildup on the valves but just from the standpoint of not having oil sitting inside the intake manifold ill leave my can on. maybe its not so bad on the eco but the gt forsure
Sponsored

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I have the UPR dual setup designed for the Roush. There was a good amount of fluid in the passenger side when I emptied it. Nothing on drivers side.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Is it just the direction of the engine that pressurized one side and pull vacuum on the other? Can anyone answer that?
Sorry, that's above my pay grade.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Is it just the direction of the engine that pressurized one side and pull vacuum on the other? Can anyone answer that?
This is from the workshop manual:

1625760437279.png

And this:

1625760521602.png

from 3rd paragraph:
A disconnection of the fresh air hose would allow the discharge of crankcase vapor into the atmosphere while the engine was under boost.
So under normal operation the air is sucked in and only in some boosted or high load situations oily air is pushed out again. Makes sense for boosted applications: After boost the air compression decreases and the equalization of pressure will cause crankcase gas to move out again. Similar effect that would appear in high load applications for an NA engine during racing situations I suppose, like @NeedForGreen said.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
... I'm sure Ford engineers are totally fine with the blow by else the car would come with a catch can ...
Not necessarily. There's other possible 'explanations:'

- added cost
- owner/operator confusion*
- CAFE regulations (the CC I have on my Bullitt isn't 'CAFE Approved;' I remove it for (free dealer) oil changes just in case)

* My dad was a factory rep for Ford in the mid-sixties (he got several new Mustangs as company cars). Asking your average owner--not enthusiasts like us--to periodically check and empty a CC might be a road too far; Dad said panicked owners would bring in cars with OP gauges because 'the oil pressure drops at idle!' Possibly a motive for idiot lights instead of gauges (cost was likely the main reason).

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Not necessarily. There's other possible 'explanations:'

- added cost
- owner/operator confusion*
- CAFE regulations (the CC I have on my Bullitt isn't 'CAFE Approved;' I remove it for (free dealer) oil changes just in case)

* My dad was a factory rep for Ford in the mid-sixties (he got several new Mustangs as company cars). Asking your average owner--not enthusiasts like us--to periodically check and empty a CC might be a road too far; Dad said panicked owners would bring in cars with OP gauges because 'the oil pressure drops at idle!' Possibly a motive for idiot lights instead of gauges (cost was likely the main reason).
I doubt the normal blow by will damage anything in the average lifetime of the car. I got mine purely out of curiosity and while I'll keep in installed, I wont feel the need to get one on any other vehicle I own. I checked and emptied mine after 1k miles and now just added it to the oil change routine every 5k miles.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
anybody without a can pulled off the intake manifold? youre gonna have a small pond worth of oil sitting inside of it. ask me how i know. idk how much the can with prevent carbon buildup on the valves but just from the standpoint of not having oil sitting inside the intake manifold ill leave my can on. maybe its not so bad on the eco but the gt forsure
I've removed a lot of intake plenums on older cars to get access to injectors, valve cover gaskets, etc. and every one of them had liquid oil in different places of the intake. All of them would have oil drip as you turned the manifold in any direction other than the normal position as it sits on the engine. You can clearly see a coating of oil inside the runners, etc. so that prompted me to put a JLT oil separator on my car when it only had 200 miles on it. I've emptied it twice since I have about 2,000 miles on it and each time there was maybe an ounce or so of oil in it. The second emptying seemed to have a little less than the first time, which is expected as the engine wears in over time (I also noticed lower ET in 0-60 times as it breaks in). It gives me a good feeling knowing the oil I'm dumping out is not getting into the intake.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Just curious (hasn't happened to me yet) but has anyone "forgotten" to empty their separator to the point where it completely fills up? What would happen if that occurred? Sarcastic remarks accepted lol... But still curious about the straight answer.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Just curious (hasn't happened to me yet) but has anyone "forgotten" to empty their separator to the point where it completely fills up? What would happen if that occurred? Sarcastic remarks accepted lol... But still curious about the straight answer.
CJPony site just says it will make a big mess.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

RichardC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
So, is there a safe fuel additive that will help clear carbon build up?
EB with 74k, no catch can but definitely driven spiritedly.
For DI systems, the fuel spray never touches the intake valves. Without a catch can, oil vapors collect on the valves and valve openings. Walnut blasting works to remove these deposits on high mileage cars. My opinion: all of the chemical solutions are pretty much snake oil. If you have direct injection, get a catch can. Port injection cars don't need one. That's one of the great reasons that Gen 3 coyotes have the benefits of both.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
For DI systems, the fuel spray never touches the intake valves. Without a catch can, oil vapors collect on the valves and valve openings. Walnut blasting works to remove these deposits on high mileage cars. My opinion: all of the chemical solutions are pretty much snake oil. If you have direct injection, get a catch can. Port injection cars don't need one. That's one of the great reasons that Gen 3 coyotes have the benefits of both.
I agree that it's snake oil but the seafoam smoke out is fun...

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Depends on the year/motor. Also many will tell you it's snake oil. I have a 3rd gen Coyote with a passenger-side can. I drain a couple ounces of oil out of it every oil change. Would rather that not get sprayed anywhere, regardless of whether the injectors are "cleaning" the valves or not.
Oh great, I was telling myself that with port injection, I really don't need it, but now you tell me that you drain couple of ounces per change, and I here a voice in my head saying, "you know you want to catch that..."

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I had an old gin bottle I was using to save all the oil, but SOMEONE went and threw it away.

*ahem*

Yes, it does do something, the jury is out on whether that something is worthwhile.
Yes it does in fact catch some blow by. I don't think anything harmful it may do would impact the life of the car though. I don't feel anything in the butt dyno either so the robbing power thing seems like more myth to me, unless the power it robs equates to duck power witch we all know is about a 63.72dp to 1hp ratio. Next thing to try is a throttle body spacer to get alll those mpgs haha!
Sponsored