More proof that an oil separator is a good idea

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Of course not. Your GT has port fuel injection. The valves get cleaned by it.
Most believe there is an added feel of power. While not increasing any power it supposedly does reduce the power "robbed" by normal blow by. My butt dyno feels no such thing. It could be removed and I'd never notice. I'm sure Ford engineers are totally fine with the blow by else the car would come with a catch can. Keeping valves cleaned wasn't my concern when I bought it mainly because, as you've said, port injection takes care of that. Felt the need to try some snake oil is all. Next up would be a throttle body spacer haha!
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Imo a catch can doesn't stop enough of the blow by to really make a difference. I come from the VW world, where people tried every kind of can and would still get valve coking by 60k miles or so. It's impossible to quantify how much of a difference it really makes, but so far I haven't seen any evidence that it really does much. A lot of what comes through the PCV system is fuel and water too, so it's not just oil.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
As for the Gen 3 Coyote, a catch can is probably more useful at keeping the intake cleaner. Valve coking should not be an issue. Now for my ‘13 3.5 EB, I run a dual valve catch can to catch both sides. It will capture more in one tank, particularly during the colder months, than I will see on the Coyote between 4K OCI’s.

The 3.5 is still running strong at 140K. It’s had downpipes, CAI, full catback with high flow cats and tuned since 2K. I need to put it on a dyno again to see what it’s still putting out. It was putting 375/490 to the wheels in 2014 running low 13’s on 33’s. I’ve never had any valve cleaning done and always heard sea foam is a no no for turbos.

C2D6D669-CF87-46FB-B185-50C05736CED5.jpeg

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I seem to clear a lot of oil out of my passenger side catch can, I would guess two tablespoons every 500 miles or so. Driver's side stays bone dry. I am pleased that isn't going back into the engine.

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sierra, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1
So I am new to the mustang, but if I do a catch can on mine, do you recommend both sides or just passenger side?

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Way more of a concern on a FI vehicle. That being said, I have a FP oil catch can waiting in my shop for me to install it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The 2015 model year marked the first major design changes for the Coyote since its introduction in 2011. And then again in 2018, the Coyote was thoroughly reworked, featuring dual-fuel, high pressure direct injection combined with low-pressure port fuel injection technology for increased power and efficiency.
Yes, I wrote that Coyotes have port fuel injection.

Are you confused?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Engine had been pulled apart for a rebuild to include new valves and springs. So I guess a step better than a borescope 😂
I would agree! :cwl:

ToughSpecs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Imo a catch can doesn't stop enough of the blow by to really make a difference. I come from the VW world, where people tried every kind of can and would still get valve coking by 60k miles or so. It's impossible to quantify how much of a difference it really makes, but so far I haven't seen any evidence that it really does much. A lot of what comes through the PCV system is fuel and water too, so it's not just oil.
Exactly where I was coming from with my experience. VW was the first using it on “common” cars, I think.

Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Third - there's many threads on here with folks who have not used any catch can and have thousands of miles with no detrimental affects.

/end
To be fair, this point could be made to minimize the benefit for a plethora of things many of us do as Mustang owners. I'm sure people use cheap oil for 15k OCI's and partsusa filters "with no detrimental affects." Full disclosure, I use a separator and feel good when I dump out oil that was headed for my intake.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
So I am new to the mustang, but if I do a catch can on mine, do you recommend both sides or just passenger side?
I had both sides installed. When I checked driver side and found it was bone-dry I removed it again. driver side is harder to install, there is less space because of the sound tube.

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sierra, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1
I had both sides installed. When I checked driver side and found it was bone-dry I removed it again. driver side is harder to install, there is less space because of the sound tube.
Thanks for the info.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
No reason to use a drivers side unless you are constantly hardcore racing on a track. Passenger is all that is needed for most.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have a good friend that manages a large mechanic shop. We have talked in the past about the problems with carbon and DI. His thoughts on it are that most of the carbon buildup cars that come in are driving by people that almost never run the car to redline. He thinks it will always be a problem but the most problematic cars are low mileage and low usage driven by older people/slow drivers.
They used to call it an 'Italian Tuneup". Give the car a hiding every so often to clear out the cobwebs.
Sponsored